Audio card problem =(

Hello ,

I’ve formatted my computer and every thing is okay … except the sound card …
I have the CD , and I put it but there was a message said that there is no sound card on my computer !!

I’ve checked it out with is site : http://www.d-a-l.com/hardware-scan.php

and here is the result

OS Information:
PropertyValue
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional|C:\WINDOWS|\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
Service Pack 2.0
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

Processor:
PropertyValue
Current Clock Speed 366
Description x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8
Manufacturer GenuineIntel
Name Intel® Pentium® M processor 1.73GHz

Memory (RAM):
PropertyValue
Bank Label Bank 0
Capacity 268435456

Bank Label Bank 1
Capacity 268435456

Total Memory Deteced in Hardware: ~512 MB
Memory Reported to Operating System: 510MB

Disk Drives:
PropertyValue
Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model FUJITSU MHT2060AT
Media Type Fixed hard disk media
Size 60011642880 (~56 GB)
Number of Partitions 2

Installed Printers:
PropertyValue

Motherboard:
PropertyValue
Manufacturer LG Electronics
Model
Name Base Board
Part Number
Product HUNTER
Serial Number Not Applicable
Version Not Applicable

BIOS:
PropertyValue
Manufacturer Phoenix Technologies LTD
Name Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
Release Date 20050427000000.000000+000
Version PTLTD - 6040000

Monitor:
PropertyValue
Description Default Monitor
Name Default Monitor
Screen Height 768
Screen Width 1024

Keyboard:
PropertyValue
Description Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Pointing Device:
PropertyValue
Manufacturer (Standard system devices)
Name USB Human Interface Device

Manufacturer Synaptics
Name Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Sound Card:
PropertyValue

Video Card:
PropertyValue
Adapter Compatibility ATI Technologies Inc.
Adapter RAM 67108864
Description ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
Installed Display Drivers ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version 6.14.10.6497
Driver Date 12/7/2004 1:06:42 PM
Video Mode Description 1024 x 768 x 4294967296 colors

DirectX Installation:
PropertyValue
Version 6.03.01.0148

Modem:
PropertyValue

Network Adapters:
PropertyValue
Description WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface
Description Packet Scheduler Miniport
Description SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
Description Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Description Marvell Yukon 88E8036 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller - Packet Scheduler Miniport

External Ports:
PropertyValue

Expansion Slots:
PropertyValue

as you can see … the result said that there is no such card !!

and that what I get

help me please =(

That yellow question/exclamation mark in front of “PCI Device” in Device Manager probably points to your sound card. Go to Properties and Update the driver for this device with the CD in the drive. Also check the your computer mfr. website for updated drivers.

I did that but the wizard could not find any

what do you mean by

Also check the your computer mfr.

It looks like you have a laptop there. Go to the manufacturer’s website and download the drivers you need.

Yes it is a laptop … and I have the CD …
that is what I get when I try to install the driver

Right-click on “PCI Device”, select “Uninstall” and reboot. Upon restart, you can try to install the driver again.

Also check the BIOS for any settings related to the audio device. Maybe it’s disabled there? (the PCI Device shown could also be a modem, for example?)

What’s the make and model no. of your laptop?

I did the first one

Right-click on “PCI Device”, select “Uninstall” and reboot. Upon restart, you can try to install the driver again.

It searched the internet + CD ,but found nothing …

how can I do this …

Also check the BIOS for any settings related to the audio device. Maybe it’s disabled there?
??

My laptop is LG model no, : LS55

Is that the original CD for the laptop you have? It looks like the wrong driver. According to LG’s website there’s a CMedia sound chip on LS45/LS55 Series notebooks. Try downloading that driver package (I checked on http://us.lgservice.com).

Check the manual regarding the BIOS. If you look at the boot screen, it will often indicate which key to press to access the BIOS (often it’s “Delete” or “Esc” or “F1” etc.).

Thank you so much Cressida for replying me … =)

Yes , this is the original CD …

I’ll check the BIOS now …

I’ve checked the BIOS ,but I did not find ( sound , Audio ) or something like that !
under which tab should it be ?

It’s plain that you’re no novice and your problems have been more than adequately addressed here. Whenever I’m racking my brains on occasions such as this I return to basics. These are the things that even experts overlook. Does your card require software to be run as a whole to install the device as opposed to selecting the drivers manually or via the op sys wizard. Do you reboot even if not asked after installation ? Have you installed the main board chipset driver[s] ? Sometimes the order in which you install the drivers makes a difference. Have you left peripherals plugged in whilst re formatting? e.g usb or firewire devices. Have you simply re-run the operating system disc over the top of your inatalled op sys or have you in fact actually re formatted. Have you run fdisk [or its equivelant for xp in order to completely ditch the contents of your hard drive ? Look in safe mode at the device manager and see that there’s no spurious drivers installed. These manufacture’s all things to everyone discs can break your heart !..Just thinking out loud, really. Good luck. regards P.S

It seems that I did most of these things =( …

the ADSL was pluged on when I did the format !

the hardware installation comes with a software on the CD with some order … the C Media is the secound and when the error message appeares so I skiped it and installed the next and so on , Finally I left with the CMedia =(

what shall I do now ?

Note : I did not installed the OS comes with the laptop ,I put another one …
does it make a differance ?

Hi,

Every BIOS is different, so I can’t tell what exactly to look for. Suggest you do a “Load Setup Defaults” and save (F10), as I can’t imagine any laptop that would switch off sound in the BIOS by default.

Have you downloaded the correct sound driver for your notebook from lgservice.com and tried with that? The file to get is called “SoundLSx5.zip” (as far as I can tell from the info provided).

I don’t think installing another version of XP would matter, but strange things happen sometimes. If none of the above helps, you’ll probably have to start from scratch and do another format & install anyway. I’d take the battery out and leave the machine unplugged for a while, before doing that.

did you format before you installed the OS? your first post says that you formatted. installing an OS OVER another OS can cause conflicts sometimes.

you said you got an error when installing the Cmedia soundcard stuff from the CD. what does that error say?

did you download the soundcard drivers from the LG website and try to install that?

I’ve had a look at cmedia’s site and downloaded a driver package. At first glance it looks to me that you have to run a set up to install their cards as opposed to driver-only installation. If I’m right you’ll get the whole thing if you explore your installation cd, then run setup. Just an idea, but I’ve come across this quite a few times, now. keep plugging. regards P.S

Every BIOS is different, so I can’t tell what exactly to look for. Suggest you do a “Load Setup Defaults” and save (F10), as I can’t imagine any laptop that would switch off sound in the BIOS by default.

I’ll do this step now …

Have you downloaded the correct sound driver for your notebook from lgservice.com and tried with that? The file to get is called “SoundLSx5.zip” (as far as I can tell from the info provided).

Yes I did … but the same message appeares

did you format before you installed the OS? your first post says that you formatted. installing an OS OVER another OS can cause conflicts sometimes.

Yes …

you said you got an error when installing the Cmedia soundcard stuff from the CD. what does that error say?

did you download the soundcard drivers from the LG website and try to install that?

Yes … and they are the same as the one on the CD

I’ve had a look at cmedia’s site and downloaded a driver package. At first glance it looks to me that you have to run a set up to install their cards as opposed to driver-only installation. If I’m right you’ll get the whole thing if you explore your installation cd, then run setup. Just an idea, but I’ve come across this quite a few times

I tried that ,but it does not work … the same thing is alwayes happened =(

You can still try a manual driver installation (supapete hinted at already) by right-clicking on “PCI Device” in Device Manager and selecting “Update driver”, then pointing XP to the CMedia/Driver/CMHDA.INF file in the driver package (select “Have Disk” and browse to this file).

If that doesn’t work, I think I’m out of new idea’s. Install the original XP from the recovery CD then…

The specified location does not contain information about your hardware …

that was what I got =(

thank you so much Cressida for your help … (F)

There’s something very basic wrong here. Have you removed the battery (and power cable) yet? Then press the Start button a couple times and leave it for at least an hour to drain all capacitors, before inserting the battery again. Kinda like a simple system reset. Hopefully the sound chip isn’t broken.

Sorry, I tried my best from a distance. Hope you’ll get it running still. :slight_smile: