Audio conversion in AVStoDVD

vbimport

I was converting a blu ray video to dvd-video using AVStoDVD and ran into a new problem. The video converted properly, but the audio was delayed by a full second in comparison to the video stream.

I was going from DTS HD audio and converting to AC3 2 channel sound at 192 kbps. I’ve had trouble before converting from DTS to AC3 using AVStoDVD, but in the past, it has simply failed in the audio conversion. This audio sync problem is new.

I ran it through VideoReDo’s Quick fix tool and it failed to help (first time for that). So I manually adjusted the audio advance in VideoReDo, saved as an mpeg2 file and reauthored. The result is ok, but I’m not too happy about the problems I’ve seen so far in AVStoDVD regarding DTS sources.

Since BD Rebuilder has added conversion to dvd-video as an option I think I’ll try that next. The one time I tried MultiAVCHD for this type of conversion it was an unmitigated disaster, so I’m reluctant to try that again. Anyone else have a tool they prefer for converting BD video to dvd-video?

I may be talking to myself in here, but here goes with the next installment. I tried to make a dvd-video from my Blu ray copy of Winter’s Bone a couple of days ago. After my problems last time, I decided to use BD Rebuilder

I’m still running into audio/video sync problems in the conversion. This movie also uses DTS HD MA audio, and going to AC3 192kbps simply doesn’t work well. Has to be an error in Aften, since both BD Rebuilder and AVStoDVD use it to convert the audio.

The sync was worse this time and VideoRedo can only handle one second of sync error, so I demuxed and fixed the problem in AviDeumx. Had to slow down the audio 1.3 seconds. Output as mpeg2 (no video re-encoding) and reauthored to dvd, so I have a good copy now. Just a lot of fussing to get the sync correct.

Tried the same movie…this time in AVStoDVD and got the same results. Has anyone tried to convert DTS HD MA audio in AVStoDVD using ffmpeg instead of Aften?

As a side note, this movie has a weird opening scene when reencoded to mpeg2. The original shows no problems, but both copies had a very strange effect in the first minute or so, like the scene was shot through wavy glass. As soon as the opening credits ended, the movie snapped into focus and remained so the rest of the way. Very odd.

I haven’t used AVStoDVD in a while, (I just add hard disks) but doesn’t it work by way of an AVISynth script? If so, you can probably just add a line to the script to delay the audio. Or can you maybe add a delay parameter to the command passed to Aften?

Its hard to predict when this will happen, and since the delay hasn’t been constant, movie to movie, it would be difficult to set a value in the script.

You can preview output in AVStoDVD, but if there is a way to listen to the audio in preview, I haven’t found that control.

@ Kerry56 , You"re not talking to yourself . I’m following this thread in case I eventually work with blu ray . I haven’t so far.
I don’t know of a way to get audio in the AVStoDVD preview either.

Hey Kerry56, I only have a couple of things/comments for ya, well maybe three or four…First thing, I have used ffmpeg instead of aften, succesfully when using AVStoDVD conversions, except not for BR…I just finished putting together a DIY sys, am now running Win7 64bit happily, and my wallet is still pissed at me, so I settled for a standard burner/reader for now…IIRC since it’s been a while, I was having too many audio sync issues using AVStoDVD so I finally bit the bullet and purchased ConvertxtoDVD…99.9999% probs solved…Yes I know that you prefer (as do I) AVS with HCenc, but CX2DVD does a decent enough job for my needs these days…
And last but not least, I loved ‘Winters Bone’ good flick!..
Sorry I couldn’t be of more help…But like cholla , I’ll be tagging along…Good luck!.

Yet another installment in this saga. Conversion in ClownBD from DTS HD MA audio to AC3 doesn’t solve the audio sync issues. This last conversion from blu ray to dvd-video only had a minor amount of audio sync loss, so I fixed it in VideoReDo very easily. .350ms off.

Don’t know if ClownBD uses eac3to or Aften for the conversion…didn’t watch carefully enough.

HCenc does a great job with the video…but the free tools just aren’t cutting it with the audio. Not consistently with DTS sources.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2576900]

The sync was worse this time and VideoRedo can only handle one second of sync error, so I demuxed and fixed the problem in AviDeumx. Had to slow down the audio 1.3 seconds. Output as mpeg2 (no video re-encoding) and reauthored to dvd, so I have a good copy now. Just a lot of fussing to get the sync correct.

Has anyone tried to convert DTS HD MA audio in AVStoDVD using ffmpeg instead of Aften?

[/QUOTE]

Have you ever tried using QuEnc for the AC3 Audio encoder?

Mr. C has it (Quenc) as an option in AVStoDVD, but [B]really[/B] doesn’t recommend it for audio conversion. I’ve seen him say as much in discussions over at videohelp.com