ATi 9800 non-pro mod to 9800pro?

vbimport

Does anyone know if this can be done or not? I am contemplating buying a 9800 nonpro at BestBuy for $249 since I have a $40 credit with them. It comes with a 3yr. warranty also.

Any help would be great.

The 9800 and 9800pro are identical, the only difference is the clock speeds they are running at.

Simple overclocking (with programs like Rage3D) could pump your card up to 9800pro level (or even beyond).

Some people flashed their 9800se with a 9800pro BIOS and they claim it works fine.

So my advice: try a software overclock (clockspeeds up to 9800pro level), if that works fine just flash the card with a pro bios…

Do you think I would be better off buying the 98000 non-pro instead of the 9800SE? Which one is more likely to work? Have you heard of any problems with modding the SE to the Pro?\

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

I AM DOING IT!!! Today when I get off work, I am going to BestBuy and buying the ATi Radeon 9800 Non-Pro for $249US!!!

I cant wait!! :bigsmile:

Ill let yall know if I am succesfull at overclocking to 9800 pro speeds.

P.S. - Does anyone know where I can get the software to do the soft mod?? And what speed memory should I hope/look for on this card??

Thanks!!

I believe the difference between the pro & non pro is the memory on the card. The non pro version has memory that may not run as stable at the higher clock speeds. I seem to remember reading that there are different types of memory on the non pro’s. Some of them overclock better than others. I purchased the 9800 non pro at Best Buy over a month ago and have had no need to overclock it. It is a great card for the price. I moved from the ti4200 and noticed a significant difference.

I also heard that the SE is an even different card than the non pro version and it is not as fast as the 9700. The non pro seems to be the one to go with.

Best place for ATI overclocking software:

http://www.rage3d.com/r3dtweak/

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply…I am upgrading from a GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR video card. I think I will see a HUGE difference! I will probably try to overclock within the first month so that I can take it back to the store is something goes wrong. How much did yours cost? It is on sale this week from $299 down to $249, so I figured I would spend my birthday money and buy it.

Thanks again! :slight_smile:

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
[B]Thank you for your reply…I am upgrading from a GeForce2 Ti 64MB DDR video card. I think I will see a HUGE difference! I will probably try to overclock within the first month so that I can take it back to the store is something goes wrong. How much did yours cost? It is on sale this week from $299 down to $249, so I figured I would spend my birthday money and buy it.

Thanks again! :slight_smile: [/B]

Well this is going to be a big difference, I know that for sure.

I went from a GF4-Ti4200 to a Radeon9700np (still oc’ing it) and the different is huge. My 3D Mark 2003 score went from 1000 to 4000 (without OC)… not bad eh?

I just wish I had some time to play games :slight_smile:

I got my ATi 9800 non-pro yesterday and installed it. Booted up and downloaded the newest drivers from ATis website. Installed drivers and restarted. Looked in display properties to change my resolution and it show my video card as a 9800Pro. :confused: Why is that? Is there a problem with the newest drivers that show a non-pro as a pro?? I installed power strip and looked at the clock speeds and they are that of a non-pro.

The memory on the card is Infineon 3.0ns. Is this good? Does anyone think that I will be able to overclock?

Thanks for the help. :slight_smile:

P.S.- If I want to put some heatsinks on the memory, do I need anything other than Artic Sliver? Do I need an adhesive or will the AS hold it fine??

Has anyone run into this before!?!??!??!?? :confused: :confused:

Mine shows as a 9800pro also. I believe this is very common.

Oh…ok…thank you for replying…

That sucks!!! I thought I had made out like a fat rat!!! Oh well. Now I will try to overclock little by little.

It looks like the 2.8ns memory is what you want for overclocking.

Check this board out for ATI related stuff:

ATI 3D Rage Board

Its great.