Audio CD Burn Quality

Some readers may remember my posts a few weeks back regarding the quality of audio CDs and some problems I had. I have now conducted my own investigation and come to the following conclusions:

Average C1 errors measured with KProbe on a Lite-On DVD burner over a 3-minute period towards the end of an audio CD (where errors are generally highest) appears to be a good objective test of audio CD burn quality. Average C1 should be much less than about 60 for noise to be inaudible on my standalone player using CMC Magnetics media. (Other players and CD brands may or may not have a different threshold.) Average C1 is typically less than about 1 for a Pioneer DVR-110D burner, and less than about 5 for a Lite-On SHW-1835S.

The Pioneer DVR-110D does not work well on the ITE133 card (secondary port only tested), but the Lite-On SHW-1835S does works well, whether connected to the ITE card or the motherboard, although not quite as well as the 110D connected to the motherboard.

While there seems to be some variability with burn speed, the results don’t support the general view that “slower is better”. The optimum speed is probably a function of CD manufacturer and burner, but does not seem to give results much better than other speeds.

If anyone wants further details you can either ask them here or I can email you my 4-page Word document on the gory details of my hardware problems and testing methodology. (And how many CDs I sacrificed in the name of science) :frowning:

These controllers were not made for the usage with dvd burners and other optical drives. Also the used IDE cable and its quality is important here.

The controller was designed with high speed RAID in mind, and I am using the proper high speed IDE cable with the burners. Are you able to expand further or point me in the right direction on why the controller may not be suitable with optical drives?

Is an RAID BIOS or normal BIOS flashed onto the controller?

I think I might be telling lies; its a while since I set this thing up. I thought it could serve as either an ordinary IDE or as a RAID controller, but on more careful reading of the slim manual, it seems that it refers to two (presumably related) cards. The box says that I have an Ultra ATA 133 PCI IDE controller card, and on boot up, the BIOS says it is made by ITE and reports the devices connected to it.

The manual says, “This card provides two IDE connectors that support Ultra ATA/133 protocols and each IDE connector can support a master/slave combination of any devices, including Ultra ATA/133, Ultra ATA/100, Ultra ATA/66, Ultra ATA/33, EIDE/Fast ATA-2, IDE and ATAPI standards.” (This description apparently applies to both cards.)

I have revised my criteria for judging what is a good audio CD burn to also include maximum C1 errors. This is more convenient to measure than average C1 errors during the worst 3-minute period. The first paragraph of my conclusions in my original post should now read:

The number of C1 errors measured with KProbe on a Lite-On DVD burner appears to be a good objective test of audio CD burn quality. Maximum C1 should be less than about 100, or average C1 measured during the worst 3 minute period should be less than about 60, for noise to be inaudible on my standalone player using CMC Magnetics media. (Other players and CD brands may or may not have different thresholds.) Maximum C1 is typically about 6 and worst 3-minute average C1 is typically about 0.5 for a Pioneer DVR-110D burner, or about 12 and 2 respectively for a Lite-On SHW-1835S.