Australian Builds Giant Middle Finger On Front Lawn

vbimport

Not “serious” news, but props to this guy :bigsmile:

When a feud between Park Orchards, Australia residents and David Muscat boiled over, the feared “neighbor from hell” constructed an enormous wooden sculpture to flip the bird to all passers-by…

Full story (with pic) here. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599049]Not “serious” news, but props to this guy :bigsmile:

Full story (with pic) here. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Dang Debro :bigsmile:

Muscat also faces a AU$10,000 fine from the Manningham Council after pleading guilty to removing the trees and doing garden work without a permit.

I can see a community requireing a permit for removing trees over a certain size . Just to make sure a neighbor doesn’t send one crashing down on your house .
Doing garden work without a permit is a step too far IMO.
I bet the same community has “laws” requiring lawns mowed when they get too tall.
So can they make you get a permit to mow a lawn they require you to mow ?
The finger should be at the “city council” .
If ordered to remove the finger I think he should just add a finger & make it a peace or victory sign.
There have been a few times I would have put one in my front yard . I wonder what his “neighbors” have done to him to make him so angry ?
This has become considered art in my community & is world known . The Cadallic Ranch built by Stanley Marsh was really a “finger” in disguise at my community.

I must admit, I’d love one on my back garden, that points towards the neighbours living to my right. :bigsmile:

You got a pic you can post of Stanley Marsh’s place Cholla?

Regarding permits and things…obviously here we need planning permission to do certain things, and removing certain types of tree. Probably other things as well that I’m not aware of. Though I’ve not heard of anyone being asked to remove garden art, unless it goes against said planning regs, or blocks someone’s natural light/access, that kind of thing. Yet. :wink:

EDIT: Seriously, I bet half the people in the Aussie guy’s local planning office must have thought, “damn…wish I’d thought of that!” :bigsmile:

Here you go Arachne . They are actually not on Marsh’s residence but on some ranchland he owns . Very visible from I-40(an interstate highway) . They have become a tourist attraction. Regularly painted with grafitti.
He has done many crazy “art” projects . Google “Stanley Marsh Toad Hall” that is his residence.

Cheers Cholla :)…that’s pretty cool :clap:

Bristol’s very own Banksy ought to make his mark on those :bigsmile:

I’ll have to hit Google and see some more of Marsh’s projects :iagree:

EDIT: Something similar to the car art, by Banksy (made from portaloos at Glastonbury):

The Cadillac Ranch has been there since 1974 . They have been repainted many times since then. Graffiti is allowed on them. Banksy could freely paint on them but eventually that would be painted over.
Even a Bruce Springsteen song about it.

There are a few more songs too but not all directly relate.

Edit : I like the word “portaloos” . I guess I learned a little English today. My native language is Texan.

Australia: Home of classy people wearing trackie-dacks, thongs, beer & meat pies.

This bloke isn’ t even in the running for neighbor from hell. By aussie standards he’s just mildly eccentric. Neighbors from hell area the ones that swear and curse like wounded pimps, smash yours car, throws rocks & malatov cocktails through your windows and physically abuse you.

It sounds more like he’s a bloke doing his own thing and a bunch of uppity pricks have moved next door.

It amazes me how people move to the country to get some freedom and peace, then a bunch of city bastards move next door and start bitching about everything. These whining morons must buy their blocks of land by the plan rather than via inspection…

I’m filing this one in the bloody stupid category with “people that buy land cheap because the government plans to build an airport/nuclear incinerator near it, then protest that the government is going to build an airport/nuclear incinerator next to it”.

[QUOTE=debro;2599208]Australia: Home of classy people wearing trackie-dacks, thongs, beer & meat pies.[/QUOTE]

Thongs? That’s Mike sorted then. :wink:

This bloke isn’ t even in the running for neighbor from hell. By aussie standards he’s just mildly eccentric. Neighbors from hell area the ones that swear and curse like wounded pimps, smash yours car, throws rocks & malatov cocktails through your windows and physically abuse you.

It sounds more like he’s a bloke doing his own thing and a bunch of uppity pricks have moved next door.

100% agreed. :iagree:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599455]Thongs? That’s [B]Mike[/B] sorted then. :wink:

100% agreed. :iagree:[/QUOTE]
Not these thongs … :Z

THESE THONGS:

Some people call them flip-flops because of the flip/flop sound they make when you’re walking.

Ohhh, gotcha.

Shame :(…flip-flops are horrible. On either sex. :Z

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599528]Ohhh, gotcha.

Shame :(…flip-flops are horrible. On either sex. :Z[/QUOTE]

Flip flops are great … when temperatures are >30 degrees Celsius … which is about 8 months of the year in Oz, in most areas :stuck_out_tongue:

And luckily, we lose most of our heat through our feet … so barefoot is good … thongs (flip-flops) is second best. Shoes & socks is just awful … especially on the beach :stuck_out_tongue:

:iagree: Barefoot’s best, as long as you don’t tread on anything sharp or stinky :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599568]:iagree: Barefoot’s best, as long as you don’t tread on anything sharp or stinky ;)[/QUOTE]
Go barefoot long enough, and sharp doesn’t bother you anymore … and the stinky … well, the great thing about the bottom of your feet is that it’s a long way down from your nose :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2599570]well, the great thing about the bottom of your feet is that it’s a long way down from your nose ;)[/QUOTE]
Very washable too .
On the other hand no one likes to accidently get cat poop squished between their toes even if it does wash off.
I went barefoot a lot when I was a kid & even teenager. My feet soles got pretty tough .
I never liked flip-flops or even a sandal that is held on with something I have to put between my toes. I have & like the sandals that are held on with straps including a heel strap . They still slip on quickly & if your just around the house you don’t usually need to buckle them . But that’s my preference to each their own.

[QUOTE=debro;2599570]Go barefoot long enough, and sharp doesn’t bother you anymore … and the stinky … well, the great thing about the bottom of your feet is that it’s a long way down from your nose ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL! Like Cholla says, the feeling of getting cat/dog poop squished in your toes isn’t too thrilling, even if your nose is 5’+ away!

I too used to love walking barfeoot as a kid, I remember the lovely toasty pavements against the soles of my feet…couldn’t do that here these days though, if it ain’t poop it’s glass lying around :eek:

I still will nevereverever wear flip-flops though :stuck_out_tongue:

Big time EDIT:

[QUOTE=cholla;2599070]
Edit : I like the word “portaloos” . I guess I learned a little English today. My native language is Texan.[/QUOTE]

Hehe, yeah when I posted the word, I thought…"whoops, I hope Cholla (and any other US folk reading) knows what a PortaLoo is! I had a friend at school whose surname was “Porter” - have a guess what her nickname was :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=cholla;2599581]Very washable too .
On the other hand no one likes to accidently get cat poop squished between their toes even if it does wash off.
[/quote]
It depends on how cold the weather is, and how fresh the poop is …
My father friend, being a farmer by trade, swears that a nice fresh cow paddy in the mornings makes your day better … but now I have images of Drop Dead Fred in my mind … having met my friends mother … she’s just like the evil mum.

[QUOTE=cholla;2599581]I never liked flip-flops or even a sandal that is held on with something I have to put between my toes. I have & like the sandals that are held on with straps including a heel strap . [/QUOTE]
I definately prefer the strap over the toes, over the front of the ankle & behind the ankle approach … the thin strip between the toes wears the skin away, and makes it sore … yuck.

Definatly not nice. Poop from carnivores is gross & reeks like a rotting corpse:p

That’s a shame … I spend as much time barefoot as possible. But basically when I go out, I have to wear shoes, for society’s sake … otherwise I’d be berfoot 24/7 … except in winter when I wear my Ugg-thongs :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2599625]Hehe, yeah when I posted the word, I thought…"whoops, I hope [B]Cholla[/B] (and any other US folk reading) knows what a PortaLoo is! I had a friend at school whose surname was “Porter” - have a guess what [I]her[/I] nickname was :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
Portaloo = handy tree … or at least it did before they started passing public decency laws … the bastards …
Now it’s a big ugly plastic cabinet with a door, which contains a bunch of chemicals inside a box with a toilet seat on it, drops of something everywhere, soaked toilet paper covering the floor and behind the seat and sometimes on the seat, and wet mud/sand all over the floor, and a smell like a thousand privies, when you open the door. It also has a hoop on top, so they can pick it up with a crane and move it somewhere else, to torture those poor residents.

I personally just call them “Ewwwww”.