Atip check removed from securerom ...?

… or is my writer just displaying a new eccentricity?

Last night, I made a back-up of “The Thing” which is protected with new securerom new. Unsurprisingly, the backup worked in both my Ltd-163 and Ltr-24102b (with hide cd media on).

What was surprising was that it also works in my writer with hide cd media off. I subsequently checked whether my copy of WC III upgraded to v. 1.02 would also work from my writer without hide cd media. (It certainly wouldn’t do so with v. 1.00 or v. 1.01). Again, to my surprise, my copy of WC III worked from my writer without skipping a beat notwithstanding that hide cd media was off.

Now I know that my particular writer has some peculiar characteristics (FutureProof thinks it came from another planet or possibly another galaxy :wink: ) but could someone please repeat these tests so as to either confirm that the atip check is gone or that my writer has just developed yet another quirk.

Is “The Thing” any good, or am I just purchasing another variant of CP for my collection? :stuck_out_tongue:

Well it’s another fps/squad type game just set in Antarctica (not really my cup of tea really). However, my number 2 brat who is the fps nut round here reckons it’s pretty good. Unfortunately he reckons practically every fps game is good and the number 1 who is far more discriminating is away for the next couple of weeks so it’s hard for me to say.

Still it has at least 1 benefit. It only occupies a little over 300mb of hard drive space unlike the 1 to 2 gigs that seem typical for fps games lately. :stuck_out_tongue:

strange… i have WCIII, updated to 1.02a and it still has the ATIP check!

i got the usual error… “check your…”

maybe your just lucky!! :wink:

Originally posted by FutureProof
Is “The Thing” any good, or am I just purchasing another variant of CP for my collection? :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t rush out and buy it unless you want the game. I’ve figured out what’s going on and the atip check is still there. What’s more, my idiosyncratic writer hasn’t developed another new quirk.

What’s happening is that alcohol 120% is launching its hide media type function on booting even though I don’t have it configured to load at start-up. When I unchecked that box in alcohol’s emulation functions and re-booted, I got the usual error messages when trying to run a copy of either The Thing or WC III from the writer. Re-checked it and re-booted and both run from the writer without clonecd’s hide cd media.

What’s happening is that alcohol 120% is launching its hide media type function on booting even though I don’t have it configured to load at start-up.
So it aint that your drive came from Mars afterall :wink:

So is it anything like Project Eden then? Heard you can choose from 3 characters or something… and what about the graphics? Are they any good? (yep i am thinking of buying it :slight_smile: )

Originally posted by philamber
[B]

What’s happening is that alcohol 120% is launching its hide media type function on booting even though I don’t have it configured to load at start-up. [/B]
…a hint/tip for the FAQ? Might explain some things as this proggy becomes more popular :wink:

Originally posted by FutureProof
…a hint/tip for the FAQ? Might explain some things as this proggy becomes more popular :wink:

Definitely if it remains the same with the “final” release. And there’s no doubt that the program will become popular; on my system it cuts through securerom as though it weren’t there, dupes safedisc 2 at acceptable speed (so long as I use the writer as reader; slow as an old dog owing to a known bug if I use my dvd though), virtual drive works flawlessly (and not yet s**tlisted the way dt is every other week though,no doubt, that will come) and I can certainly attest that its hide media type function works.

No idea, of course, how good it will be as a general mastering app when those functions are included as is intended. I know the developers are trying to create an all-in-one solution but I just hope they don’t stuff up what looks a highly promising proggie by trying to do too much.