Audio cds not reading

Hello!

Whenever I insert my audio cd in my cdrw drive, i cant hear any sounds . but when I put my headphone into drives jack , i can hear it neatly! what is the problem here?:rolleyes:

check if digital playback is enabled…in the OS

You need a cable between your drive and the sound card.
And you have to configure the volume in the sound control to be enough.

You can also play without the cable if you play it in digital mode, but it stresses the drive more, it’s noisier, and you’ll waste the Wave entry in the sound control. This is the same as doing DAE (Digital Audio Extraction).

hey minix ,
is the soundquality the same either way (analog or digital)???

i heard analog stinks…

ur opinion???:confused:

ur the expert:bow:

well, if the drive has a good DAC then the sound should be good in analog mode and you shouldn’t notice any difference.
But, of course, digital mode will play exactly if there are no errors while reading.

Compare and choose. I prefer the silence of analog mode, but you’ll need a cable for this mode.

Originally posted by pankaj_xyz

is the soundquality the same either way (analog or digital)???

i heard analog stinks…

Hello again, pankaj_xyz !

I’m not minix but nevertheless am going to try answering your Qs. :wink:
Well, as far as the sound quality goes, frankly I can’t tell any difference.
The digital one sounds a bit louder to me and that’s it ( and believe me, my ears are very well trained ! :bigsmile: ),
I must stress though that I’m talking about the playback modes in Feurio!

The Feurio! CD-Player knows two different playback modes:

· Analog playback:

The ”normal” playback mode. The data will already be converted to analog signals by the CD-ROM and transfered to the soundcard as analog signals and will then be mixed with the output signal. This requires the audio output of the CD-ROM to be connected to the CD-ROM input of the soundcard.
Advantages:

• Almost no processor or bus load (playback is done by the CD-ROM itself)
  • The headphone output of the CD-ROM can be used.
  • Usually good error correction.
  • The ”normal” playback channel of the soundcard is free for use.

Disadvantages:

• The audio output of the CD-ROM has to be connected to the CD-ROM input of the soundcard - especially if you have external writers or several CD-ROMs/ CD-Writers this is almost impossible to manage
  • No level display possbile.

· Digital playback:

The data are read digitally using the IDE- resp. SCSI-BUS and transfered to the soundcard digitally, too.

Advantages:

• The audio output of the CD-ROM does not has to be connected to the CD-ROM input of the soundcard - therefore playback from external CD-ROMs/ CD-Writers is possible, too.
  • Level display in Feurio! is possible

Disadvantages:

• Causes processor and bus load
  • The headphone output of the CD-ROM can not be used.
  • If the system load is to high drop-outs during playback are possible
  • The ”normal” playback channel of the soundcard is used
  • May not work with all CD-ROMs properly
  • Delayed reaction of the CD-ROM - due to the ”long way” of the data it can take up to several seconds until a operation is executed - especially the first playback start may be delayed quite some time (depends on CD-ROM)

From: Feurio! CD-Writer online help © by Fangmeier Systemprogrammierung

Thank you Boskin for all the information you have given . but the digital playback is blocked out for me ( i use WIN98SE ) , so why is it so? I must try one day to connect the cable , but it is not so important work .