Audacity...questions

vbimport

If you import a WAV file into audacity for the sole purpose of amplifying the track…when you do this and “save as WAV file” does this create another file or just adjust the available file louder?

I’ve imported a WAV file, did the volume boosting, saved it…and wonder…does it create a new track or just amend the track that’s already there?

Is there any quality loss?..I want to burn low volume tracks I’ve amplifyied…and wonder about this…

Sorry to be so ignorant on the subject, but we all gotta learn at some point…

Joel

Thanks for all the answers :frowning:

anybody got any suggestions or opinions on this software (freeware)?

Originally posted by joelmon

anybody got any suggestions or opinions on this software
Joel,

EAC ( Exact Audio Copy www.exactaudiocopy.de ) is a freeware, so just dl it and run.

If the file volume is too low, you can boost it by doing the following :

Tools > Process WAV > get it from a directory > Sound Processing window opens > click on Process File > in Normalize Level window set the value to 98% [COLOR=red]* > click OK > Normalizing is done > then goto : File and click on :

a. Save , if you want to save the same file but just normalized.
In this case there will be no additional WAVs on your HD but only this one. The original will be replaced by it.

b. Save AS, if you want to save an additional normalized file on your HD along with the original one.
In this case you will have to rename this particular file before saving it, e.g " Black Dog 2" in order to be able to save it.
By saving this way, you’ll get 2 files on you HD - the original unboosted file called " Black Dog " and the normalized to 98% one called "Black Dog 2 ".

So, in short, to answer your concrete question >
yes, this procedure, that you mentioned above, just amend the track that’s already there.

• ( actually it should be set to this value by default . To do so goto : EAC > EAC Options > Normalize tab > set it to 98% there, check the Normalize box and click OK )

Cheers ! [/COLOR] :wink:

I’ve got Plextools, Audacity and EZ cd cremator (Iknow, Iknow!!!) in my programs…will adding EAC conflict with any of these?

I don’t know enough about this to do it blindly…

Thanks…Joel

Originally posted by joelmon

I’ve got Plextools, Audacity and EZ cd cremator (Iknow, Iknow!!!) in my programs…will adding EAC conflict with any of these?

I don’t know enough about this to do it blindly…

G’day Joel !

No it won’t cause your system any troubles - EAC is very compact and absolutely harmless.

Furthermore, the above procedure is not as complicated as it might sound -
it would be much easier to understand it if I put in some visual effects in it )))
But…once you’ve done it and remembered the process that way,
it would become for you like an everyday porridge :bigsmile:

Cheers !

Good day to you too…

Thanks, I’ll download it and see what I can do…

Joel