Attitude of Cd/DVD sellers!

I usually use DVD +r(sony) for archival purposes due to the claim that it has better error correction.

Where i buy the Dvd they have 10 Pk spindles of dvd-r (sony)

But dvd +r the dont have 10 pk spindles , the only have 100 pk spindles … They are giving me Dvd+r from that spindle

What really hurts me is they keep that 100 Pk spindle open (only the bottom of the spindle is there the top is removed ( exposing the dvd s to the light,
I wonder
Which is better Dvd +r (light exposed) Or should i go to DVd -r (10pk)

Is there thst much reliability benefit for DVD +R ? over DVD -R?

Or is somewhat same?

I need Longer data expectancy at all cost!

For what I know there is no reliability difference between +R and -R media.

The only thing you must have care is to select proven quality disc.

Sony discs are not exactly what I call “good” media. They can have a decent quality, but if you want proven quality discs I suggest to get Verbatim or Taiyo yuden.

I agree, however, that buying discs from an open box continuously exposed to the sunlight is not a good idea. The best option is always to get a closed box :slight_smile:

if i want archival reliabiltiy and longevity of the dvd can consider Dvd -r over Dvd +r for the current situation?

As I said, there is no difference in time durability between +R and -R. If the disc is a good quality one, you can use both safely.

Simply get the ones you can find more easily or at a better price :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=_sekhar;2232752]I usually use DVD +r(sony) for archival purposes due to the claim that it has better error correction.

Where i buy the Dvd they have 10 Pk spindles of dvd-r (sony)

But dvd +r the dont have 10 pk spindles , the only have 100 pk spindles … They are giving me Dvd+r from that spindle

What really hurts me is they keep that 100 Pk spindle open (only the bottom of the spindle is there the top is removed ( exposing the dvd s to the light,
I wonder
Which is better Dvd +r (light exposed) Or should i go to DVd -r (10pk)[/QUOTE]
If the burning surface is not exposed to light it should not be a problem. Actually sun light is the most destructive.

there is a difference in reliability but the difference between a +R and a -R is not related to the dye layer in the disc.

The difference is a mechanical one with the configuiration of the “pits” and the location method.

a -R uses data space for file location
a +R the location is a pressed in component of the pregroove.

a -R user “prepits” to locate the pits.
a +R doesn’t have prepits and the pits themselves are larger.

IF you EVER do multisession a -R disc requires a LARGE leadout and lead-in between disc data sessions, this is on the order of 70Mb-90Mb, even if the final session is the last one on the disc.

a +R disc requires only about 7Kb of “lead out”" between sessions.

if the quality of the discs is EXACTLY THE SAME, the +R are better
I’m not prepared to claim that the difference between a +R and a -R is greater than the difference between a Sony labeled “Mystery disc” and a T-Y produced disc, but there is no question whatsoever
that two basically identical discs the +R is better.

However you’ll only ever see that difference if you compare two discs with identical scratches.

the +R are more readable with a given level of scratches.

+R are basically the result of several years of additional research.

as for getting discs from an open spindle pack?

either buy your discs from somewhere else, or buy enough at once that you can get a sealed pack.

I have several sealed 100pack spindles of Sony labeled DVD+R’s
Right around christmas time Staples had them on sale for $22.95.
(around 1/3 the normal price) I bought three.

they may not be the best, but for almost exactly 25cents each…
Over the counter retail price they are good enough.

I archive my mp3 library on DVD+R discs, but I make fresh backups every three months or so, and 90% of those backups is stuff I’ve already backed up and so far discs even a year old are still readable.

AD

+R are basically the result of several years of additional research.

Or was it basically to avoid paying licensing fees to the original DVD Forum (DVD Consortium).

And their choice of this as their logo on all blanks:

Was a constant source of confusion for those who assumed RW stood for Re-Writable.

[I]The DVD Forum is responsible for the official DVD format specification. The group handles licensing of the DVD format and logo through the DVD Format and Logo Licensing Corporation (DVD FLLC), which also publishes the official specifications in book form. Reference materials and newsletters are published for DVD Forum members.[I][/I][/I]

Yes, the logo was an exceptionally poor choice.

I find that in general the +R discs burn in a slightly shorter ammount of time and more reliably read at faster rates.

though that is subjective…

Seen THIS before?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2233305]Yes, the logo was an exceptionally poor choice.

I find that in general the +R discs burn in a slightly shorter ammount of time and more reliably read at faster rates.

though that is subjective…

Seen THIS before?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Why-DVDRW-is-superior-to-DVD-RW/[/QUOTE]
Yes it’s often linked to. For me the main point was the original -R camp was trying to develop a disc that would play in the majority of players out there. They were quite successful. On the other hand the +R camp, with their supposedly more sophisticated technology, ended up with a less compatible disc, which to me was a step back.

I still use TYG02, which my Pioneer and Optiarc burners burn at 12X with excellent scans. They have proven to be reliable [I]and[/I] cheap to use. I’m sure many can say the same about their +R media.