Audio Driver causing laptop to freeze

My laptop quite frequently freezes during watching videos or listening to music, it most often occurs whilst watching 720p or 1080p videos on Youtube. After trying to narrow it down, I succeeded. I disabled the audio driver and was able to stream HD videos continuously for hours without any freezes, which is extremely rare if even possible.

Is there any way to resolve this?

system:

bump.

Try downloading one of the YouTube videos . I think you can leave the audio driver disabled for this & the downloaded file will still have audio.
I recommend YouTubeDownloaderHD for this but if you have another software that does this try it.
I don’t know if your WMP plays .flv or .mp4 natively . Mine will play either & HD 720p or 1080p will probably be .mp4 .
You may have another media player so if WMP fails try it.
If it plays OK with the audio then it shouldn’t be the audio driver .
If it does it probably is the audio driver.
so try that next & we will go from there.
Of course you will need to enable the Audio driver for playing the downloaded file.

[QUOTE=cholla;2657646]Try downloading one of the YouTube videos . I think you can leave the audio driver disabled for this & the downloaded file will still have audio.
I recommend YouTubeDownloaderHD for this but if you have another software that does this try it.
I don’t know if your WMP plays .flv or .mp4 natively . Mine will play either & HD 720p or 1080p will probably be .mp4 .
You may have another media player so if WMP fails try it.
If it plays OK with the audio then it shouldn’t be the audio driver .
If it does it probably is the audio driver.
so try that next & we will go from there.
Of course you will need to enable the Audio driver for playing the downloaded file.[/QUOTE]

already tried that, had no luck

Does that mean you had the freezes when playing a file that was in your computer ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2657651]Does that mean you had the freezes when playing a file that was in your computer ?[/QUOTE]

yup, still froze

Do you have VLC player ?
It will sometimes play what WMP doesn’t.
If it causes freezes then I guess as you already suspect your audio driver is corrupt.
On lower quality videos are you having any problems?

[QUOTE=cholla;2657653]Do you have VLC player ?
It will sometimes play what WMP doesn’t.
If it causes freezes then I guess as you already suspect your audio driver is corrupt.
On lower quality videos are you having any problems?[/QUOTE]

yep, low quality videos freeze on VLC player too

What about just an audio file ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2657656]What about just an audio file ?[/QUOTE]

yep, I’ve froze whilst playing music before, a lot rarer to occur I must say

Try this :
Download a software FLV Extract . If you don’t have it.
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/FLV-Extract

Just drag & drop a .flv file into the small GUI.
It will Demux & extract the files to the same folder the .flv is in so you might want to do one in it’s own folder.
This way instead of a conversion you will get the .acc audio file from the .flv .
Play the aac file see if this causes a freeze.
If it does this points to a possible codec being the problem.
If you are having problems with freezing at times with any audio file then that would point more to the driver or even the sound card (chip) itself.

tried that and still froze after 20 mins got playing audio, what can I do with the sound card?

I’m not a laptop expert but I’m sure the sound card is a built in chip on the motherboard. So nothing practicle can be done if it is the problem .
I went to the ASUS site & this is the Audio driver .
I would replace the old driver with it.
Go into Device Manager & determine to current driver location .
Copy the driver or drivers from there to there own folder .
That way you have a copy of your current drivers if you need to use them.
Then replace the old drivers with the newly downloaded ones.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K50IJ/#download
You may need to open several folders to make the copies.
On my laptop (A different brand)
Device Manager/ Sound, video and game controllers/Sound card( the ASUS site shows yours’ as: Built-in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex) The name will probably be shorter.
Select Properties/Driver/Driver Details
This should have the audio drivers in a list. that is what you use to make copies of the old drivers.

The download for the new drivers has a Setup.exe & that is probably what you need to use to install the new drivers. There wasn’t a readme file so I can’t say that is correct but it should be.

[QUOTE=cholla;2657694]I’m not a laptop expert but I’m sure the sound card is a built in chip on the motherboard. So nothing practicle can be done if it is the problem .
I went to the ASUS site & this is the Audio driver .
I would replace the old driver with it.
Go into Device Manager & determine to current driver location .
Copy the driver or drivers from there to there own folder .
That way you have a copy of your current drivers if you need to use them.
Then replace the old drivers with the newly downloaded ones.
http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K50IJ/#download
You may need to open several folders to make the copies.
On my laptop (A different brand)
Device Manager/ Sound, video and game controllers/Sound card( the ASUS site shows yours’ as: Built-in Azalia compliant audio chip, with 3D effect & full duplex) The name will probably be shorter.
Select Properties/Driver/Driver Details
This should have the audio drivers in a list. that is what you use to make copies of the old drivers.

The download for the new drivers has a Setup.exe & that is probably what you need to use to install the new drivers. There wasn’t a readme file so I can’t say that is correct but it should be.[/QUOTE]
Thank you so much, going to test it now.

still caused me to freeze :frowning:

That’s close to all I know to try .
In Device Manager did Azalia show as the sound card ?

I had thought of checking the temperature of your laptop but you said when you tried just video it went for several hours without a freeze . So from that it shouldn’t be overheating .

If you want to stress test your laptop just a bit.
Use a software that encodes video like AVStoDVD setup to use HCEnc 2 pass .
Choose a large video file Like an .mpg or the folder from a ripped DVD even if it is encoding back to a DVD . If you watch to temps you should notice an increase from normal probably 15 to 25 degrees higher . If heat is the problem this should cause a freeze.
If heat is the problem that points some to a failing sound card.
That is why it lasts 20 minutes or so . Processing the audio data OK until this creates enough heat.
If that is the case it would mean replacing the motherboard .
I honestly don’t know if there is an external sound card for a laptop.
Maybe someone will post if there is. I may take a look just so I know.

appreciate the help man!

If you do try the stress to heat up your laptop . Once its fairly warm check the audio to see if it will play .

Also what codec packs do you have installed if any ?

not sure what it was, but my laptop eventually messed up and I couldn’t do anything so I backed up hdd and reformatted and it seemed to fix the problem