Audio CDs but not data CDs unrecognized by computer

[SIZE=2]Here is the problem my desktop has with audio CDs and blank CD-R/RWs. The computer is running Ubuntu Linux 9.04 (Jaunty) with the GNOME desktop. When an audio CD (commercial or burned by others or myself) is inserted into the CD-ROM drive, no icon appears on the desktop - as it should and does in my laptop running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy). Not surprisingly, programs that can play, rip, or burn CDs don’t recognize that a disc has been inserted. However, some audio programs, notably Grip and K3b have sometimes (in my few tries) listed the CD’s tracks, but without listing their information - only 'Track 01, Track 02, etc. are listed. When this occurs, the program will successfully rip a track or tracks. When the insertion of an audio disc is unrecognized, pressing the eject button on the drive does not usually eject the disc. Then, I must do so by pressing a paper clip into the emergency eject hole.

The insertion of a blank CD-R/RW of various makes gives no screen icon, and burning is impossible.

Data CDs and ISO image CDs work perfectly. With insertion of a data CD, an icon appears along with a dialog listing the contents of the CD.

I think that when I had my prior Ubuntu version - 6.04 - audio CDs worked well.

The label on my CD-ROM drive gives the following information:
Manufactured by BenQ corporation for Philips and BenQ Digital Storage Corporation.
model 1650V. Manufactured August 2005. EOA TANEG.

Here is information from the below command.
haas@desktop:~$ cdrecord -inq dev=cdrom
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive…
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'ATAPI ’
Identification : 'DVD-ROM 16X ’
Revision : ‘TANE’
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-ROM.

Can one tell whether this problem lies in hardware (the CD-ROM drive), software (e.g., the Linux Kernel or files, or in firmware? What might be the best way to begin to solve the problem?

Thanks for any help.
dchaas [/SIZE]

Apparently people are having several problems with Jaunty. The no eject problem is covered in the Ubuntu forums, probably the others as well. There aren’t a lot of Linux users here, I use 8.04 LTS and haven’t experienced these new problems. I would suggest searching the Ubuntu forums for possible solutions.
Not that we don’t welcome you here.:smiley:

Thanks Whappo for your reply. I’ve searched and posted to the Ubuntu forum for this problem, and I’ve also had System 76 work on it. The latter favored a bad CD-ROM drive. Because MyCE has expertize in hardware, I thought I’d see whether it might have some ideas about the problem.
dchaas

[QUOTE=dchaas;2474152]Thanks Whappo for your reply. I’ve searched and posted to the Ubuntu forum for this problem, and I’ve also had System 76 work on it. The latter favored a bad CD-ROM drive. Because MyCE has expertize in hardware, I thought I’d see whether it might have some ideas about the problem.
dchaas[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt that it’s a hardware issue since you don’t have problems with data CD’s. Bits are bits, your CD drive makes no distinction. You can double check by booting something like Puppy linux and testing your audio disks. Since Puppy runs in ram, you can remove the boot CD and use your CD drive normally.

[B]Bits[/B] are bits… Since [I]Puppy[/I] runs in ram you can remove the boot CD and use your CD drive normally.

Maybe try, Kibbles 'n [B]Bits[/B]…:bigsmile:
Sorry Whappo, just couldn’t resist…:cool:

Wappo – Your advice is just the kind I was hoping for. I’ll try Puppy Linux. It’s helpful to know that Puppy runs in RAM. I had thought that all the live Linux distros ran from the CD.
Thanks,
dchaas

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2474313]Maybe try, Kibbles 'n [B]Bits[/B]…:bigsmile:
Sorry Whappo, just couldn’t resist…:cool:[/QUOTE]

Very good. :cool::cool:

Whappo–Your recommendation to try Puppy Linux was on the mark! I downloaded the ISO for version 431 and burned it in my Ubuntu laptop, and now I’m running Puppy in RAM on my desktop. Puppy recognized the insertion of an audio CD and placed its icon on its desktop. Its ripping program(s) work well. So, I had no problem - as you predicted - with my CD-ROM drive. The problem was in the software, somewhere in Ubuntu.
Thanks again,
dchaas