ATI Radeon 9800XT problems

ok… so i have read a few posts on here about this same problem…
but no one answered anything… they just stacked question on question…

i have an ATI Radeon 9800 XT graphics card…
ive had it for quite a few years in a dark closet cause of this…
and im sick of having it take up useless space…

when i have this card in… right from boot-up… even on the bios brand screen… the card has severe problems… incorrect letters like the comp has huge typo problems… it has a checkerboard effect with random strings of just pure crap…
severely distorted picture throughout everything… but not everything is distorted… some windows like firefox or other random things dont get distorted… but the desktop is NOT recognizable… this card worked for quite some time… and it randomly started this crap… i have updated my drivers competely which would matter anyway considering the problem starts before the bios is even loaded… so it is obviously hardware… if i move the card the slightest bit while the computer is on… the distortion and all the crap will change and shift… but never disappear… makes me think its the port prongs on the card itself that are bad… but idk… i have tried it in 3 other computers so i know it isnt my computer causing anything…

my email is (removed)
aim: BloodThirst4Pain
msn: (removed)

i really want to figure this out… whether the card is trash… or if i can do something…

the fact that many people have had this same problem makes me quite pissed that ATI has said nothing about the problem or issued any sort of recall…

Hi and Welcome!

so there is the same behaviour of that card in other computers also?
Then I suppose the card is ready for the electronic waste bin.
Could be some conductor on the PCB that is broken, or some chip is not properly soldered onto the PCB.

Michael
P.S.: I removed your mail address in order to not feed the spammers database. :wink:

Since you are ready to throw it out, you can try baking it in the oven to try and fix it.

Realize that modern driver DO NOT support that video card. You have to get very old drivers to run that card. You should uninstall the drivers, then run “driver sweeper” (free) to clean all the old stuff.

get Omega Drivers v3.8.252, it should support your card.
http://www.omegadrivers.net/archive.php