Audio and Video production at a standstill

vbimport

I see that the forum has changed quite a bit since I last ventured here. Damn, it’s probably been some time now. I’ve been real lucky in the past and have always found someone more educated than myself willing to lend a hand on some of these basic-but-befuddling computer issues. I’m hoping that there’s someone here now who can come up with a quick solution to the current quandary. I’d appreciate some quality feedback here. So, thanks in advance.

I’ll make the ‘symptoms’ list as short as possible. My last ’Burn’ operation was an audio CD…BUT, I had run out of blanks and asked a neighbor for a couple to tide me over…He gave me two, but I didn’t recognize what they really were until both discs were already burned…The blanks he gave me were ‘RWs’ rewritables…I have never used them before and this was the first time that my Toshiba Satellite’s burner, a Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-850S ATA, welcomed the little buggers into their loading bay…

I remembered hearing that RWs need to go through an additional ‘finalizing’ procedure at the end of the burn, compared to the regular routine taken by the CD-Rs…I didn’t notice anything different in the operation while burning the two discs, and only recognized them to be RWs afterwards, so I don’t know if both discs actually completed their full ‘finalizing’ routine. I only recognized them as RWs when I went to play the discs in my car’s CD player and they were read as ‘error’.

So, then, about a week later, I went to go and burn a DIVX disc. I used the DIVX player (v.6.7) to burn a list of 6 videos…I always run the same exact operation with pretty much the same amount of mbs in the burn list…But, EVERY time that I run this operation I get the same result…The player gets started and goes to the ‘Initializing’ stage, stays there for a while, but then I get a window that says, “You have successfully written __ of __ files to disc.”…The kicker is that nothing has been written to disc…There’s nothing written to the disc at all…The player has skipped the entire ‘burn’ operation and has gone straight to the window which only should come up at the end of the operation…The same exact thing happens every single time.

I thought that maybe this was a problem contained only to the DIVX player, but then I went to burn an audio CD a couple days back…Each time that I go and try to burn a music CD in ‘iTunes’ (7.6.1.9), I get an error message…I hit the ‘burn’ button and I see the ‘initializing’ stage of the operation, but before any info can be burned to disc, a window comes up that says, “The attempt to burn a disc has failed. An unknown error has occurred (4280) or (4450)…

Can someone please give me feedback on what might be happening here? What might it be that effects both programs? I’ve never had trouble burning anything in the past. Is there any tinkering that can be done with configurations or any software fixes that can be recommended? Is it possible that someone hit my system with something that is preventing audio and video burning?

Until someone else comes in with a more specific suggestion, try running the Microsoft Fix It tool: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

See if this helps. If not, let us know.

Microsoft Fix It tool, huh? Is this like a general systems diagnostic tool? Should I go for that first?

Just click on the link I gave you and hit the Run Now button there. See if it finds any problems with the system. It should fix any issues it finds.

It may not cure your specific problems, but it is the first thing I would try.

[QUOTE=GreenTNHoney;2519846]Microsoft Fix It tool, huh? Is this like a general systems diagnostic tool?[/QUOTE] No, there are different “Fix It” tools for different problems. In other words, one “Fix It” tool is specific to one problem.

Oh, I see now…Pre-tty sneaky. One for every occasion. I’m installing one of the troubleshooting services at present…One for each specific problem, I see - “Your CD or DVD drive cannot read or write media.”…They got one for [I]everything[/I]?

Detect problems and let me select the fixes to apply?

Oh, snap…I don’t think I wanted that…I wanted them to pick the right choice for me…I don’t want options…Too many options, that’s what’s killed America.

Thanks for the idea, Kerry56, but that did not work…It loaded whatever it needed to load, then searched for a solution for the problem, told me to try and burn a disc, and then came up with the same result as detailed above in the initial post.

Then, another window asks me if the problem has been resolved, with room for an additonal comment. I wrote:

NO, the iTunes software goes immediately to ‘Canceling disc burn’ after it reaches the ‘Initializing’ stage…Ths problem is still unresolved.

NEXT SUGGESTION?

[QUOTE=GreenTNHoney;2519937]Thanks for the idea, Kerry56, but that did not work…It loaded whatever it needed to load, then searched for a solution for the problem, told me to try and burn a disc, and then came up with the same result as detailed above in the initial post.

Then, another window asks me if the problem has been resolved, with room for an additonal comment. I wrote:

NO, the iTunes software goes immediately to ‘Canceling disc burn’ after it reaches the ‘Initializing’ stage…Ths problem is still unresolved.

NEXT SUGGESTION?[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I over looked it but what is your operating system and are you able to burn with ImgBurn ? also have you tried using a external burner to see if the issue is with the burner itself and/or other related items…

also have you checked for root kits and/or other known software that prevents the copying of music and/or videos ?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2519958]Sorry if I over looked it but what is your operating system and are you able to burn with ImgBurn ? also have you tried using a external burner to see if the issue is with the burner itself and/or other related items…

also have you checked for root kits and/or other known software that prevents the copying of music and/or videos ?[/QUOTE]

I definitely need some suggestions here, so PLEASE, anyone and everyone fee free to give me some feedback on this issue.

A brief synopsis of my problem is that my DVD writer - either a hardware or software issue - has gone whacky…I never had any problem burning anything in the past, but now I can’t get either DIVX player or iTunes to burn anything…The operation gets as far as the ‘initializing’ stage and then both programs just fold up shop and hand me back a blank disc…Please read initial post for details.

StormJumper, NO, I haven’t tried an ImgBurn operation yet since this thing happened…I’ll do one now just for the F of it…If I can’t even get [I]that[/I] program to burn, WHAT could we safely ASSUME?

PLEASE, one and all, jump in and offer yer two cents…I want to get this back up and rollin’ soon.

I didn’t go with an ImgBurn ‘trial’ because, now that I check, I literally don’t have enough room on my HD to upload a file to send to ImgBurn…But, I guess it would be safe to assume that since neither DIVX or iTunes are burning discs, that ImgBurn wouldn’t deliver anything either.

Can someone PLEASE do me a solid here and take a minute out to give me a little feedback on this issue…Is there any configuration tweaking that I could do, on either the programs themselves, or maybe something under Control Panel? Something that might fell into the wrong position? What could I check?

I forgot to add that I have the VISTA system, and I’m using older versions of both DIVX and iTunes for personal preference reasons.

First thing…make some room on the hard drive. Insufficient room can cause problems. Delete some stuff, or transfer to flash drives, or hook up and transfer via ethernet to another computer…store it online, I don’t care…give yourself some headroom for working on the computer.

Once that is done, try again. You can also try ImgBurn because it will give a specific error message if there is a virus or rootkit interfering with the burn. The error shows up as: [I]Maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded[/I]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2520140]First thing…make some room on the hard drive. Insufficient room can cause problems. Delete some stuff, or transfer to flash drives, or hook up and transfer via ethernet to another computer…store it online, I don’t care…give yourself some headroom for working on the computer.

Once that is done, try again. You can also try ImgBurn because it will give a specific error message if there is a virus or rootkit interfering with the burn. The error shows up as: [I]Maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded[/I][/QUOTE]

ImgBurn definitely does sound like a plan, friend…And, I guess that I’m forced to move some schtuff around tomorrow in order to make a trial run of it…But, you’re saying that it’ll all be worth it 'cause the feedback the thing’ll give me when the burn fails will be more specific…

Can ya think of anything else though? Some general tweaking which could effect the output of both programs?

I found this article…Take a quick look at it, especially the bottom…This doesn’t pertain to my specific drive (a Matshita), but I’ve already found other folks out there complaining about my specific drive and these burning problems (error 4280 and 4450 in iTunes) …Check this F’er out and see if it stirs up any ideas.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38101?viewlocale=en_US

Maybe the specific error messages that I’m receiving from iTunes contains a clue…Those errors are (4280) and (4450)…There are [I]no[/I] error messages in DIVX when that program chooses to go directly from the intializing stage to an abrupt end to things.

I came up with this for (4280):

This is a known error- some say caused by a certain windows update, otherssay it’s due to sony CDRW drives, whilst others,differ agin and say it’s to do with itunes 7 needing admin rights- various solutions exist including installing the latest itunes. others are more specific.

Someone even addressed (4280) here, at this site:

The person says that it might have something to do with ‘compatibility mode’.

"Right, the big moment where I tell you MY FIX and fingers crossed it works for you. The only thing left I could think of was the fact I was using Windows 7, for me its been fine so far, but hey could it be the compatibility between the OS and Itunes (something that should not be the case considering the wealth of these 2 companies - i know stop laughing).

Anyway here it is, in Windows 7 and Vista there is a compatibility mode, right click on the .exe icon of the program you want to run, in this case the itunes icon on my desktop and select properties > then > compatibility > and then you can select which older OS you want the software to be compatible with, I chose ‘Windows XP (service pack 2)’. Then i ran itunes, it came up with a quick message about this compatibility change and how i should switch it back."

DOES that make any sense to ya’ll? I happen to be running both VISTA and WINDOWS 7…

Actually, I just checked into this for DIVX, and there is no compatibility option for Vista…which means that it’s already A-OK for that system…I dunno…I’m befuddled.

WHAT ABOUT Registry errors and such? Registry Entries which have become tainted?

What’s this?

“I had the same problem. This is what I did and it worked. I went to Control Panel and clicked on itunes. There was an option to “repair” itunes if it wasn’t working right. I clicked that. You have to then reboot when prompted. Wahla… I can burn cd’s again. I am surprised with this, as I couldn’t burn on Window media player either. I’m guessing an upgrade in itunes caused the problem. But going to Control Panel and doing a repair did the job. Hope it fixes your problem.”

I literally don’t have enough room on my HD to upload a file to send to ImgBurn…

If that’s the case burning with anything is likely to fail. You’ve got to have enough room to build the disk image before you can burn it. Preferably defragmented space at that.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2520197]If that’s the case burning with anything is likely to fail. You’ve got to have enough room to build the disk image before you can burn it. Preferably defragmented space at that.[/QUOTE]

Well, I never had a problem burning anything up until this point, and I’ve always worked with a jam-packed HD…And, under those conditions, ImgBurn, iTunes and DIVX were all able to work their individual magic.

Something happened at a single, specific moment in time which is now affecting these programs with ‘burn’ capabilities…Since I myself haven’t [I]changed[/I] anything on my computer, it can only be one of two things…

1. I got hit with something while ‘downloading’, and whatever bug I got has altered my software configurations, made burning impossible because of some incompatibility…2) OR, the other option, that maybe something went defective with the hardware attached to burn operations…

Is that a common occurrence? Do you guys often here about hardware components going bad like that? It’s a 3 ½ yr old computer that has used the burn tray quite a bit…

*** Is there any Diagnostic in existence that anyone could think of that might do the trick? Is there anything around which might [I]analyze[/I] the [I]health[/I] of the hardware components associated with disc burning?

Hey guys, I’d really appreciate it if a few of ya took a serious crack at this problem.

I ran the Fix It tool twiceusing both options, as well as accessing iTunes through the Control Panel and ran the ‘Repair’ operation. Neither thing did the trick. I’m hoping that a few of ya’ll could come up with a few, quality suggestions here.

*** Is there any Diagnostic in existence which might analyze the health of the hardware components associated with disc burning?

Its possible that the drive itself has gone bad, at least for writing data. Matshita drives are regarded as some of the worst drives made, for burn quality and durability. We see more problems with Matshita laptop drives than any other, possibly more than all other laptop drives combined. The drive may not show any outward signs of failure by the way…no yellow flags in Device Manager for example.

You can plug in a external drive and see if there is any improvement. Assumes you have access to one.

Have you run any antivirus/antimalware programs to look for a virus or rootkit?

Did you try ImgBurn for a simple data burn? If so, do you have the burn log? (look in Help–>ImgBurn logs)

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2520574]Its possible that the drive itself has gone bad, at least for writing data. Matshita drives are regarded as some of the worst drives made, for burn quality and durability. We see more problems with Matshita laptop drives than any other, possibly more than all other laptop drives combined. The drive may not show any outward signs of failure by the way…no yellow flags in Device Manager for example.

You can plug in a external drive and see if there is any improvement. Assumes you have access to one.

Have you run any antivirus/antimalware programs to look for a virus or rootkit?

Did you try ImgBurn for a simple data burn? If so, do you have the burn log? (look in Help–>ImgBurn logs)[/QUOTE]

I am currently gearing up for a small ImgBurn session…Found a small 1.8 GB concert on my external HD and just made room for that on my laptop…Will attempt an ImgBurn trial tonight or in the morning…

What exactly will I be looking for if the trial fails…You said that there would be some kinda language to be on the lookout for…

Aside from that possibility, are there any HARDWARE diagnostic tools that you can think of that might give me a clue about the functioning of my related components?..Maybe if you don’t yourself you could ask someone for me, since noone else seems to be responding to my pleas here.

AND, finally, what’s the deal with ‘registry errors’? Could something like that apply here? Could there be an error in some line of language that is causing ALL ‘copying’ software to crap out?

I’ve seen these DIVX/iTunes problems scattered throughout the net…BUT noone seems to have a legitimate fix for them…What’s up with that?

AND ALSO, I find it way strange that I can’t even find a ‘definition’ of what type of errors these particular codes possibly correlate to…these 4280, 4450 codes? What do these error codes represent? What has gone wrong to cause such codes to be cited by the system?..Is it unbelievable to me that noone or nowhere can [I]define[/I] what these codes mean!!!

PLEASE HELP.

If the burn fails, post the error log here. Those ImgBurn logs usually give us something to work with. The[I] Maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded[/I] error is the one that has shown up in the past when a virus interferes with the burn process.

There are no hardware diagnostics for optical drives that I know of.

Registry…well, the Fix It tool from MS has supplanted the old way of fixing upper and lower filter problems in the registry. If it didn’t help, you probably don’t have that problem. If you want to try it manually take a look at the instructions on this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461
You might have to reinstall iTunes and the Divx program after doing this.