Audio Editing Software

Does anyone know if there is audio editing software that can create MP3 files with a bit rate >320Kbps?

I’m not a very expert in audio coding, but I think that coding bitrate is independent from audio application. It is codec (such as LAME for example) that determine at which max bitrate is possible to encode. I don’t know if there is any mp3 codec able to encode >320kbps, but I never seen one.

If you want better quality, maybe can use a different codec, possibly a not-lossy one.

most audio editing programs do what you want to do,.

try Audacity, Audacity is a free open source editing and multitrack software. No track limits, no midi support.

you will need the Lame_enc.dll engine to get reasonable quality. it will encode at 320 kbs without problems.

follow link for free download http://audacity.sourceforge.net/?lang=en

Well, assuming you want to have better quality and have chosen > 320 kbps for this reason, you are very close to lossless compression. That one, however, will not be played by stand-alone devices.
If you are still interested, I recommend http://www.monkeysaudio.com. It is freeware.

One of the best for conversion, tag edit, and easy view by cursor is next >

dbpoweramp

And for burning Audio/MP3 cd’s (normalise volume, mixing, …) see what you can do with Acoustica

could ypu please explain WHAT will NOT be played on a stand alone device ?

Sorry for sounding lame, but why would you want more than 320kbps? I dont think that there is a human being that can actually hear a difference in quality over 256kbps, and most of us cant hear it over 192kbps. why bother? it will just make your file bigger.

Yep, more than 320kbps is really not useful at all, just a waste of space for nothing.

Originally Posted by urvieh
That one, however, will not be played by stand-alone devices.

I think some players can play mp3 with that high bitrate. Majority cannot, sure.

all players today can play 320 kbs files, no sweat !, even hq vbr and abr files can be played. :slight_smile:

Have a look at WavePad Audio Editing Software.
It supports most formats, edit functions, effects and sample rate conversion.
There is both freeware and masters edition.

Professional Audio Software
NCH Swift Sound Software

I did with FlexiMusic Wave Editor but that also limits to 320 kbps.

Nope, have a look at videohelp.com/dvdplayers/

all three of these are used by audio professionals, post production studios…that sort of thing. they will all do the job.

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/soundforgefamily.asp
http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html

and don’t forget…

industry standard audio plugins for your audio editor. check out the mastering bundles

cheers!
byte.0101

Sorry for sounding lame, but why would you want more than 320kbps? I dont think that there is a human being that can actually hear a difference in quality over 256kbps, and most of us cant hear it over 192kbps. why bother? it will just make your file bigger.

Wrong! It’s was made for a reason guys… under the right circumstances there can be an audible difference (subtle) but yes.

also you are Right! for the “rest of us” meaning everyone who doesn’t have a
a high end audio interface and “studio monitor” or “audiophile” qaulity speakers you [U]won’t hear [/U] a difference. :disagree:

do a test yourself on your system once you get some software.
pick some tunes you listen too often and rip at different bit rates… see what you hear.

ALSO… some general tips to follow when when doing critical listening tests.

1.Choose something “dynamic” = low levels and high levels in the recording…not BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM that’s for testing bass :smiley:

2.listen to different styles of music.

3.pick something with “transients” = the initial attack of an instrument… guitar when it’s first hit with the pick, cymbal when first hit with the stick, …that’s the idea.

1. focus in a particular element of the tune when you A/B

2. get some sleep …ohh that’s for me.

Use “Easy CD-DA Extractor” it’s EXCELLENT…I reckon you’ll not need anything over 192Kbit/s but if you need it then use 320Kbit/s @ 44Khz

In my mind > 320Kbps would = VBR w/ max set to 320Kbps and I mainly use EAC, but since many rippers/encoders use the opensource lame encoder, pretty much any of the ones listed above should work ok.

Probably won’t be any better than 320Kbps CBR, but should be nearly as good with a much smaller file size. Sort of the have your cake and eat it to theory. Beyond that you would have to go with something less standard, FLAC, OGG etc…

On topic:
It’s possible, but not smart to encode MP3 higher than 320kbps. I’ll try to explain why in as few words as possible.

>320kbps MP3 doesn’t comply with MP3 standards. That means that there are a lot of programs and media players that won’t be able to open or play the MP3’s. So, knowing that, why not just use a different format altogether?

It’s also a waste. 320kbps delivers very good quality, so if you have a problem with 320kbps MP3 then you’re probably doing something wrong.

acruxksa:
Technically speaking, 320kbps CBR gives better quality than VBR because VBR chooses frame-by-frame a bitrate anywhere between 32 and 320, but CBR nails the bitrate at 320 throughout. So >320kbps would be even better. But then you have to take into consideration what I talk about earlier in this post. :slight_smile:

I’m having great luck with winLAME. I’m encoding at 320kbps and converting from ape. files (lossless) to mp3’s. It’ll do it! :bigsmile:

Try this one!

http://www.dvd-ipod.biz/Audio_tools/xilisoft_audio_converter.html