Audio settings in DVD Rebuilder Pro

vbimport

Hi :slight_smile:

Recently I bought a license of DVD Rebuilder Pro. I’m not sure that is fully compatible with Win 7, but maybe it’s me doing some errors in setting the program.

I tried the free version before to decide about the PRO version, but the pro version has a strange issue not present in the free version :doh:

Because of DVD Rebuilder (both the PRO and free version) doesn’t allow to set the default audio stream, I use DVD shrink to extract the main movie only with no compression and then use Rebuilder to compress files.

I usually keep in my backups both English and Italian languages, but thanks to DVD Shrink I’m able to set the default audio language as Italian.

When using the free version of Rebuilder, the preferred audio track previously set with DVD Shrink is retained in compressed files, but the Pro version seems to reset this information, and compressed files play audio tracks in the same order as located in VOB files.

What surprises me is that free version seems working good, but pro version is not :doh: Is it me to set something wrong in preferences?

TIA :slight_smile:

Hey geno888,
I also have the Pro version, and unfortunately haven’t used it much lately, or actually don’t use it as much as I should…Only advise is to maybe check your Settings-> set up and check your default audio streams…Maybe ‘check’ the English audio to be removed…
Try posting in Doom9’s DVDRebuilder forum where the author jdobbs resides…

If I get some time, I’ll process/backup a DVD with two audio streams and backup/compress with DVDRBpro, will let you know what I come up with…Till then arrivederci or is it ciao?..
Anyhow, good luck!..:slight_smile:

Did you try looking in Settings–>Options–>Audio Track Remapping?

I just checked, but there is no “Option” in Settings menu :eek:

EDIT: I just found it: is in the main window :o

The audio remapping is not exactly what I was searching for, but seems more a workaround :bigsmile:

Update :slight_smile:

I asked for help to jdobbs, but apparently he seems not really interested in solve issues with this software anymore (because he is working on the Blu-ray version of this software now :doh: ).

It seems that the Pro version of DVD rebuilder works very differently than the free version. With the free version I was able to set a default audio language, but with Pro version every setting seems to be ignored by the software after the encoding is complete.

Audio remapping doesn’t work (I already tried and nothing changed).

At doom9 forums, an user suggested me to use PGCEdit to set the default audio stream in rebuild files. This could be indeed a nice idea, but PGCEdit is a nightmare… definitely too complicated for a noob like me :doh:

Anybody can explain me how to set the default audio track with PGCEdit?

I already tried the following procedure, but it didn’t work :doh:

[ol]
[li]Run PGCEdit and load the movie (rebuild files, not the original DVD)
[/li][li]Right click on the left panel and select [B]EditPGC[/B]
[/li][li]In the extremely complicated window there is a field named Audio VOB’s Streams.
[/li][li]Here I changed settings, so Italian stream (that in original DVD was the stream number 2) should be now the stream 0 and English stream should be stream 1. In this way I hoped that Italian audio stream was set as the default one.
[/li][/ol]

After saving files, nothing changed: again playback starts with English audio track, and I have to manually swap to Italian language.

What I’m doing wrong? Can anybody explain me the correct procedure?

The only thing I can see that you’ve done strangely is you haven’t swapped the stream numbers.

Set the English to Stream 2 then set the Italian to Stream 0 and see if that helps.

For completeness you should probably alter the domain stream attributes as well though.

So select the correct PGC then choose Domain Stream Attributes from the Domain menu.

Then set the language, stream type or audio attributes as appropriate.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for help :slight_smile:

I’ll try this soon (just the time to run again rebuilder because I deleted a VOB file by mistake :doh:

[QUOTE=Wombler;2561451]The only thing I can see that you’ve done strangely is you haven’t swapped the stream numbers.

Set the English to Stream 2 then set the Italian to Stream 0 and see if that helps.

For completeness you should probably alter the domain stream attributes as well though.

So select the correct PGC then choose Domain Stream Attributes from the Domain menu.

Then set the language, stream type or audio attributes as appropriate.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Update :slight_smile:

I tried this, but the only thing I was able to obtain is change names, i.e. the English audio stream is shown as Italian but it is still English.

Then, finally, I found the solution… of course it’s so obvious after you find it :doh:

The only way to set default audio language is run DVD Rebuilder first, then use DVD Shrink to set languages (and subtitles) as desired.

I’d like to add that this trick (i.e. using DVD Shrink after rebuild is complete) is useful also for forced subtitles, that often are not shown by default, so forcing them is very nice :iagree:

Glad you found a solution. And of course, since you’re not using compression in Shrink during this post-processing, you don’t compromise the quality of the video.

I wonder how Shrink actually works to do this. Its such an epically useful little tool for working with dvd video. :slight_smile: And hasn’t been updated in over six years.

By the way, how long is it taking you to re-encode with DVDRebuilder Pro? I just checked my log files, and the last two I’ve done required a reduction to 74% and 60% of the original size, and took 23 and 28 minutes respectively for the whole process.

[QUOTE=geno888;2561514]Update :slight_smile:

I tried this, but the only thing I was able to obtain is change names, i.e. the English audio stream is shown as Italian but it is still English.

Then, finally, I found the solution… of course it’s so obvious after you find it :doh:

The only way to set default audio language is run DVD Rebuilder first, then use DVD Shrink to set languages (and subtitles) as desired.

I’d like to add that this trick (i.e. using DVD Shrink after rebuild is complete) is useful also for forced subtitles, that often are not shown by default, so forcing them is very nice :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Glad you got sorted.

Actually I normally do it the other way around.

I make any changes I need in PgcEdit then run that through DVD Rebuilder.

You can also use the ‘Jump to PGC upon DVD Insert’ function to set the commands via the DVD Menus and jump straight to the point you want immediately (most people usually choose the main menu).

This has the added advantage of starting the DVD at the menu (or wherever you prefer) with the settings you want and also bypassing any annoying intros etc.

You can then kill playback of any of the unwanted material and recover the space prior to compression which improves quality or may even mean you don’t need compression at all.

PgcEdit can be a complicated program but the defaults are set up to protect the user so you’ll not go far wrong if you always accept its recommendations.

So have a play with the copy on your hard drive when you’ve finished with it and see how you get on.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2561524]By the way, how long is it taking you to re-encode with DVDRebuilder Pro? I just checked my log files, and the last two I’ve done required a reduction to 74% and 60% of the original size, and took 23 and 28 minutes respectively for the whole process.[/QUOTE]

It varies depending on the encoder used, number of passes selected and amount of compression required.

20 minutes is probably the average on my new rig using the HC encoder and ‘best quality’ settings but this is also misleading as the faster your machine is the more the overall time is skewed by the time taken for the I/O operations.

Also I’m normally using the machine during encoding and permanently running ‘Folding at Home’ on the GPU in the background.

If there’s very little compression required then on a fast machine the time taken can be more heavily attributed to the read/write operations.

The fact that there are overall speed gains to be had by using different source and destination drives evidences this.

I wonder how much faster I could go with twin SSDs though! :smiley:

[B]Wombler[/B]

^Yes, forgot to mention my settings. I’m doing movie only backups and using the HC encoder at the “Normal”, two pass encoding setting. The actual encoding part is taking about 14-15 minutes.

That 60% backup was quite a lot of compression for a movie-only.

I’m still using the free version for compressing to SL.
I usually do movie only ripped with CloneDVD to remove any audio tracks & previews I don’t want.
I use HCenc with a custom HC.ini in the DVDRebuilder folder & a change in the Rebuilder.ini that makes DVDRebuilder use the custom HC.ini .
My computer is not very fast just a dual core .
It usually takes about 1 hour 40 minutes to compress to SL.
I looked to see if there was any way to change the order of Audio tracks & didn’t see any way to do it with DVDRebuilder free by itself. Deleting an Audio track is easy but no way to change the order.

I have to say that DVD Shrink is one of the best software I ever used :bow:

I just completed another rebuild and this is part of the log file :slight_smile:

Phase I, PREPARATION started.
- DVD-RB v1.28.2
- AVISYNTH 2.5.6.0
- HC v0.23.0.0 encoder selected 
- "Steal Space from Extras" mode (50%) is enabled.
- "Movie Only" mode is enabled.
- VTS_02: 3,468,759 sectors.
-- Scanning and writing .D2V & .AVS files
-- Processed 189,844 frames.
-- Building .AVS and .ECL files
- Reduction Level for DVD-5: 68.5%
- Overall Bitrate : 4,001Kbs
- Space for Video : 3,708,394KB
- HIGH/LOW/TYPICAL Bitrates: 4,074/3,044/4,001 Kbs

Phase I, PREPARATION completed in 1 minutes.

Phase II ENCODING completed in  54 minutes.

Phase III, REBUILD completed in 5 minutes.

Done.
PREPARE/ENCODE/REBUILD completed in 60 min.

I’m using an Intel E8400 CPU (dual core). Maybe I could save some little more time putting the working directory and the output directory for DVD Rebuilder in separate HDDs, but I think that the difference will be of only a couple of minutes, not more :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2561565]^Yes, forgot to mention my settings. I’m doing movie only backups and using the HC encoder at the “Normal”, two pass encoding setting. The actual encoding part is taking about 14-15 minutes.

That 60% backup was quite a lot of compression for a movie-only.[/QUOTE]

You’re at the upper end of the speed scale Kerry as that’s pretty good.

Seems crazy now but I remember when these things had to be done overnight and doing it in the same day was an achievement! :eek:

It’s amazing when you think about it, how quickly things have come on now.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2561765]You’re at the upper end of the speed scale Kerry as that’s pretty good.

Seems crazy now but I remember when these things had to be done overnight and doing it in the same day was an achievement! :eek:

It’s amazing when you think about it, how quickly things have come on now.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I remember that when I was using an old (now fried) Athlon XP2200+ :doh: