Audio extraction from a DVD

vbimport

I have a home made DVD that has a video track that I want to get ONLY the audio off of. The file is a .VOB file on the disc, but is there a free simple utility that can get the audio only out of this .VOB file?

DVD Audio Extractor is a good option.

[QUOTE=buscuitboy;2012371]I have a home made DVD that has a video track that I want to get ONLY the audio off of. The file is a .VOB file on the disc, but is there a free simple utility that can get the audio only out of this .VOB file?[/QUOTE]

There are two powerful and easy to use audio extractors, so no need to buy.

AoA Audio Extractor is pretty simple to use and has decent amount of settings to control the properties of the output MP3.

SUPER © is a far more powerful software that has more overall abilities. Works perfect for audio extraction.

Both are better than DVD Audio Extractor, ‘AND’ you don’t have to buy them like you do with D A E.

Try MediaCoder version 0.6.1.4088
Add the .vob
Transcode pulldown
Transcode audio only
I used waveform for a .wav file but lamemp3 should work too

[QUOTE=cholla;2029188]I used waveform for a .wav file but lamemp3 should work too[/QUOTE]

Wouldn’t creating a .wav file to way too large??.. with no added benefits whatsoever??

MBK; buscuitboy didn’t specify what type of audio file he wanted .Any kind you would like me to try?
The .wav was 270MB from a .99GB .vob.I just took a larger one from a ripped movie.I already had MediaCoder set to do this from the other day I just didn’t reset it to something else,
Do you think buscuitboy was looking for a audio .vob ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2029200]MBK; buscuitboy didn’t specify what type of audio file he wanted .Any kind you would like me to try?
The .wav was 270MB from a .99GB .vob.I just took a larger one from a ripped movie.I already had MediaCoder set to do this from the other day I just didn’t reset it to something else,
Do you think buscuitboy was looking for a audio .vob ?[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as an audio .vob, I’m surprised that you wouldn’t know that???

270 MB audio file from a 1Gig video is far too big is it not?.. with no added quality increase whatsoever. Full 4.3 GB movie usually that big of a filesize for the entire DVDs audio. That’s what I’m trying to state.

If the audio you extracted as a .wav file is 270 MB, that same audio extracted as AC3 or MP3 is around 50 MB or less (maybe 20 MBs for MP3), and it sounds just as good if not better.

MBK; It might not be a true .vob .MediaCoder didn’t have .vob in it’s conversions or I haven’t found it .I’ve only had the program about a week.
I did take the .wav I converted before & converted it with Super to
vob DVD Compliant selected ffmpeg Audio 48000 2 channel Bitrate 192 kbps.It created a .vob file .This file played in VLC.
I don’t know why a .vob couldn’t be audio only but I would be happy to see an explanation of why it couldn’t.This would be my first try at converting a .wav to a .vob.

[QUOTE=cholla;2029246]MBK; It might not be a true .vob .MediaCoder didn’t have .vob in it’s conversions or I haven’t found it .I’ve only had the program about a week.
I did take the .wav I converted before & converted it with Super to
vob DVD Compliant selected ffmpeg Audio 48000 2 channel Bitrate 192 kbps.It created a .vob file .This file played in VLC.
I don’t know why a .vob couldn’t be audio only but I would be happy to see an explanation of why it couldn’t.This would be my first try at converting a .wav to a .vob.[/QUOTE]

.vob stands for VideoOBject file. It is a video container for video in the DVD compliant files (VOB, IFO, BUP), the audio is in the video, sop in your case, you just created probalby a black screen (which is of absolute no use) with the audio… completely useless method.

What I again am stating to you is that he could extract the audio only from the DVD as an MP3 (if he plans to listen to it on his stereo or MP3 player), or as an AC3 audio (which has the best quality and is nearly ten times smaller of a file than a .WAV).

Both the .MP3 and the .AC3 will be far smnaller than the .WAV… AND it would sound just as good, or better as is the case of the AC3 (just can’t play the AC3 on most MP3 players)

Well, buddies…I go along with what MBK said…extract it with [B]Super[/B]…it’s [B]free and fast[/B] and he can export it to whatever format he wants…mp3, AC3, WAV etc

…so, he can have his cake AND eat it too…or in his case, his “buscuit” (I wonder what a “buscuit” is?)

Plus…he asked 3 weeks ago and we only just got around to answering him :doh:

MBK;I did know vob stands for VideoOBject file but I was just messing around & Super did convert a “.vob” file with audio only but it wasn’t really a .vob it just claimed to be.In other words Super created it with a .vob extension.So I thought it just might be a blank screen .vob.I agree not much use.
I actually did a .wav 270MB,a .mp3 33.8MB,&2 .ac3’s 33.8 MB.The .ac3 Super did the sound had breaks but a little fine tuning on the settings might have cured that,The .ac3 MediaCoder did sounded fine.
Thanks for the explanations.I’m still learning so the more times I read something the better it sticks.
btw the '.vob" looked strange in IFOEdit.

PgcDemux will extract the audio, video and subs. It’s very small and free.

[QUOTE=cholla;2029377]MBK;I did know vob stands for VideoOBject file but I was just messing around & Super did convert a “.vob” file with audio only but it wasn’t really a .vob it just claimed to be.In other words Super created it with a .vob extension.So I thought it just might be a blank screen .vob.I agree not much use.
I actually did a .wav 270MB,a .mp3 33.8MB,&2 .ac3’s 33.8 MB.The .ac3 Super did the sound had breaks but a little fine tuning on the settings might have cured that,The .ac3 MediaCoder did sounded fine.
Thanks for the explanations.I’m still learning so the more times I read something the better it sticks.
btw the '.vob" looked strange in IFOEdit.[/QUOTE]

If the AC3 that you extracted with Super had any ‘breaks’, it is most likely because your system lacks the processing prowess… most probable, because the audio that you are extracting is already AC3, so in essence all Super is doing is demuxing the audio and changing the bitrate if that’s what you chose.

Super would sill be my choice, but as Deanimator already stated, it’s all probably moot since Biscuitboy is probably long gone … didn’t notice myself that he had posted that long ago…LOL

BTW… I’d be curious to see for myself how that 'WAV file forced into a VOB looks in IFOEdit, or VOBEdit for that matter. I think I’ll take a look for myself when I get home later… I’m posting this from my Motorola Q Smartphone… :slight_smile:

Just to update MediaCoder did a really poor job on the conversion.I think that’s why it looked so strang in IfoEdit. The Super one looked & sounded much better.So anything I use MediaCoder for I’m going to check it out pretty good before I work with the converted file & waste time.