Audio Writing Speed

vbimport

What is the recommended speed for writing Audio CDs. Does 24x make a difference to the quality or is that just a myth.

I have read a lot of threads on many forums that people have noticed difference in quality of sound when burned at higher speeds and on lower speeds such as 8x the quality is much better. I personally have noticed “some” difference not much only when u hear it thru and good set of headphones but thru normal speakers sounded the same to me but I do think it is true, I’d prefer 12x to burn audio cd’s not too slow and not too fast, right in the middle.

Hope this helps

Alam

In my opinion, it’s just a myth.

For Audio, I think it is a myth, but I’ve had some experiences with backing up games that suggests otherwise…

It depends on your hardware setup, as well as the media used.
Some media can’t handle audio written at high speeds well. This best experienced when using the backed up media in car stereo.

If you use proper media, with a proper writer and a decent hardware setup, burning at 12x should cause no problems (never happened in My Plex12/10/32s anyway)

I think hardware and the media used play a big part on this.
Before my Liteon 32x i had an HP 8x.
When recording at 8x on the HP, and playing on my friends auto cd-player it would skip, sometimes fail to do random seek or wouldn’t play at all.
Now with the Liteon, i record at 8x and on the same auto,using similar media, it works great.
As of media, i use TDK Reflex, Verbatim Metal AZO, MITSUI Silver Gold and PRINCO.

Cya
Drakis

Its a myth
in fact writing audio CDRs at less than the speed the machine
was designed for produces more errors.
If you have a 24x recorder, record at 24x, etc.

It has more to do with the quality of CDR media you are using.
Find a make that works in your audio player, and stick with it!

Obviously there are many factors involved. But burning at 8x produces the best results on my ancient Pioneer CD deck. If I burn at 12X (the max for my Plextor), the discs have to be kept very clean, as smudges cause skipping that don’t seem to affect the 8X burns. As far as sound quality, these old ears can’t tell the difference.

I know there are some audio producers who (I don’t know where I heard this, sorry to the original author), demand that the burn-speed be 4x. Apparently it has something to do with the laser power or something like that.

I always burned my cd’s at the highest possible speed. And I don’t think that affected the quality. (4x with a plextor 4/2/20 years ago, 12x with a plextor 12/4/32)

However, now I’ve added a Plextor 40/12/40 and I’m not so sure anymore. It burns audio at 24x max (plextor limitation) AND when the burning is done, I can actually see the different zones on the CD. (the writer starts burning at 20 x and after about 50MB it increases it’s speed to 24x).
The 24x zone seems a bit “weaker” than the 20x zone (different color). I don’t know whether this decreases quality, but the fact that plextor limits the audio writing speed to 24x suggests there should be a reason. Don’t you think?

Why are everybody in such hurry??

I don’t know at speed higher than 8x but, there was no difference in the Audio Quality of an ACD when burnt at 4x & 8x. The skipping of the burnt audio cd is dependent on the CD-R media & not the burning speed.

Here are my readings: http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41382

I don’t gaurantee that they are right. But, they worked for me.

Wannes

Well, regarding the zones mentioned by you, i don’t think there is anything to do with the quality of the burnt CDs.

When you make multisession CD (even on my OLD HP 8x), you can see different colours on some media like HP - Blue Media & TDK Blue media.

These CDs have never given me errors till date.

I think it’s OK as long as you’re not exceeding the speed rating for the CD-R that you’re using. If I burn discs at the full Zone-CLV 32x, they come out looking like a bullseye, and the 32x zone is significantly lighter than the other zones when using 24x media. The reduced contrast between the pits and lands in the dye increases the chances of misreads.

This disc works fine now, but will it still work in a few years? Who knows.

For that reason I only burn music CDs at 8x to improve compatibility among different players. Also, the propagation delay of the laser and its circuitry has less of an effect at slower speeds.