Audio CD/CD-R reader and writer.. what has the best quality?

vbimport

Hi guys, ive been reading your forums all day and cant seem to make up my mind.

I am looking for a cd burner and reader for audio recording and playback. In my reading it seems that the best would be the Plextor Premium but they no longer make this burner and i would rather go with a more current player, just for the reliability.

I noticed that if i go with a more current burner it will most probably be some sort of combo drive with a dvd burner. This doesnt worry me im just looking for a quality cdr burner, not worried about speed either.

How does the Plextor Premium compare with newer combo drive’s cd reading and burning capabilities? Would it be worth going with the older drive and risking reliability for the quality gains?

Also it will need to be external but if its an internal one ill just get a case for it. The case i was looking at was the Shuttle PE20.

Anyway guys, awesome forum you have going here! So much good info!

Cheers
Rich

I’m curious myself what is currently the recommended CD or DVD drive for CD-audio ripping (not so concerned about burning).

Nobody got an answer to this one?

We currently ship our systems with Plextor Premium 2 drives if they are going to be used for Audio Mastering. We’ll need a replacement in the near future since they’re going out of manufacture.

Does nobody know of a good drive that can do MMC RAW writing mode, suitable for Audio CD Mastering.

It’s possible there will never be a true CD-Drive replacement for the Plextor Premium or Plextor Premium 2 from a standard retail perspective.

I researched and discovered that most of the current Lite-On DVD-Burner drives are good audio rippers. They can be slow but can have the least amount of errors and they support lead-in and lead-out overreading.

Currently the Plextor Premium II should be still available in online shops or maybe stores. A few members of this forum got Premium II drives made in 2008. This drives were made in Japan.

I hav both drives the good old Premium and the Premium II too. I’d prefer the Premium II. IMO the burning results are a little bit better than the results of the Premium.

But both drives are really great CD burners. Maybe you can get a used Premium @ ebay?

[QUOTE=Rich508;2100227]
I am looking for a cd burner and reader for audio recording and playback. In my reading it seems that the best would be the Plextor Premium but they no longer make this burner and i would rather go with a more current player, just for the reliability.
[/QUOTE]

Just to echo what TM has said - the Plextor Premium 2 is still a current model and appears to now be made in Plextor’s own Japanese factory. They’re freely available for immediate delivery from at least 2 suppliers in the UK and there are a few other suppliers in other European countries mentioned on Plextor’s European website.

US availability seems more limited - for some reason Plextor US seem reluctant to import these drives but maybe if enough people show interest they might reconsider their decision.

Cheers

James.