Audigy2 vs. ATI Radeon 8500AIW on KT7-RAID

I recently replaced an audigy with an audigy 2 soundcard using the same PCI slot. Suddenly, the ATI TV Player refused to load completely. If I pull the card, the TV Player works fine. I’ve tried moving the audigy2 to other PCI slots, but I was hoping that someone here might have some input that would resolve this faster than trial and error could.

Thanks in advance.

hehe. another fine example of creative’s fine driver craftsmanship. I have a friend with the audigy2, and there is problems galore with it causing the system to bluescreen. Maybe you’re just SOL until new drivers, just like everyone else. :frowning:

Well it’s a toss-up as to which drivers are less reliable, Creative or ATI, but I think the problem here involves IRQs.

Originally posted by compu44
hehe. another fine example of creative’s fine driver craftsmanship. I have a friend with the audigy2, and there is problems galore with it causing the system to bluescreen. Maybe you’re just SOL until new drivers, just like everyone else. :frowning:

you know, you might try to disable one or both of your COM ports in the bios to free up some resources.

I thought that too. I disabled com 2. (I need com 1 for a drawing tablet.) I’m starting to think that you were right about the drivers. I re-installed my old audigy card and all was well until I installed the creative drivers and then the same problem recurred. Now I’ve got everything working with the audigy card and the MS audigy drivers. The audigy 2 goes back to Fry’s tomorrow and I’m a $100 richer. (With my own money, of course.) Thanks very much for your help. All is now well. Until the next crisis that is.

you know, you might try to disable one or both of your COM ports in the bios to free up some resources.

sorry to hear that you couldn’t get it working. That is a really nice card when it works. If it makes you feel any better, I have an original SoundBlaster Live! Platinum and the drivers still aren’t right for it :-). That card was being sold in 1999, if I recall right.

also, I’m thinking that it is the ATi drivers that are at fault, since it does it with both the audigy and the audigy 2. You are using the most recent ATi drivers aren’t you?

No, I’m using the ones that came with the card. The trouble started while I had the most recent ATI drivers installed, though. I find that the older ones actually work more stably in my system. Go figure. It’s odd (or maybe not) that neither Creative nor ATI have any hits in their knowledge bases about conflicts with these drivers. You’d think that it would cut down on a lot of tech support requests.

also, I’m thinking that it is the ATi drivers that are at fault, since it does it with both the audigy and the audigy 2. You are using the most recent ATi drivers aren’t you?

well, to be honest, i’m pretty dis-satisfied with the support for creative. it’s nearly impossible to even find a real e-mail address for them. and I’m looking for someone to sell my ATi All-In-Wonder 7500 Radeon to at the moment, too much trouble with that one. :slight_smile: Now I need to sell both the creative sound that I have and the ATi video, get a GeForce 4 TI, and some capture card, and find a PCI card that has the same sound as is onboard on an Asus A7N266-Vm/aa. (got a pretty clear plan for this box, eh?)

Are the GeForce cards any better in terms of support and compatiblity? After the sneaky stuff they did with GeForce 4 and 2 very different chipsets and performance, I wrote them off. Of course I wrote off ATI back in 1989 when they stopped supporting the card that came with my Gateway 486 after never getting the drivers right, but that is another story. (And a testement to both my lack of resolve and the lack of much competition in the graphics card market.)

i’ve never had any trouble at all with the Nvidia cards, they seem to be well supported, and the drivers have been conflict free. Highly reccomended. Just read up on the various brands selling the cards before you buy.

Having the TV turner/capture as a second device might not be a bad idea, either.

well, see that’s along the lines of what I was thinking. I know that the Radeon 7500 (non-all-in-wonder) doesn’t have any problems when overclocking the system bus, but the all-in-wonder version will become unstable when the bus gets to 139 or higher.

I thought ATI finally fixed that with the 9700 AIW.

too little too late for me, even if they did. Ati has screwed me again and again, and i’ve had enough. I will never purchase another ATi card.

You just have to hope that they continue to have competion.

Er, that’s competition.

somehow I doubt that they have any chance of lasting longer than Nvidia, but that’s just my opinion.

I’ve been using the 9700 AIW for a couple of months with the Santa Cruz sound card on 3 different Athlon boards. KT266a, 2 different nforce2’s. Had no issues major issues. Captured video of my neice singing. Captured various TV shows/Boxing matches. No discernable frame drops or sound glitches.

Got a free P4 3.06 533 hyperthreading CPU so I got a Giga-Byte 8SQ800 board. Everything worked fine. Decided to upgrade the sound.

Purchased the Audigy2 Plat. Ex. Got excited about the features.
Uninstalled the Santa Cruz. Installed the Audigy. Seemed to work ok. Noticed some shared Irqs so I reshuffled the PCI cards. Started noticing static. Tried installing a game and heard the static during file writes to hard disk. Figured I screwed up the cards. So I reverted to the original config. The static was still there. Backed up my data and blew away the disk. Fresh install of WinXP/SP1. Windows update. Audigy drivers. ATI drivers. Still static. Started the TV showed fine not too much static. Tried to capture and lots of static and the video stuttered. Pulled the Audigy and installed the Santa Cruz along with a fresh XP install and everything worked fine.

Contacted Creative tech support. They gave me several suggestions over several phone calls over several days. None worked. The final suggestion was to plug the Audigy into another machine. I was not about to screw up another computer with Creatives drivers. Finally had to take an irate tone in order to get an RMA. Apparently if the tech issues too many RMA’s they get reprimanded. Probably lose out on bonuses or something like that. I don’t blame the techs. I blame Creative’s policies.

I’ll let you know what happens when the replacement comes in. I hope it’s a bad part rather than crap drivers or even worse a poor design.

…and find a PCI card that has the same sound as is onboard on an Asus A7N266-Vm/aa. (got a pretty clear plan for this box, eh?)

Now that you mentioned this, how good is this compared to say a SB Live! - I have that mobo but never enabled the onboard chip. I always thought the SB Live! was better.