Audio Book disc

Hey Everybody, I have a audio book disc I bought that is 1.3 gigs in size. I would like to back up that copy CD or DVD. Because of the size my guess is it would have to go on DVD but I would like to listen to it in the car. It is mp3. Will my car CD player play a DVD? Or can I shrink it to put it on a disc? Stuck.:confused::frowning:

Your car player will almost certainly [B]not [/B]play dvds. DVDs use a different frequency laser than those used for cds.

And audio books don’t lend themselves to compression that can be readily played back. You can compress into something like a rar file, but that gets you nowhere for playing back on a cd player. You can also re-record the whole thing at a lower bitrate and possibly get a smaller output size, but 1.3gb to 700mb? I don’t think so.

What you could do is chop the original in two and put it on two cds. This assumes your car player can handle mp3 [B]data[/B] files. MP3 files do not equal CD audio.

Or if your player can accept usb flash drives, put the entire thing on one of them.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2536797]Your car player will almost certainly [B]not [/B]play dvds. DVDs use a different frequency laser than those used for cds.

Or if your player can accept usb flash drives, put the entire thing on one of them.[/QUOTE]

“almost certainly [B]not [/B]” is a bit strong in phrasing…

[I]Aftermarket[/I] car stereos that will play DVD data discs loaded
with mp3’s (or even actual DVD video discs) are actually quite common these days.

AD

Well, if the original poster wants to provide a make and model number it will be easy to tell. But the [B]vast majority[/B] of cd players produced over the last 20 yrs for use in cars do not play dvds.

No factory head unit I’ve ever heard of does, but many aftermarket head units do.

DVD-R discs loaded with MP3’s in a car stereo can be rather nice…

Most [I]factory[/I] head units have problems with CD-R’s, and I’ve yet to cross paths with a factory head unit that deals reliably with CD-RW let alone any kind of DVD disc…

AD