Audio Out Of Sync

Hi,

I have an (AVI) DivX3 video clip that I wish to put onto a DVD. It gives the following information in GSPOT:

Video: Codec, 4CC - div3, Name, DivX3 Low-motion, Runtime - 1:02:49, xy - 512x384, bitrate - 1166 kb/s, FPS- 23.976, Qf- 0.247 bits/pixel.

Audio: Codec: Name - ac3(0x2000) Doloby Laboratores Inc, Bitrate: 384 kb/s (5ch) CBR Fs: 48000 Hz.

When it is played in a player it is good quality in picture and sound. I have separated the AC3 audio stream from the AVI clip with AVI-MUI GUI 1.16.4, which by itself is of good quality.

When I put the video clip and the audio clip together into TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to encode it to mpeg2 when it comes out and I play it the audio is out of sync by about 1.5 seconds. The sound comes about 1.0-1.5 seconds before the corressponding video action.

I have also encoded the video clip in TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus and then put the resultant mpeg2 video stream into TMPGEnc DVD Author with the AC3 audio stream, however the resultant DVD Video File, when played, the audio is still out of sync by about 1.0-1.5 seconds. The audio coming about 1.0-1.5 seconds before the corressponding video action.

How do I get BOTH streams into sync before I “burn” them onto DVD?

Many thanks for your help and attention.

gday,
DVD lab has an audio delay feature built in to it. Ive never used it, but it may be worth a try. I like DVDlab better then TMPGEnc DVD Author, and its worth a look at. Is the sound out of sync when its together in the DivX file?

Hi smijo,

When I play the divx3 file in a player, Power DVD 5, Windows Media Player 9 etc, the sound and picture are of very good quality, the sound is also IN sync with the picture.

It is when I have converted it to mpeg2 in TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, ie I put the divx3 clip (video stream) as well as the AC3 file (audio stream, which I had previously extracted from the divx3 clip using AVI-MUI GUI 1.16.4) into it and convert it to mpeg2, THEN the audio is out of sync with the video.

I have also used TMPGEnc 2.5 Plus and converted the video stream ONLY into mpeg2 THEN I have put the mpeg2 video stream WITH the AC3 audio stream into TMPGEnc DVD Author and converted it into a DVD Video File ready for burning. When I play the DVD Video File before it is burn’t the audio is OUT of sync with the video.

The original AC3 file from the DVD should have the amount of delay as part of the file name when it is demuxed from the DVD (VIDEONAME_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH-163ms for ex.) You just need to set you deley to match the original. I would also suggest to use the AC3 audio rather than convert to MP2 audio. Your DVD will be more compatible and will sound better since the audio will not have to be re-encoded. I also suggest using DVDLab for the authoring process.

Hi,

I found the “audio delay” feature built into DVDlab and was able to get the audio sync problem sorted out, and get the DVD Video File burn’t onto a DVDR, the audio is in sync now on the DVDR, it was really straight forward.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.