Audio sync off on 3 movies

Hi, I have a new Archos 7 Internet Media Tablet. I’m trying the DVD to Mobile to add my movies. 2 Questions:

1. I have been converting the movies to ipod format b/c the quality seems very nice and most of the movies work well on the archos in this format (I think this archos will recognize just about any format). Is this the best format to use for the Archos 7 (since archos 7 IMT isnt an option yet)?

2. On 3 movies I’ve attempted to convert to ipod format, the audio-video sync is off for the second half of the movie. I’ve tried converting them to PVP, generic, etc…, I’ve tried several different settings in the ipod format, and the problem is the same. I’ve also tried just copying the full movie (main movie option). These files work when I drag them to the archos, but the 1st 2 files (VTS_01_1 & 2) work, then the 2nd two (VTS_02_3 & 4) have commentary. I can’t seem to get rid of the commentary.

Note: all the other movies I popped in automatically gave me 720x404 Frame Resolution when using the ipod option. These 3 movies came up with other numbers (like 720 x 306) and 720 x 404 wasn’t an option. I cropped the screen giving me 720x404, adjusted the bits to match previous ones that worked, and tried again. This worked as in I could see the entire screen, but the audio sync was still off for 2nd half.

Movies giving me this problem:

Wedding Crashers, Talladega Nights, and Patch Adams.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Congrats on your new ARCHOS 7!!! I am considering in getting one myself if they ever add SKYPE to it. I travel a lot, in this is one handy looking device, but with a SKYPE add on it would drop lots of other little boxes electric boxes I take on my trips.

Now back to your problem, I have an iTouch for now, and I have the same issue on almost every single Region 1 DVD I encode to .mpv format. It is horrible, makes the movie looked dubbed and I find it very distracting. I submitted all of my data to Fentao, and he said he would look into it. Have not heard back if something was corrcted or not. Hopefully he can find a fix and update it. Now to solve your problem, I noticed that if you encode it to a WMA file the sycn is spot on. Also you can do a vob passthrough and that should give you the same on sync results. The downside is the file size will be larger and your iPhone/iTouch device if you have one will not play those formats.

If you could answer a couple of questions for me on the ARCHOS 7 it would be nice.

1.) If your mpv encoded video is tagged with a DVD cover art, via iTunes will this cover art show up on your ARCHOS 7?

2.) As you add movies to your ARCHOS 7 how are they actually listed on your device when your looking for a movie, alphabetical, by genre, or either?

Thanks
I hope Fentao lets us know his progress or if he needs more information on this issue to help him.

Thanks DREAMLINER for the information!!!

Ting says he is working on it, so I will also stop and hope he can find a fix for it real soon.

Geat news like I said I sent Fengtao some of this information as well, have not heard from him. Hopefully this can be resolved soon.

I’m thinking about getting the Archos 7, but I’d like to see a profile for this player in DVDFab 5 first. I tried the DVDFab Profile Editor on my desktop, and it immediately crashes every time. I haven’t had the time to look into it and fiddle with it, but if anyone else has successfully created an Archos 7 Profile, I’d love to see it posted! Thanks a bundle!

Cheers!
-Peter

DVDFab does not have the poplar Archos 5 & 7 profiles yet, hopefully Ting can find time from his busy schedule to add an Archos 5 & 7 profile. This would be nice since this device I think is the king of the Portable Media Players!

The new Archos 5 & 7 have a maximum resolution of 800 X 480.
It also plays most video codecs, or at least all the ones I have.
I prefer the divx or avi codecs since these do not produce the audio/video sync issues I see in the mpv & mp4 formats, plus the colors are more true to the original disc IMHO. If more Archos specs are needed to create this profile they could be found here:
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/archos_7/specs.html?country=lu&lang=en

Thanks for the confirmation, Dreamliner. I didn’t know for sure if the profile didn’t exist, of if I was just a bonehead in not finding it. Glad to hear I did my homework alright.

My computers are not the latest and greatest, but they do ok. With that in mind, here are some tests I ran yesterday:

I ripped a 73 minute movie from DVD to the Archos 605 profile (720X480, 2-Pass High Quality, 2GB Target Size, AVI) in about 140 minutes. This was after an Archos tech support guy told me there is a 2GB file size limit I need to adhere to. The actual result was a file that was 2.7GB. I won’t know until I buy my Archos 7 if it will work or not. There was no audio synch problem anywhere in the resulting file.

My second test was with a movie 2 hours, 35 minutes long, in Widescreen format. I wanted to try another option to make use of the full 800 wide screen. I ripped the movie from my DVD onto my hard drive using DVDFab 5. Then I tried using Nero 9 to export it as WMV, in 800 wide resolution. The ETA was 28 hours. It’s still running, and I don’t even know if the end product will look right on the Archos 7. So far, this is NOT going to be an option. Looks like nothing can compare to the speed of DVDFab 5.

Also, the Archos tech told me that the Archos 7 will only play mpeg-4 and WMV videos, straight out of the box. To watch other movies you have to purchase the $20 codec add-on. Can you confirm or refute this, Dreamliner? I’d love to hear the truth from someone who actually owns one of these babies.

Lastly, there is the subject of remuneration. Personally, my time is worth money. So is everyone else’s, including Ting. If I were Ting, I’d focus my time on where I can actually make some money. With that in mind, I’d be happy to shoot $10-20 Ting’s way for a good, solid Archos 7 profile. Anyone else up for that? If there are enough of us willing to do so, it might be worth it for Ting to focus on that. It would save me tons of time, and I wouldn’t have to screw around with trying to make things work. I have about 80 movies that I would want to rip to take with me on trips, and I just don’t have the time to mess around with half-baked solutions.

Perhaps Ting should hit up Archos for $$ as well because, as of now, I don’t plan to purchase one unless he does make a good Archos 7 profile.

Thoughts anyone?

-Peter

calipete

Archos does nickel and dime you for extras, and yes you would have to buy their cinepack to play those formats. I think for what they are charging, for these units, they could just throw in those codecs. However they are very nice portable players, so one has little choice. The 2GB file size limit is due to Archos making they’er hard drives FAT32(Boneheaded Move). If they had it in NTFS that would not be an issue.

Ting has a good business model, and he takes care of his cutomers. He is also costantly working on improving the product & fixing bugs that creep up or new encryption they throw at him. So maybe he has just been tied up and has not notice that a lot of those models in his profile are older now and since then have been replaced. Making a spec for one should be a piece of cake for any of them in the know. If I had more smarts I would fiddle in the ini file and add it my self, but I don’t. I think as more people get the Archos 5 & 7 the voices will get louder in DVDFab will add those profiles.

OK, let’s see if this works. Here is the history:

I tried to run the DVDFab Profile Editor on both my computers. In both cases, the program crashed before it ever really opened. In another forum posting I saw where someone said I should delete or rename the flv profile. I renamed it to end with .debug, and VOILA, the profile editor started! Yay!

The attached Archos 7 profile was created using the Profile Editor. I started out with the Archos 605 profile as a starting point and simply modified it to suit what I think is right for the Archos 7. If you’d like to try it, open the ZIP file and copy the profile file (.xml) into your *\Program Files\DVDFab 5\Profiles folder.

Based on DREAMLINER’s earlier post about wmv files having perfect audio/video synch, I created the profile to default to wmv output. Since I’m heavily into quality over speed, I set the profile to “2 Pass” encoding. You can drop that down to one if you like.

Anyway, I hope this profile works well for you. Please post your results so I know if I should run out and get my Archos 7 now. I guess in a way I’m kindly asking you to be my guinea pig. Thanks in advance!

-Peter

PS - In case you didn’t know that there was a profile editor, it’s available here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/dvdfab-profile-editor-out-250904/

Cheers!

Archos 7 Profile.zip (624 Bytes)

Since posting the DVDFab Archos 7 profile yesterday, I have converted three movies successfully. At least they look great on my computer. Now I’m waiting to hear from a few Archos 7 owners. I did find a couple of things worth noting, however:

1. Somewhere in the forums I read where someone complained that the audio volume on the Archos was too quiet, and how he solved the problem by setting the volume in the DVDFab profile to 200%. Based on that, I created this profile to default to 200% also. It’s too loud! I’ve since reduced it to 150% on my computer with great results. Just keep an eye on that when you open the options window.

2. In the video format encoding screen, there are the options of Fixed Bitrate and Fixed File Size. At first I messed around with these and got bad results because the file size always came out too large (>2GB). I decided to leave it at whatever default DVDFab chose and, at least for the last three movies, the results have been great (great picture, under 2GB).

3. Since 800X480 is now a built-in resolution in the Archos 7 profile, the software appears to pick the largest (best) resolution for the given aspect ratio. (NOTE: There are far more than just two (standard & widescreen) aspect ratios.) I have decided to let the software make the best choice, and so far so good. Again, we’ll have to see how it actually looks on the Archos unit before we know for sure.

That’s all for now. I’m sure I’ll have more to add later.

-Peter

If the drive format is true FAT32 the file size limit is 4GB -1 byte.

How do I get the Archos Profile loaded onto DVDFab?

[QUOTE=DREAMLINER;2193671]How do I get the Archos Profile loaded onto DVDFab?[/QUOTE]

Never Mind… :o
Just figured it out.

[QUOTE=90312;2193627]If the drive format is true FAT32 the file size limit is 4GB -1 byte.[/QUOTE]

The 2GB file size limit on the Archos 7 was not my interpretation of FAT32. This limit was a number that was told to me by Archos tech support when I called them a couple of days ago.

I had called them to see what variables I needed to take into consideration when creating files to play on the unit. The tech support engineer told me that, out of the box, it would play mpeg-4 and wmv files, but that the unit itself had a 2GB file size limit.

Until I get mine in the mail, I won’t be able to actually test it myself. Everything I’m spouting off is pure theory, as told to me by others. (That sounds almost like a disclaimer!) I’d love to hear of others’ real-life experience with these units.

Cheers!
-Peter

The following from the web site on the 7:

Video playback**: MPEG-42 (ASP@L5 AVI, up to DVD resolution)
WMV (MP@ML, up to DVD resolution) including WMV protected files
M-JPEG (Motion JPEG Video) in QVGA resolution

With optional plug-in (downloadable from your tablet on www.archos.com):
HD support: MPEG-4 (ASP 720p) & WMV HD (MP 720p)
H.264 up to DVD resolution with AAC
MPEG-2 MP@ML up to 10 Mbps (up to DVD resolution) and AC3 stereo sound (5.1)

No way to do that with a 2GB file, I think the guy was full-o-beans!

I have a Archos 7 IMT and have successfully played up to around 4.5 Gig VOB files using the VOB passthrough in Fab. Anything over the 4.5 Gig will error out and not play. The limit is definately NOT 2 gig. Problem is, longer movies using VOB pass through produce filesizes much larger than 4.5 Gig, so VOB’s aren’t the ideal solution for the IMT. I’ve been using the older Archos profiles posted here by Signals I think it was. One is H.264 output and the other is Mpeg2 I think. Both work fine for me so far. I did purchase the Podcast (H.2644 playback) and Cinema Codec Pak from Archos. They had a sale around Christmas that was $19.99 for both, so that was a good deal and gave me the ability to playback the most popular formats. I bought the 7 after having a crative Zen Vision for the last few years, what a major difference…

RichPA, with your Archos 7 what is the most popular format that you convert your DVD’s to?

I’ve been using the older 605 H264 profile most often for playback on the IMT and my PS3. I’ve also used the PS3 Profile, the Xbox360 Profile for my Xbox360, and the PS3 VOB passthrough profile (which breaks the Vob’s into 4 Gig Chunks). All profiles work well, with the occasional (rare) audio sync issue, though it’s not really off enough in most cases to ruin the experience. I just got it for Christmas, so I’m still experimenting with different profiles. My main goal when ripping my DVD collection is to settle on one common profile that will play well, look good, and have no audio sync issues on the Archos itself, and stream well from my HP Mediasmart Windows Home Server Box to my PS3 and Xbox360 that are used as extenders on my 56 inch Samsung DLP and 36 Inch Vizio TV sets (Samsung in my Living Room, Vizio in my “Computer Room”). So far, The H.264 profile is used the most, though that sometimes crashes the Archos when trying to FF or RW the Video, but that’s an Archos firmware issue (it’s still rather unstable at this point) that I hope is corrected sooner rather than later. It’s hit and miss on the FF / RW crash, and happens with other profiles as well. No issues on the PS3 or Xbox360 when FF and RW. Firmware instability aside, I wouldn’t trade my IMT 7 for anything. You do need the Podcast Plugin for H.264 playback though. I have both the Podcast and Cinema Plugins for my Archos, as well as a few game packs, which are just “OK”, nothing to write home about. I like the Poker game, and play it often.

One other thing, the HD plugin isn’t available yet for the IMT, it shows as “Sold Out” last time I checked Archos’ website, so no true 720p playback yet, at least for the 7", not sure about the 5" IMT.

[QUOTE=RichPA;2194216]I have a Archos 7 IMT and have successfully played up to around 4.5 Gig VOB files using the VOB passthrough in Fab. Anything over the 4.5 Gig will error out and not play. The limit is definately NOT 2 gig. Problem is, longer movies using VOB pass through produce filesizes much larger than 4.5 Gig, so VOB’s aren’t the ideal solution for the IMT. I’ve been using the older Archos profiles posted here by Signals I think it was. One is H.264 output and the other is Mpeg2 I think. Both work fine for me so far. I did purchase the Podcast (H.2644 playback) and Cinema Codec Pak from Archos. They had a sale around Christmas that was $19.99 for both, so that was a good deal and gave me the ability to playback the most popular formats. I bought the 7 after having a crative Zen Vision for the last few years, what a major difference…[/QUOTE]

If you played a 4.5 GB file then the format is [U]NOT[/U] FAT32. FAT32 has a hard file size limit of 2^32 (and because you can’t put a 1 inch peg in a 1 inch hole -1 byte for clearance) bytes and that’s all you get. Unless you are counting bytes like hard drive manufacturers do, they call one billion bytes a gigabyte when it is really 1073741824 bytes. That’s why when you buy a 500GB hard drive it never formats as much as 500GB.

FAT32 DOES NOT have a hard file size limit of 2 Gig, don’t spread mis-information, it helps no one and only causes confusion. It is around 4 Gig… http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/38803/understanding-file-size-limits-on-ntfs-and-fat.html, also check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table. No round peg…square hole problems here. If I had the time or desire, I’d send you the VOB that plays fine on my IMT, but I don’t have to prove to anyone but myself that it plays fine. I’ve been building computers for 20+ years, I know the numbers and limits of the filesystems…

I’ll hook up my IMT later on this weekend and give you the EXACT filesize of the VOB that plays, the filesize as reported by Windows Explorer. The VOB was created using the DVDFab passthrough option and copy / pasted to the IMT. It played fine. I then tried a VOB around the 4.6 - 4.7 Gig range and, as expected, it puked. The IMT storage is definately formatted FAT32, as are most all PMP’s.