Audio Problem

vbimport

I download music video’s from the Internet (legally I might add) and make my own music video compilations.
However, when using Nero 7 Premium I (almost) always encounter a peculiar problem. 9 times out of 10 after the burning process is complete there is almost always one video without sound, just one. Every other video is fine. It can be a compilation of any amount of clips but always 1 without sound. So, I have to alter the offending video (usually editing out the first 2 seconds or so) in some way or download it again.
Anyone any ideas on why this happens ?
My O.S. is Windows XP.

@ Robert , I have Nero 7 Ultimate installed on Vista 32 .
I tried a 3 video compilation & didn’t have a audio problem.
I guess it is possible I did the process differently.
Could you give a more detailed description of your process ?

If it is different I will give it a try & see if I have a problem.

I usually don’t use Nero for this type compilation.

I prefer AVStoDVD with DVDFlick as my second choice;

The video I ended up with only has one menu selection for all 3 videos .
The other programs have a menu selection for each.

[QUOTE=cholla;2693519]@ Robert , I have Nero 7 Ultimate installed on Vista 32 .
I tried a 3 video compilation & didn’t have a audio problem.
I guess it is possible I did the process differently.
Could you give a more detailed description of your process ?

If it is different I will give it a try & see if I have a problem.

I usually don’t use Nero for this type compilation.

I prefer AVStoDVD with DVDFlick as my second choice;

The video I ended up with only has one menu selection for all 3 videos .
The other programs have a menu selection for each.[/QUOTE]

OK, I download music video’s in Mpeg, Avi, MP4 or FLV format. I convert the FLV files to Mpeg. I then open Nero and choose the ‘Make Your Own DVD’ option. I drag-n-drop the files into the ‘blank canvas’ so to speak until the ‘excellent’ quality setting drops to ‘very good.’ I delete the last video I dropped in so that the quality goes back to 'excellent.'
I then choose a background, layout and header/footer titles and I may have to edit one or two video’s, perhaps shave a few seconds off the start or the end. Just to save space, if needed.
I go to the ‘burn’ part of the process and choose to click/check the option (in the ‘More’ section) to skip video’s. So that when the video’s are on disc I can use ‘skip’ or ‘next’ on my DVD player remote to go passed any video I’m not in the mood for watching, a skip function in other words.
I then click ‘burn’ and this is when any number of faults can occur. I sometimes get the message ‘Burn process failed’ either right at the start or sometimes at the end. Sometimes the transcoding process just stops at a particular video and won’t go any further. This is when I have to ‘abort’ the burn process which in itself doesn’t work. I have to use my Task Manager in order to shut down Nero. If none of those faults have occurred and the burn process has been completed without 'freezing and/or locking then usually there will be at least one video without audio. I then have to edit (cut) the first couple of seconds of the offending video or download a fresh copy and drag-n-drop that one into the project and delete the one causing the problem. This almost always cures the issue. But of course I’ve had to use two discs to make one disc. Also, I simply don’t know what causes this in the first place. I’m guessing that these are faults with the program itself and not the files or my PC.

@ Robert,
Using the ‘Make Your Own DVD’ option uses Nero Vision.
I dragged five .mp4’s in for a 4.37 excellent .
The sixth one went to ‘very good’ so I dropped it .
I did the background, layout and header/footer titles .
Then it had the Remote control test window. Next to the “Burn” window.
This is what Nero7 Ultra has for the “skip” so I checked it:
" Enable Forward and Backward jump during playback".
Here is where I varried the procedure you use:
I chose " Write to Hard Disk Folder" .
At least for the first time. That is how I usually do things.
Nero asked if I wanted to burn the project after it finished writing it to the harddrive. I selected yes.
I then burned it with Nero to a DVD +RW .
Both play all the tracks with audio.
I wasn’t planing to keep this but if you think it would help I have some cheap DVD Rs I could burn it to one of them. I doubt the results would be any different.
I’m including the logs of both as .txt attachments .
If looking at them would help.

What I would try is to uninstall Nero from your OS & then install it fresh.
All I can think of is some Nero file has gotten corrupt.

I had to split the one written to the harddrive:

This is the one from burning to disc:

Folder02.txt (73.8 KB)

Folder01.txt (87.6 KB)

Burn.txt (38.8 KB)

[QUOTE=cholla;2693638]@ Robert,
Using the ‘Make Your Own DVD’ option uses Nero Vision.
I dragged five .mp4’s in for a 4.37 excellent .
The sixth one went to ‘very good’ so I dropped it .
I did the background, layout and header/footer titles .
Then it had the Remote control test window. Next to the “Burn” window.
This is what Nero7 Ultra has for the “skip” so I checked it:
" Enable Forward and Backward jump during playback".
Here is where I varried the procedure you use:
I chose " Write to Hard Disk Folder" .
At least for the first time. That is how I usually do things.
Nero asked if I wanted to burn the project after it finished writing it to the harddrive. I selected yes.
I then burned it with Nero to a DVD +RW .
Both play all the tracks with audio.
I wasn’t planing to keep this but if you think it would help I have some cheap DVD Rs I could burn it to one of them. I doubt the results would be any different.
I’m including the logs of both as .txt attachments .
If looking at them would help.

What I would try is to uninstall Nero from your OS & then install it fresh.
All I can think of is some Nero file has gotten corrupt.

I had to split the one written to the harddrive:

This is the one from burning to disc:
[/QUOTE]

I’ve had nothing but problems with Nero from ‘day one.’ I’ve uninstalled and re-installed the program about 4 times. I will take the time to read the logs and in future I will burn the disc using the method you suggest and we’ll see if that works. Thanks.

I also tested the folder written to the hard drive in both VLC & MPC-HC before burning to the DVD +RW. You might try that to see if it works before you burn it.
If it doesn’t work then the burn to DVD won’t either.

Even if I created the video folder with Nero I would usually burn it with ImgBurn using Build mode .

[QUOTE=cholla;2693641]I also tested the folder written to the hard drive in both VLC & MPC-HC before burning to the DVD +RW. You might try that to see if it works before you burn it.
If it doesn’t work then the burn to DVD won’t either.

Even if I created the video folder with Nero I would usually burn it with ImgBurn using Build mode .[/QUOTE]
I don’t know what ‘VLC & MPC-HC’ is.

They are Media Players. You can use Windows Media Player but it is more difficuly.
If you want to use WMP open the first .ifo file (Usually the VIDEO_TS.IFO.)

With Video Lan (VLC) you can just open the directory folder VIDEO_TS.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Same for MPC-HC . I didn’t look for a link to it but it shouldn’t be hard to find one.
Both are freeware.

Here’s a link for MPC-HC :

In some ways I like it better than VLC .
One thing it doesn’t do that VLC does is play folders or files from my external harddrive . It says not the correct region like I’m trying to play a disc from another region. VLC plays with no problem.

I’ve always thought a test before burning is a good idea.
You can use the Nero Showtime for this if you like.
My thoughts on that is it might tolerate some error made by Nero better that another media player.

If you decide to use WMP .
Select File/Open then in the lower right pulldown "Any File (.)"
Usually the VIDEO_TS.IFO is the correct one for using the menu.