Audio out of sync with downloaded movie

vbimport

ok. im a noob here… in both respects…

im still in the process of learning a few things…

heres my situation… i just recently downloaded a divx (avi file) and when i play it in my player (elecard mpeg 2 player) the audio is going faster than the video… youll hear em talk… and then. .like 2 seconds later… youll see theyre voices move to what they just said…

any ideas on where to start?

is this a file issue? (maybe the file is corrupted or otherwise screwed up… ?) or is this a player issue?

thanks for any heads up

Is the audio out of synch at a constant rate - ie does it stay 2 seconds out for the entire film??

Yea… im assuming its a divx rip (its an .avi file)

im using elecard mpeg player to view it… recently, i solved an earlier issue… there was no sound AT ALL… it was encoded with ac3 audio codec i beleive… so i installed that particular codec… and i have sound…

but now… its like… its consistanly behind…

i tried one of the methods mentioned earlier in this post but i get an error message when i try to open that file… its still playable…just the sound is off…

eventually. i wanna burn it as a vcd (i dont have a dvd burner installed on my system)

ii dont know if i the sound is consistanly behind. i do know. that it is behind… but i dunno if its like… 1 sec behind… then gets more and more delayed… i just know… youll hear someoneo talking… and then youll see theyre lips move 2 seconds later…

any thoughts?

oh yea… i downloaded this off of a program like kazaa its possible the person i d/l it off of… didnt do it right…

but… is there a way i can fix it?

hmmm… not sure about editing an ac3 file, but ONE way to do it would be to use virtualdub to extract the audio as a wav file.
Then use a sound editor to add 1 or 2 seconds of silence at the start of the sound file.
Save it and use virtualdub to rebuild the avi with the new sound file.
Since you are burning to vcd anyway and need to convert to mpeg, you could just convert it to mpeg as-is (with the audio problem) and follow the instructions here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59487

but how would i figure out how many seconds the audio delay is? thats whats throwing me off

also…heres another idea

the audio speed doesnt change right?

cus… i noticed… the frame rate is at like 25 fps… if i could bump it up to around 29-30 (the normal fps for motion pictures) would that make the video “catch” up to the audio???

leave the frame rate alone. All you would do is end up with choppy video
Getting the audio correct is a matter of guessing the delay
Do it approximately once and try it out.
Then increase or decrease the delay until you get it right.
It would be virtually impossible to write a program to compare an audio track to a video one to see where the sounds match up to the action.

Flymo

hmmmmm

so i wanna “split” the audio and video, add a 1-2 second delay to the audio (or silence) then re “mix” the audio and video?

id have to convert it from .avi to .mpg right? in order to split the channels ? (im an amature dj… hence the audio/mixing analogies lol)

convert it to mpg first…
then split the audio/video
add a 1-2 second silence to the start of the film
then mix the audio and video together?

yeah.
Convert it to mpeg first and then follow the guide on the link I gave for separating the audio out and adding the delay

Flymo

okies… i gotta pretty good understanding on what i gotta do

i wanna use virtual dub to split the avi file into audio and video?

then edit the wave file.
then essnetially remix the vid and audio…

cool…

any idea where i can get virtual dub?

you COULD do it that way, or read my last post instead.
You have to convert to mpeg for VCD, so do that then follow the detailed instructions in the link I gave for correcting audio synch problems in mpegs.
6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other really.
As for virtualdub…google is my friend.

Flymo

OK… flymo. .thanks for the help… but i encountered another problem

After i converted it to an mpeg file… .and played it back in my media player (elecard mpeg player) i got NO sound whatsoever… (I DID HAVE IT with elecard though… as the original avi file) also. i downloaded that “virtual dub” and tried to seperate the audio from the video… and i got a error message:

“no audio decompresser found to decompress the source audio format”

whatever the hell that means (obviously it cant “read” the audio format… aka… ac3)

any thoughts??

Use a different video converter. I have found that some coverters will proccess my AVI file with sound and others will proccess the same file without it. I think that it depends on whether or not the converter supports that particular codec or not.

[QUOTE=nightprowler537;1937678]Use a different video converter. I have found that some coverters will proccess my AVI file with sound and others will proccess the same file without it. I think that it depends on whether or not the converter supports that particular codec or not.[/QUOTE]
Hi nightprowler, Welcome to the forum. Did you realise you posted on a almost 4 year old thread?

:iagree:[quote=tgidday;1937686]Hi nightprowler, Welcome to the forum. Did you realise you posted on a almost 4 year old thread?[/quote]
That happens sometimes when new users use the search function, but you should always look at the date of the post you are answering, in this case the OP has not posted in 4 years. It is nice of you to try and help though, welcome to CDF.:iagree: