Audio converter

HI

could anyone suggest a good multiformat audio converter software? (like from mp3 to wav, ogg to mp3, etc…)

thanks

dbPowerAmp is a really good one, at least for me.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Great stuff, lots of codec support, etc. I use it all the time to batch convert.

thanks for your suggestions, but do u have any other choices that I can choose from?

Thanks

I use MediaCoder for all my audio converting needs, which mostly consists of FLAC > MP3, but this totally free app will do pretty much any conversion, including video formats. Just use “Add File” or “Add Dir” to select what you want to transcode, select your output folder in the upper-right, and select the appropriate tab on the lower-right to choose the output format, and tweak the settings. Then hit start, and it’ll be done quite quickly and efficiently.

Supported Formats:

MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC, AAC+, AAC+V2, MusePack, WMA, RealAudio,
FLAC, WavPack, Monkey’s Audio, OptimFrog, AAC Lossless, WMA Lossless, WAV/PCM, H.264, Xvid, DivX, MPEG 1/2/4, H.263, Flash Video, 3ivx*, RealVideo*, Windows Media, AVI, MPEG/VOB, Matroska, MP4, RealMedia*, ASF/WMV, Quicktime*, OGM*, CD*, VCD*, DVD*, CUE Sheet*

• supported as input only

That looks pretty cool - I will check it out also. Thanks.

WTH? Why does that program call up the web browser all the time? I had to click the START button in a web page just to get it to run, and every time I run it, it pops open a browser window and says I need FireFox installed in order to access the settings?

That just seems totally crappy. What’s the deal?

MP3toWavConverter+ but its not a freeware
DBPowerAmp is a freebie and also very highly renowned

I prefer the first and seems faster to me

I would recommend foobar2000. Besides music playback, then it’s also a very nice and advanced solution for transcoding, tagging and just general music management. For me, then the most important feature for this kind of application, is clearly the ability to transfer the tags over from the source to the output files and then the next most important thing, is the ability to use the info stored in the source files ReplayGain tags to scale the output files to e.g. 89dB or whatever wanted, which is something i always do when transcoding my WavPack images with embededd cuesheets into MP3 track files. Alternatively an option is available to automatically ReplayGain analyze and tag the RG info into the source files after the conversion is over. All this and much more does fb2k perfectly :slight_smile:

There are also a bunch of input and output plug-ins for WinAmp that effectively turn it into a transcoder. I find that Total Recorder (not free - $20) has been really useful in transcoding streaming formats.

@ BeardedKirklander

I’ve never had to bother with those settings for what I use it for. Apparently the interface is rendered using HTML with an integrated version of Firefox (which I don’t have) Check out their wikki page here. It’s really a great piece of open-source freeware, according to the techies who have used it and posted on forums I read.

I use dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC) great converter.
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

Excellent value for $14.

I’m really looking forward to Version 12, which will have dual core support.