Ativa (LiteOn) DVD-Burner Probs (Lite-On DH-20A3H)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On DH-20A3H. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Ok, so I wanted to get in on all this dvd burning fun. So, I went out and bought a burner that I thought was compatible with my system. It is an Ativa DH-3H20A05C. The drive is actually made by Lite On so I figure it is likely a DH-20A3H. But what do I know, right?

Anyway, I have an older system that is basically max’d out. MSI motherboard (650GLMS) 400Mhz FSB, 2.0 Ghz P4 CPU with 2 Gb PC-133 SD-RAM. No SATA, 66/100/133 PATA. I have 2 HDs running off the Primary IDE while the Ativa is running alone on the secondary.

I dont know how technical people get here, but when I initially installed the drive it was running PIO Mode 2, which if you know is very old technology limited to the single digit Mb/s trasfer rate. I couldn’t burn a dvd so I returned it and got the same problem with the replacement. Did some research and Flashed the Bios of my MB from 1.0 to 1.2. Now the Drive is running UDMA Mode 4 but I dont think thats enough. It burns CDs fast enough and Burned the Lightscribe label quite nicely but that took quite a while. (About 10 Min maybe less).

Im pretty sure this drive is meant to run UDMA Mode 6, as the minimum system requirement for the drive is ATA/133 (Which my system is capable of).

Anyway this is driving me crazy, I just want the stupid thing to work and am ready to trade it for a different manufacturer but am worried that the problem might not be the drive as I cant imagine striking out twice in a row.

Also, this drive is telling me that it is using industry spec: ATAPI-8 but that doesn’t make any sense at all!

Welcome to CD Freaks. :slight_smile:

These drives run no faster than UDMA mode 4, or ATA 66. Probably, the ATA 133 requirement is just a way to make sure the drive runs into no problems due to an out-of-date controller. There’s no way to make the drive do anything above UDMA mode 4, and there’s no need for anything higher.

LightScribe labeling takes some time. 10 minutes sounds normal.

The ATAPI-8 is, from my understanding, the actual command set the drive uses/responds to for all its operations, which probably is industry standard. :iagree:

Thanks for the quick reply.
Here’s an update.

I decided to take the drive back and try a different manufacturer. I got the only other DVD burner with lightscribe that Office Depot had to offer, which is a Memorex MRX-530L. Worked right out of the box. (I literally didn’t even have to plug it in!!! HaHa)

FYI, this drive is also running at UDMA 66 (Mode 4) but only ATAPI 7. Maybe my older MB was having problems understanding the more recent ATAPI 8, of couse it could just be that ativa sucks.

Thanks again.