Audio CD recording software advice

vbimport

I normally use a hi-fi CD recorder to make compilations and edits from audio CDs, but the recorder has a fault, and rather than buy another it seems sensible to use my PC to make these CDs. However, I’m unfamiliar with the software required and confused as to why all the CD editing software I’ve downloaded so far all seems to need the CDA files converting to mp3 and then back again. Now I’ve read that mp3’s are ‘lossy’ and not to be considered of a good audio standard- so if I have to convert my CDs to Mp3, edit them and then record them back onto audio CD am I degrading them in the process? All I want to do is make new CDs out of tracks from two or more CDs or in some cases, fade the tracks in or out to remove things like spoken introductions and audience applause from live tracks. Is it possible to edit cda files direct and if so what it the best software to use? (preferably free!) I’ve tried Burrn but it doesn’t allow editing, and Audacity but it needs further software to convert CDs into a format it can work with. And of course I have windows media player but I can’t find a rip function - when I choose copy from CD it just copies them as CDA files so I can’t use them.
Any advice most welcome.:confused:

I like EAC. I don’t use the editor at all so I can’t say if that function will meet your needs. Here’s a link.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/overview/features/features-of-eac/

Not exactly an area I know much about, but you should look at a program called Exact Audio Copy. You can capture in lossless wav format with this program. It has a wav editor included.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Edit: Oops two minutes late.

I would use EAC and rip to wav,then import wav in Audacity to do your editing> save to new wav or mp3…Works great IMO…

Thanks - I’ll have a look at EAC soon. I’ve just performed my first recording using Ashampoo Burning Studio to rip to uncompressed wav, then Audacity to fade one track early, then Burrrn to put the compilation together and burn it. It all went fine, it just seems messy to use three different programs - I feel there ought to be one all encompassing program somewhere…

I’m surprised Ashampoo didn’t suit you needs,since it claims this,
"Many current CD/DVD burning programs are universal “everything including the kitchen sink” applications that are overloaded with countless confusing functions. Ashampoo Burning Studio 5 makes life easier by concentrating on what you really want to do!

FWIW, EAC or CDex> to wav>Audacity> Burrrn or choice of burning app…:wink:
messy? not AFAIK…spending $ for an app that fails to work as it claims,now that’s “messy”, IMO…
To each their own!..
P.S. when you find the [I]perfect[/I] all-In-One solution,please let us know…Good luck!

Hi,quote=alanterrill;2158300However, I’m unfamiliar with the software required and confused as to why all the CD editing software I’ve downloaded so far all seems to need the CDA files converting to mp3 and then back again. Now I’ve read that mp3’s are ‘lossy’[/quote]Indeed. mp3 is good to feed portable music players or mp3 collection discs with 10 hrs of music for the car stereo (if that supports mp3)

and not to be considered of a good audio standard- so if I have to convert my CDs to Mp3, edit them and then record them back onto audio CD am I degrading them in the process?
Yes. Just rip to uncompressed .wav and then edit them as you like. If the result shall be an audio CD, then just ignore that mp3 exists.

Is it possible to edit cda files direct
.cda is a workaround of most file managers to display the contents of an audio CD (these don’t have a file system at all). So you need to transfer them as uncompressed audio (.wav) onto your harddisc and edit the .wav files according to your needs.

Michael

Thanks Michael, that’s helpful.

Cheers,

Alan

I haven’t explored all of Ashampoo yet as I only loaded it yesterday, but it didn’t appear to have any editing facilities in it. But don’t worry -I didn’t pay for it - a full working version of the 2009 version came on the cover disc with Decembers PCPro magazine.

Alan

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2158362]I’m surprised Ashampoo didn’t suit you needs,since it claims this,
"Many current CD/DVD burning programs are universal “everything including the kitchen sink” applications that are overloaded with countless confusing functions. Ashampoo Burning Studio 5 makes life easier by concentrating on what you really want to do!

FWIW, EAC or CDex> to wav>Audacity> Burrrn or choice of burning app…:wink:
messy? not AFAIK…spending $ for an app that fails to work as it claims,now that’s “messy”, IMO…
To each their own!..
P.S. when you find the [I]perfect[/I] all-In-One solution,please let us know…Good luck![/QUOTE]

@ OP, I wasn’t worried, I just gave MHO, remember my other comment,
" To each their own"…:wink:

Having explored Ashampoo a bit more, it’s a pretty good program -it will enable you to rip audio files, make a new compilation and then burn a new CD. Then it will enable you to make a CD cover. So you might think you don’t need Burrn… However, the curious thing is that even if you enter a title for the new compilation and give each track a title, those titles don’t appear to be saved to the CD with Ashampoo. Because when you’ve burnt your CD and then go to the labelling part, then click on’ retrieve titles from CD’ it finds the tracks and gives you a listing of the correct number of tracks with their correct timings, but all the titles are blank! If however, you burn your CD with Burrn, then Ashampoo can then retrieve all those titles for the label.
As Ashampoo has not got track editing facilities, my course of action is:

Rip tracks to a folder on your drive with Ashampoo
Edit tracks (if needed) with Audacity
Assemble and burn CD with Burrn
Make a CD insert with Ashampoo.

All the above are free downloads.