ATI Radeon Cards HDCP/AGP for HD-DVD

Okay, now I have been trying to do some reading on the different variations of the HD Radeon variants and it seems that the Visiontek HD2400/2600 XT/Pro seems to have a number of negative reviews concerning the drivers and it seems that the updates for them on Visiontek and ATI’s own website. I have taken a look at the Diamond and Sapphire cards in the same variety and they seem to fair better but they are just a little more expensive. So what do you folks know about the different brands?

BTW here are my specs:

2.4GHZ P4 with 800MHZ FSB and 512KB cache
1GB Corsair DDR400 PC3200 RAM
160GB Seagate 7200RPM IDE HD
360 HD-DVD add-on drive
UDF V2.5 file format for the aforementioned drive
Latest Version of Power DVD
Antec True Power 2.0 430 Watt Power Supply

I am hooking it up via DVI connection to:

37" Westinghouse 37W3 1080p set

Not concerned with computer gaming

Most use ATis reference design so you’ll get in most cases the same card but with a difference sticker and memory chips. I’d go for the Sapphire card, decent performance and ATi OEM partner. Keep in mind that’s its not fast but its the best you can get in that price range. If you can wait a bit longer I’d suggest that you get a C2D CPU, G35-chipset solution instead.
//Danne

Afraid it’s not really an option for me and once again I don’t do PC gaming so it will be dedicated to just HDCP use. Anyways, I can’t seem to find any specs for the power requirements on it. Would the PSU that I listed above work okay for this card?

Your PSU should be fine
Well, my point was that getting a C2D (Core 2 Duo CPU) and G35 (Intel integrated) chipset gives you HDCP out of the box without an external video card and much better overall performance.
//Danne

Yeah, but then I am stuck with nothing but SATA connections and I hate them with a passion due to their compatibility issues with various hardware. Not to mention I would have to replace both my burners and my harddrive. So at that price I might just as well buy an XBOX 360 Elite and keep my current PC setup.

Most motherboards comes with a IDE connector powered by a JMicron controller.
//Danne

Even so, I would still be in a position where I have to replace the processor, motherboard AND RAM. I can’t even find any G35 chipset motherboards at newegg.

If your not going to play HD-dvd’s or blu-ray, then that 2600xt should be fine. There were a few customer reviews that said they didn’t see their cpu utilization go down when switching to that card. So there’s a chance that ATI isn’t giving agp people that hardware assist for decoding.

Looks like that G35 chipset won’t be available for a month or two. I saw an Asus board online /in austrailia/ with G35 and HDMI. Might be worth the wait, I would wait for reviews before getting that though.

DDR2 RAM is very cheap right now, 2 gigs of high quality stuff for 50 dollars… There are AMD 690G MB’s that are capable of 1080p, for around 80 bucks. I think it requires a cpu of at least 2.5Ghz, a 4000+ X2 cpu overclocked can do that easily, for 65 dollars.

There’s this sexy EVGA 7150 board that can do 1080P, its pretty new, check out this Forum

The board is only 70 AR now at the egg . Team that up with an intel e2140 or e2160, a little OC action.

actually Jesterrace, if you think about it, you can have an updated HTPC system for 70+65+50=185. You were already going to spend around 120 on just a video card. If you get an e2140 or e2160 try to get the M0 stepping, clubit.com sells them with stepping information. You can sell some of your old crap on ebay :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=eric93se;1945863]If your not going to play HD-dvd’s or blu-ray, then that 2600xt should be fine. There were a few customer reviews that said they didn’t see their cpu utilization go down when switching to that card. So there’s a chance that ATI isn’t giving agp people that hardware assist for decoding.

Looks like that G35 chipset won’t be available for a month or two. I saw an Asus board online /in austrailia/ with G35 and HDMI. Might be worth the wait, I would wait for reviews before getting that though.

DDR2 RAM is very cheap right now, 2 gigs of high quality stuff for 50 dollars… There are AMD 690G MB’s that are capable of 1080p, for around 80 bucks. I think it requires a cpu of at least 2.5Ghz, a 4000+ X2 cpu overclocked can do that easily, for 65 dollars.[/QUOTE]

Uh, I think I pointed out that the whole thing I wanted to do was to pipe HD-DVD playback from my 360 HD DVD drive through my PC to my HDTV. Anyways, I will look into the AMD components and See what I can find. Thanks for the info.

I think P4 2.4Ghz is underspecs. And the Xbox HD DVD which is connected via USB will really absorb your resources.

Cyberlink suggests a minimum P4 3.2Ghz. Almost all INTERNAL Blu-ray and HD DVD drives also minimum P4 3.2Ghz on their specs sheet.
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/support/answerbox_productfaq.jsp?FID=2576&nProdId=31&ProdVerId=-1&nCateId=5

And btw, you will still need to shell out some $$ to get PowerDVD if you haven’t.

I think I would agree with Dizzy and eric83 that rather you invest on a $100 video card and turns out you’re not satisfied with the outcome of the entire system, maybe spend a few dollars more to build a HTPC as suggested above.

Yeah, I think I have decided to go that route, as long as there is a way for me to keep my IDE HD and 2 IDE DVD Burners. As far as the software goes I already have UDF V2.5 and the latest Power DVD so I am all good to go on that front.

For gods sake, dont go nForce,.
G35-chipset motherboards is about to be relased in the US (already released on EU) and is way better than nCrap and have much better drivers and compatibility. Not to mention that C2D performs much better, You’re better off with 690G if you want AMD such as Gigabyte’s S2H-card.
//Danne

Yeah, but the cheapest core 2 duo processor that I can find runs about $150 to say nothing of the price of a brand new mobo with that technology. It would be well over a year before it would be affordable. I never buy the latest technology as you always end up getting stuck with the development costs.

I take it that this is the mobo that you are referring to (AMD):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128056

Whatayamean 150?. The e2180 is a dual core allendale /conroe technology/ just a bit less cache, it runs at 2.0GHz dual core, 90 dollars. It can be easily overclocked to 3.0GHz. There is also the e2160.

Yes Jesterrace, that’s the one.[U][/U]
//Danne

i have my 360 hd-dvd player hooked up to my pc (amd 64 x2 4200)without HDCP (crap) and can watch any HD movie cause of that little program called “anydvd”.

[QUOTE=eric93se;1946067]Whatayamean 150?. The e2180 is a dual core allendale /conroe technology/ just a bit less cache, it runs at 2.0GHz dual core, 90 dollars. It can be easily overclocked to 3.0GHz. There is also the e2160.[/QUOTE]

I won’t do overclocking. That and I was talking about the Core 2 Duo and not the dual core processors. There is a difference. :wink:

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;1945602]Most motherboards comes with a IDE connector powered by a JMicron controller.[/QUOTE]ODD support of Jmicron controllers is limited.