ATMOS Audio Drop Outs - Details thread

Unfortunately, no.

Thanks - The good news is that it appears to be just these two titles (GOTG II, and POTC DMTNT)

That is true thus far. It strikes me as odd that both of those titles were given such high bitrate TrueHD tracks while subsequent Disney films have not.

These were the very first two UHD BD from Disney/Buena Vista so… it could be poor mastering.

1 Like

Anyone else had drop outs with “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” (another Disney Title)? I’m going to re-rip to be sure but it was a mess with a bunch of drops outs when bitstreaming ATMOS but seems fine with decoding using the TrueHD stream.

Edit - MediaInfo reports it has a Max Bitrate of 12.1 Mb/s

Disney movies consistently give me some drop and stutter when playing the MKVs Atmos bitstream from my Oppo 203. If I change the audio output to PCM then it’s fine.

Happens with Coco, SWTLJ, and Thor last night had a couple. I’ve played a bunch of other UHD MKVs the same way and had no issues.

If I play the movie as a folder structure full rip, then the audio off the Disney discs is fine as well.

I should also add I tried the same Coco MKV on an attached drive to the Oppo. It stuttered as bad. It’s nothing to do with my network setup.

I may try the new Dune 4k Pro. I’m really curious to see if the same file stutters off another player that can bitstream.

If I play the same Coco file on my Apple TV via Infuse through Plex with the 7.1 PCM output, then its 100% stable. No stutter.

Interesting. I have not played back my rip, but I do see it has the dreaded 12Mb/s bitrate. What’s more interesting to me is that this is the first title from 20th Century Fox in the US with this high of a bitrate. I am guessing these dropouts are repeatable. Do you have any timestamps so I can verify?

are you playing from mkv or folder structure rip? i assume folder but just checking…

Tested “Maze Runner: The Death Cure” with another rip to folder (one was MakeMKV, the other AnyDVD). This is an easy one to find an example. There are a series of rapid ATMOS drop outs right in the opening 20th Century Fox logo when playing the main movie. My ATMOS decoder light goes mad on the Yami RX-A3060 flashing on and off and it is so bad playback for me actually then stalls. Switching to decoding the audio and it plays fine. Discs plays fine on the XBoxOneS on the same AVR/PJ setup.

Edit: Also tested on my LG OLED (feed by another RX-A3060), but this one is a 5.1 setup (no atmos speakers) so I normally decode on this rig. Switching to Bitstreaming to test, this rig (with the LG OLED) is better behaved as the drops out are only about 1 sec (about 4 of them in this opening sequence). At least playback does not stall.

(note: cross posted at JRiver Forum)

I’ve just had a look at the Max Bit Rates (reported by Media Info) on about 70 Atmos discs that I have. The only 3 above 10 Mb/s that I have are the ones mentioned. I did find that “X-Men: Apocalypse” UHD is reported as exactly 10 Mb/s but I’ve not (yet) tested that disc for drop outs. Edit - making my son watch it now :slight_smile: it’s a hard life!
Edit 2 - No issues with this disc

well there seems to be a common pattern at least. hendrick’s responses aren’t yet encouraging

would be interesting to see what the kodi devs think. i haven’t tried this with kodi yet but can download and install the latest and see what happens.

I am seeing Atmos dropouts on Maze Runner as well. I guess I can add this to Pirates and Gaurdians as a troubled title. I submitted that ticket to the Exo Player group months ago, but it seems to have stagnated. I know when I brought the issue up over at Kodi they didn’t have much to say on the issue either. I can only surmise that this isn’t a big enough issue for any of the devs to care about… yet. I doubt Maze Runner will be the last title with a high bitrate Atmos track.

I’m also wondering if there is some way of reducing the 10sec drop out time I get down to the “blip” others are reporting while we wait… Maybe a HD Fury type device to keep (what I assume) is seen as an EDID change at these points.

The Dune Pro 4k handles these fine by the way.

It has other problems but it can cope with these high bitrate atmos tracks.

Good to know. Thanks for the information.

off topic but what other problems? i was looking at the latest dune offerings. are they already out?

No forced sub support which is a biggie for me. Occasional weird glitch/skip while watching UHD remuxes. Only saw it once so far but it’s been reported over at avs. Thor Ragnarok drops video and display resyncs at 1:55. Same issue as on similarly specced Zidoo (although it completely crashes the player there). Overall very good picture quality and Dune has a very good reputation when it comes to firmware updates and bug fixes so give it a few months and it should be a solid player.

1 Like

it looks like a nice box but i wish it had multichannel analog out as the DAC they use is quite capable of it.

I’m not sure how you release a box in 2018 with this UI. :face_vomiting:

1 Like