ATI Radeon 9800 pro problem!

vbimport

Please help me…
I have this Dell computer with a ATI radeon 9800 pro graphic card and the screen is behaving really wierd.I get these flimmers all over the screen and if I open a dialog box and grab it and move it round a bit I always get these strange shadows all around.It looks like this:

and I must say it´s a “bit” annoying :).I have tried to install the latest drivers from ATI but I ended up with uninstalling it since I got a pile of errors (~could not launch -blabla- correctly)
Does ANYbody have ideas of what to do or questions to me that would help me getting rid of "duuh"shadows?PLEASE??

/gs.

You could try using the ATI unistaller (from the ATI site) no clear all ATI things, then install the latest ATI drivers.

Or

Unistall the ati drivers, and try these http://www.omegadrivers.net/ some people think they are better, other disagree, mite aswell give them a whirl.

Have you check thru all the Catalyst control center settings to see if there is anything that is wrong there?

Hope this is one step closer to a solotion

Cheers,no I can´t use the Catalyst CC because I get wierd errors when I reboot,but I haven´t used the ATI uninstaller but I will sure give it a try and I´ll look into those Omega drivers aswell and I´ll report! :slight_smile:

Til then,THNX!

It’s called cat uninstaller and it’s a bug*er to find on there site.

that looks much more like a hardware issue…either your GPU and/or VRAM is going bad or overheating…have you checked the fan to see if it hasn’t seized up or failed? do you have the ability to monitor your GPU temps? have you reseated the vid card? definitely looks like overheating and/or failing hardware to me…

Thnx guys.

This is what I did;I uninstalled all ATI drivers with the ATIuninstaller thing,rebooted and…the screen behaved normally(with no spec drivers)I installed the latest ATI drivers,the Omega drivers did all! contained some xtra goodies according to the AVG antivir installed(trojans downloader something…)When I installed the ATI drivers it all went nuts again and behaved just as before!So I uninstalled all drivers again with the ATIuninstaller and rebooted again and she went fine!?
Now I wonder what to do next?
Of course it could be a overheating problem also but would it behave like this then?And sorry to say I dont have a possibility to monitor any temps…

Try these modded drivers

http://www.techpowerup.com/softmod/downloads.php

Thnx I will do that!I´ll be back…:iagree:

i agree

stupid question but worth a check , your card have a molex (4pin power) connector , is a molex connected to it? if not then its a very good idea to connect one , and if alredy connected then unplug and try another

have a look on the card itself see if the fan is spinning if not then clean it & oil with wd40 or get a new one - but if thats the case then cleaning/getting new fan may not be good enough as due to excessive heat that was caused due to non spinning fan its possible it caused permanent damage to the gpu

also it may be your power supply , get speedfan click here take a screenshot and use “manage attachments” button or upload to imageshack

OK!Will do that,thank you very much!

If it were a hardware issue, it would be doing it over the whole screen, not just where a window used to be. It’s a 2D acceleration issue, is my guess.

The whole screen is corrupted in that screen shot. It’s bad video ram, almost 100% positive. You should make sure all your powersupply output voltages are OK, and make sure the power plug on the card is making a good connection. Noise on the 12v rail, or a low 12v rail might cause that, but usually the machine will crash. I bet that the video ram is FUBAAR. Probably a dead video card. :sad:

LOL - i agree with the VRAM problem - happened to me, but I think if the core ever overheated to the point of damage, it could do that too. This was on my R9600Pro

I had the same problem on my radeon 9800 pro. I have a dell dimension 4600. I looked everywhere online when I first had this problem and I couldn’t find a fix. I couldn’t find any firmware for the vid card either. I just removed it and have been using the built-in video card since then…

Do let me know if you are able to fix your issue. I was thinking about putting my card back in and giving it a try. I haven’t used it in about 5 months.

i had the same problem on my radeon 9800 pro, and found it to be the fan was getting stuck every now and then causing it too heat up too much, i took the fan off and replaced it with an arctic cooler rev.3 and it has never did it since and works brilliantly.

[QUOTE=phil_;1111676]i agree

stupid question but worth a check , your card have a molex (4pin power) connector , is a molex connected to it? if not then its a very good idea to connect one , and if alredy connected then unplug and try another

have a look on the card itself see if the fan is spinning if not then clean it & oil with wd40 or get a new one - but if thats the case then cleaning/getting new fan may not be good enough as due to excessive heat that was caused due to non spinning fan its possible it caused permanent damage to the gpu

also it may be your power supply , get speedfan click here take a screenshot and use “manage attachments” button or upload to imageshack[/QUOTE]

Hi I have a similair problem to this, I have an ATI Radeon 9800Pro, I have updated the driver completely at least to the best of my knowledge (used CCC). I also have tried in Device Manager to update all components and all appear updated.

Now my problem was worse at first, when I started up my computer I had lots of different colours and strange GFX problems, and if I opened FF and scrolled down a page, the images and texts would appear to layer upon each other more and more and closer and closer with every scroll. Now it seems to have become a little less problematic for now at least but whenever I move around an open window the frame will lag far as will FF and IE lag also alot when I scroll up or down. Also I am a WoW player and I cannot open the game either because it says there is an error although the error message unfortunately doesnt shed any light whatsoever as to what the problem is.

So in hope someone here can help me I ask for any advice, I will attach a screen of a speedfan reading

Last time I experienced graphic type problems, I ended up finding that a capacitor on my MB was bad, and it was causing all my problems. That was on a system which was made about 5 - 6 yrs ago, when they had the problems with all the bad capacitors going around. Even my Onkyo DVD player died due to a bad cap… I had the one in the onkyo replaced…

Back several years ago when I had a 9800 PRO I would experience the same thing
only it would happen after the system had booted up and got to the desk top it
would have the screwed up lines and checker board squares and weired colors.
I could reboot and all was well until maybe several boot ups later and the same
problem would return. I tried everything to fix it and finally gave up and sold the
card and went to Nvidia cards and have never looked back no more ATI cards for
me again…well at least not for the foreseeable future anyway. :disagree:

Take big care about (over)heating with these cards!!!

can someone help me? I have a radeon 9800 pro and a dell monitor and need to find out if possible to get the software to turn the stuff vertical. I can get the monitor to turn but xp and all other stuff stays vertical. any help would be great.