Audio Types Comparison & Conversion Formats

Hi folks,

I have read some articles but still confused … so I am hoping to get some “Dummy-Proof” suggesstion or guidance …

Q1: A CD is made with Audio Format? WAV Lossless, WMA Lossless, or !?!?

Q2: When converting from a CD to MP3 … what is the Best Rae to maintain GOOD Quality for an AVERAGE Listener … who is not an Audiophile? 128Kbps, or 160, or 192Kbps?

Q3: Can you really tell the difference between 128Kbps and 192Kbps? Now I don’t want to split hair here … just basically can a regular person tell the difference in QULAITY?

Q4: When converting from MP3 back to CD … what format should be converted so it can be played on my Old Car CD Player? MP3 to WAV or WMA?

Q5: What is the BEST Freeware for “Converting MP3 to WMA”?
I use Windows Media Player for my conversions from Audio CD to MP3 and it seems

to do a Great Job.

Thanks,

G!:slight_smile:

Q1: A CD is made with Audio Format? WAV Lossless, WMA Lossless, or !?!?

Redbook standard Audio CD, 2 channels of PCM/WAV 16-bit 44.1kz

Q2: When converting from a CD to MP3 … what is the Best Rae to maintain GOOD Quality for an AVERAGE Listener … who is not an Audiophile? 128Kbps, or 160, or 192Kbps?

I prefer 192Kbps, but honestly speaking I can’t [I]hear[/I] the difference…
I use 128kbps for portable listening…
Some (you know who you are) will chime in claiming that the only way to achieve “GOOD” quality is to use a higher bit rate( i.e. 320k,
well yes maybe, but will you [I]hear[/I] a difference from say 192k ? probably not…Try for [I]yourself[/I]…

Q3: Can you really tell the difference between 128Kbps and 192Kbps? Now I don’t want to split hair here … just basically can a regular person tell the difference in QULAITY?

Based on listening tests(ABX), most "regular person(s), can’t tell/hear the difference…I’m sure there are some (and you know who you are) that claim they can or will train themselves to hear a difference…But who am I to dispute, since I can’t hear what they hear… Try for [I]yourself[/I]…

Q4: When converting from MP3 back to CD … what format should be converted so it can be played on my Old Car CD Player? MP3 to WAV or WMA?

The burning app will decode and convert back to standard Audio CD …See 1st Q&A above…

I use Windows Media Player for my conversions from Audio CD to MP3 and it seems
to do a Great Job.

We all have our preferences…There’s more than one way to skin a cat… Some will chime in with the so-called"BEST" solution/app.(and you know who you are)…
I use foobar2k for freeware and dBpoweramp(not free)…

JM2.5 cents worth…

Here’s my take: :slight_smile:

t0nee1 is correct - PCM Wave 44/16

[QUOTE=gonwk;2241749]Q2: When converting from a CD to MP3 … what is the Best Rae to maintain GOOD Quality for an AVERAGE Listener … who is not an Audiophile? 128Kbps, or 160, or 192Kbps?[/QUOTE]

I’d say -v2 VBR which allocated bitrates between 170-210 depending on the source (more on qualities and settings at Hydrogenaudio’s LAME wiki page)

[QUOTE=gonwk;2241749]Q3: Can you really tell the difference between 128Kbps and 192Kbps? Now I don’t want to split hair here … just basically can a regular person tell the difference in QULAITY?[/QUOTE]

A regular person with good ears will be able to hear it. :slight_smile: Any non-musical person who have basic hearing capabilities wouldn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=gonwk;2241749]Q4: When converting from MP3 back to CD … what format should be converted so it can be played on my Old Car CD Player? MP3 to WAV or WMA?[/QUOTE]

Same as the original CD, but I wouldn’t recommend turning an MP3 back to CD since MP3 is lossy encoding and won’t sound perfectly the same as the original CD. Not a problem though if you just want to listen to it and not worry about quality issues.

[QUOTE=gonwk;2241749]Q5: What is the BEST Freeware for “Converting MP3 to WMA”?[B][/QUOTE]

I’d also suggest t0nee1’s apps, but again, converting from MP3 to WMA (transcoding from one lossy to another lossy codec) will result in much lower quality music. The best is CD > WMA, but I guess that ain’t an option. Transcoding from MP3 to WMA will result in obvious quality changes, even for the untrained ear.

Hi [B]t0nee1[/B] & [B]evo69[/B],

[B]THANKS[/B] a Bunch guys!:bow:

@ [B]t0nee1[/B] … you are One Cool Cat! :bigsmile:

I have never used “foobar2K” … I think last time I looked at it I was too overwhelmed by it’s GUI … it looked pretty busy and difficult … will download and look again.

I have tried dBpoweramp on my friends laptop and I like no-fuss no-mus application … pretty straight-forward and easy.

[B]Q1:[/B] t0nee1 … what happens when you have 4 or 5 different Audio applications on your laptop/computer? Any problems?

BTW, I found Audacity 1.3.7 yesterday and converted one of the MP3 that I am talking about (192Kbps) to WAV (I believe the Standard that you mentioned) … it must be WAV lossless … becuase when I looked at the output WAV with MediaInfo it told me that it is 1411.2Kbps which is WAV lossless … that is pretty large for me when I am trying to put 12 songs on a Regualr CD … I am one Song too large for the CD.

I was wondering if I could use WMA Lossless criteria (which is 470 to 940Kbps) … therefore making my output files smaller and it can fit on one CD.

I believe teh same MP3 converted with WAV came to 47,835KB and using WMA it came to 21,434KB … so less than half and both sounded the same to me.

Now the Audacity 1.3.7 deos not allow me any other Option besides WAV … so I have to look at Foobar2K.

@ [B]evo69[/B] …

Thanks for the link to Lame HydrogenAudio … I had not found that particular site … so I added it to my goodies list. I am not very familiar with VBR and so forth …

My project as you said is going from MP3 to whatever version I need to so I can play the music on ANY Car CD Player …

[B]Q2:[/B] I am assuming WMA lossles will be playable on car audio … right?

[B]THANKS[/B] again guys!

I have more than 5 audio apps in my toolbox, w/o issues…Not to suggest that you won’t have any…
When decoding/converting a lossy mp3 back to wav, the result is Audio CD specs- PCM Wave 44.1Khz/16…
Audacity, though a very nice recording/editing app, and which I have in my arsenal, btw, is not something I normally use for wav>mp3>wav conversions…As noted above it’s [B]always[/B] best to start any conversion(s) with an original source( i.e. CD, lossless Flac, uncompressed wav etc…So lossy to lossy as in WMA>MP3, is not recommended…Though your mp3 to wav conversion is now a lossless wav of the [I]lossy[/I]192kbps mp3 source…The quality is that of the [I]lossy[/I] source, except now you have a larger file… Remember, trash in, trash out…
If your car CD player support AAC, MP3, etc, then keep as such w/o converting…Just burn as Data disc(s)…

Hi t0nee1,

[B]THANKS![/B] From all the explanations that I got … your above paragraph Hit home and sank in with me … Simple and to the Point. :bow:

I think now I got the whole picture … really appreciate it.

One last Q [B]& appreciate Your Patience with me [/B]…

[B]Q:[/B] Can a Average Joe Blow … like myself who is not an Audiophile tell the difference in Sound Quality between a MP3 192Kbps clip and the same Original Uncompressed Wave clip from a CD?

If [B]NOT[/B] … then I am Fat, Dumb & Happy as they say!

Thanks,

You would have to undertake an ABX test using lossless and corresponding lossy versions of the same tracks to answer your latest question. This would help you to determine your ability to differentiate between lossy and lossless (or not as the case may be).

@ gonwk…Just to add to Nick.C suggestion, :iagree:
FYI,you can conduct an ABX test with foobar2k…Just make sure to included (tools>ABX component)when installing f2k…

[QUOTE=Nick.C;2242732]You would have to undertake an ABX test using lossless and corresponding lossy versions of the same tracks to answer your latest question. … [/QUOTE]

Darn … never a Simple Yes or No answer!:bigsmile:

[B]THANKS[/B] for all of your Help guys … I got lot of great info & knowledge here at ClubCD as usual!

Appreciate the Lessons and Help!

[quote=gonwk;2242095][B]Q2:[/B] I am assuming WMA lossles will be playable on car audio … right?[/quote]WMA lossless is incompatible with a lot of “normal” WMA decoders that can play lossy WMA files; I’d say there’s very little chance your car will play WMA lossless.

Darn … never a Simple Yes or No answer

Yeah I wish life was as simple as “Yes or No”…
It’s like asking, 'Do you think if I buy a $50,000 car, I’m going to feel just great? I don’t know, buy one and find out for yourself…
With audio, no one has your ears, test for yourself, and find your sweet spot…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2242759] … It’s like asking, 'Do you think if I buy a $50,000 car, I’m going to feel just great? …[/QUOTE]

[B]Hi t0nee1[/B],:slight_smile:

I was LMAO … when I saw your one-liner above …

Well it depends who is Paying for it! :bigsmile: It could make me feel good if someone else is coughing up the mola for it!:bigsmile:

[B]Thanks[/B] guys!

Well it depends who is Paying for it! It could make me feel good if someone else is coughing up the mola for it

Indeed!..

Cheers.

Q2: When converting from a CD to MP3 … what is the Best Rate to maintain GOOD Quality for an AVERAGE Listener … who is not an Audiophile? 128Kbps, or 160, or 192Kbps?

Your listening ability will improve and rather than having to make new files start at the highest bitrate that will allow you to store your complete music library.

WHEN (not if) you eventually run out of space, don’t panic… buy another hard drive:)

This is under obvious debate but I believe the choice should be made based on available storage space as one of your significan’t criteria. for all effects and purposes everything will sound “fine” at 192kBit/sec.

Most of the time yes, IF they are listening to the “right” (or wrong depending on point of view) audio track.

60’s vintage recordings “Remastered” to Cd? No, 128kBit/sec makes
beatles, Led Zeppelin or Creedence Clearwater Revival sound good.

Some newer recordings, yeah you can tell.

Simple answer? Don’t convert. Like I said in another post recently it’s like tying to reassemble a cow by grabbing packages from the meat department in your supermarket

As for your old car player? Factory or aftermarket?
what is “old” to you?

Most likely it will only play CD audio, it may not even play “Burned” CD’s
Even most aftermarket radios 10 years ago wouldn’t play mp3’s
AND car stereos that’ll play WMA’s have really only been around for 4-5 years.

why convert to wma at all? mp3 is a more flexible format.
If a portable player won’t play mp3’s you basically don’t want it.

I use Windows Media Player for my conversions from Audio CD to MP3 and it seems to do a Great Job.

That’ll change after you use something else… I personally like WMP for playback and organizing my music library FOR playback, but I don’ do anything else with WMP.

Hi AllenDeGroot,

[B]THANKS[/B] for your reply!