Audio CD bug in AnyDVD

vbimport

#1

I have found a bug in AnyDVD. When set to “remove digital protection on audio cd’s” it messes up my Plextor PX W5224A drive. When reading a cd with “Remove” on, the drive reports “Found & removed additional sesssion(s) from Audio CD!.” The disc has only one session. When trying to read the disc it shows extra tracks (a track 00 and a track 70) and Windows media player won’t play the disc. Media Player reports an error saying " it does not recognize the file type".
This is not a big problem as when I turn off the “Remove protection for audio cd’s” everything works normal again. I thought my drive was going bad. I messed with it for several hours trying different discs and programs until I discovered what the problem was. I was using version 5.9.5.6 so I installed 5.9.5.7 to see if it did the same and it does. Older versions didn’t do this. I think it started when the “remove digital audio protection from audio cd’s” was improved, a couple versions back.
Just thought I would let people know in case other drives are affected this way.
A BIG THANKS to the AnyDVD crew for all the hard work they put in to their fine product. :bow:


#2

This is bad. It looks like the implementation of the “Read full TOC” command is broken in this drive. Unfortunately we don’t have this drive here fore testing, so we could look for a workaround. Is this a drive made by BenQ? Do you have a different drive to check, if it is some interfering software causing this problem? Does CloneCD identify the AudioCD correctly?


#3

It is a Plextor CDRW drive.
I have an AOpen DVD drive that works just fine as it should when I read a cd with the Remove digital protection on.
The only software that would read correctly when the “remove” was active on the Plextor drive was CDrwin. It reported the correct number and size of tracks.
Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, AudioGrabber and Clone Cd reported wrongly.

This is what CloneCD said about the same 16 track disc, 1st with "remove’ in AnyDVD turned off and then on…

Info on inserted Disc:
Number of sessions: 1
CD contains CD-Text: No
Size used on Disc: 526907 kBytes
Sectors: 229402
Time: 50:58:52 (Min:Sec:Fra)

Info on Session 1:
Size used in Session: 526907 kBytes
Number of Tracks: 16
Track 1: Audio, Size: 29296 kBytes
Track 2: Audio, Size: 28067 kBytes
Track 3: Audio, Size: 32673 kBytes
Track 4: Audio, Size: 32666 kBytes
Track 5: Audio, Size: 29422 kBytes
Track 6: Audio, Size: 22412 kBytes
Track 7: Audio, Size: 37485 kBytes
Track 8: Audio, Size: 27838 kBytes
Track 9: Audio, Size: 27785 kBytes
Track 10: Audio, Size: 29733 kBytes
Track 11: Audio, Size: 37824 kBytes
Track 12: Audio, Size: 37937 kBytes
Track 13: Audio, Size: 31106 kBytes
Track 14: Audio, Size: 43904 kBytes
Track 15: Audio, Size: 49957 kBytes
Track 16: Audio, Size: 28795 kBytes

Info on inserted Disc:
Number of sessions: 1
CD contains CD-Text: No
Size used on Disc: 837054 kBytes
Sectors: 364432
Time: 80:59:07 (Min:Sec:Fra)

Info on Session 1:
Size used in Session: 837054 kBytes
Number of Tracks: 22
Track 1: Audio, Size: 34464 kBytes
Track 2: Audio, Size: 26000 kBytes
Track 3: Audio, Size: 33775 kBytes
Track 4: Audio, Size: 95674 kBytes
Track 5: Audio, Size: 28361 kBytes
Track 6: Audio, Size: 23460 kBytes
Track 7: Audio, Size: 97502 kBytes
Track 8: Audio, Size: 25729 kBytes
Track 9: Audio, Size: 31947 kBytes
Track 16: Audio, Size: 28658 kBytes
Track 17: Audio, Size: 97828 kBytes
Track 18: Audio, Size: 35787 kBytes
Track 19: Audio, Size: 31175 kBytes
Track 20: Audio, Size: 107973 kBytes
Track 21: Audio, Size: 48923 kBytes
Track 22: Audio, Size: 89791 kBytes
Track 170: Audio, Size: 4294130242 kBytes

I probably shouldn’t have said it was a bug in AnyDVD, it may be caused by something else, but I can have AnyDVD running… I just can’t have the “remove digital audio protection” running when using this drive to read cd’s. Like I said it’s not a real problem just thought someone else might have the problem sometime.

Thanks for the concern James.


#4

Thanks for the very useful information. It is a problem with AnyDVD, it should always behave correctly with default settings. The problem will be fixed with the next update.


#5

Damn, you guys are fast. 5.9.5.8 Fixes this problem, at least for the Plextor PX W5224A I’m using. Good work as always from the “James gang”. :wink: :clap: :bow:


#6

Thank you, I am glad that it works for you.