Ati video card

Hi
I want to convert some vhs tapes to dvd. Converting and recording to dvd is no problem but I don’t know how to get the vhs tapes onto my pc in some format such as avi for example. I have ATI Hydravision and ATI multimedia centre software and I have a RADEON 9700/9500 series display adapter. I have also tried Moviemill software but when I enter setup, capture device says no devices found. I think the problem is a hardware one ( although the ATI package that came with the pc gave me all different types of s-video and rca leads and adapters which plug into the pc) so basically can I use what I have or do I need to purchase a different video card
Regards
Elna

try using nerovision express (part of nero 6) , also are you sure its properly connected, did ati not provide you with any video capture software, if so i suggest using that and then editing it in something else, have you tried phoning the ati helpline?

Hi the software I got only plays media there is no record button on the display so I presume you can’t use it to capture video. I cant use nero because I already use Stomp Recordnow to burn my dvds and it conflicts with nero.
I haven’t contacted ati yet I wanted to make sure that the hardware I had was suitable for the job first. (i.e the RADEON 9700/9500 series display adaptor)

Thanks
Elna

@ elna
Consult witht the manual to determine whether your card is a VIVO (Video In/Video Out) model or not. If not you need to get a capture card which costs around 50 bucks.
//Danne

For ATI, you need the All in Wonder Radeon. This card includes the capture. If you do have the AIW, check out http://www.digitalfaq.com/. There are easy to follow directions for using Media Center to capture your VHS.

There’s a difference between VIVO and AIW.
//Danne