Athlonxp temperatures

I wonder if you guys could help, I’m looking at my cpu temp. and 54-63 degrees (idle) seems a little high any pointers and or recommended cpu coolers (currently using athlonxp 1900+ retail pack H.S.F.) other spec below

thanx in advance for your help

p.s. post you current cpu info and temperature to help me work out what would be a good/cost effective move

thanx again

54-63 is nothing special for an AMD processor
dont worry too much, start worry if the temparature is going near the 85.
is just one of the disadvantages of an AMD processor

i can’t get my P4 to 54 even when running the whole day at 100% load

Damn that’s some crazy tempt at idle. Rule of thumb for using AMD CPU is never use the retail HSF. For relatively cheap cost, you can get a high end Thermalright SK-7 heatsink w/ a Sunon 80mm 39CFM @ 32dba fan for under $30. Check out SVCompucycle.com for the cheap prices. They ship fast and have good customer service.

I’m currently running a Palomino 1800+ @ 1.7G. Using Alpha 8045 w/ Panaflo 80mm High fan. Idle is 38C, load is 44C. Ambient is 23-25C.

BTW, you’re not using the goo that came w/ the retail HSF right? Pick up a stick of Artic Silver 3 when you get the SK-7, it helps transfer the heat from your CPU core to the heatsink way better than the OEM goo.

dont worry too much, start worry if the temparature is going near the 85.

You’re right at that temp, you’ll be buying a new CPU, 'cause your current one’s fried.

If you have the four holes on your MB then the Alpha with a silent fan will cool good. 63C idle is a little high and certanly not good for your CPU, although it can take temperatures up to 90 (but that’s not recommended).
What speed is your CPU?`
I have a 2100+ with a Arctic Cooling Super Silent Pro TC, temp is 49-55 idle and something like 60-65 full load. I don’t bother about temperatures too much, I prioritize silence.

My shiney new XP2600 / ASUS A7N8X is “cool”. I’m using a Thermalright SK-7 copper heatsink, and a 2200RPM - 26CFM fan (80mm). Idle temps are (via ASUS “PC Probe” utility): 43C CPU and 36C MB. I have yet to see the CPU go over 50C, even with gaming. You may have a problem with the thermal coupling too, I use the little sticky pads from CompUSA. The AMD manual says not to use grease, for what that’s worth.
My MB temp dropped considerably when I upgraded the case fans, now if I could just hear myself think over the noise. I also think that your PSU can do a lot to keep things cool, make sure you have one with the intake fan on the bottom, not on the end.

Don’t worry too much about the temperatures. Often the measurement isn’t really accurate (I’ve seen CPU’s that should be running at 120C… according to the mobo). As long as your Athlon runs really stable at full load (for a long time), there’s nothing to worry about. Just make sure the airflow in your case is enough, since this can give problems. If the temperature in your case exceeds the 40C barrier (goes for both Intel and AMD) your mainboard may suffer damage (especially capacitators!).

I’m using a Coolermaster HHC-01 Silent on my overclocked Athlon 1,4 right now. This neat little 60mm copper block (with heatpipes!) keeps my CPU at 48c at full load. Quite nice I guess…

Forget the temperatures that are displayed in the BIOS or using a software that reads the BIOS information. These temperatures are absolutely not true. All my mobos I had (and it was quite a lot) the temps were about 10-15 °C too high. Believe me, I checked it.
In my water cooled system the CPU (Athlon XP 2600+) has 32 °C at 100% CPU power for hours. The mainboard shows >50 °C!!

That’s quite true. Therefore, I used something like this

Thermal Detector w/ LCD

There are a bunch of variations, but this is the simpliest I can find and does the job. I cut off the excessive plastic around the tip of the probe, and tape it next to the core.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
My shiney new XP2600 / ASUS A7N8X is “cool”. I’m using a Thermalright SK-7 copper heatsink, and a 2200RPM - 26CFM fan (80mm). Idle temps are (via ASUS “PC Probe” utility): 43C CPU and 36C MB. I have yet to see the CPU go over 50C, even with gaming. You may have a problem with the thermal coupling too, I use the little sticky pads from CompUSA. The AMD manual says not to use grease, for what that’s worth.
My MB temp dropped considerably when I upgraded the case fans, now if I could just hear myself think over the noise. I also think that your PSU can do a lot to keep things cool, make sure you have one with the intake fan on the bottom, not on the end.

Hey, I bought the sticky pads from CompUSA and couldn’t even get them on my heatsink. Was a waste of time and money. I wasted all of them just trying to stick them on. And the darn thing cost almost $4! So, can you tell me how you managed to put it on? Is there some special trick?

that is quite resonably a high temprature there… is the xp2200 no o/c…??

but i recommend you take your heatsink off and maybe clean out all the dust normally they can effect your heatsink performance…

and if you are running the stock cooler and paste…ditch it…they are not that reliable to cool down your amd chip…

if you want performance, get the thermalright heatsink range like slk800, slk947u with a 80/92mm fan … will cool your cpu down like a fridge…

if you dont want to spend that much money on a heatsink just stick to the new volcano 12+ they do a good job and some people get better performances with them instead of the slk947u… and its lighter and comes with adjustable fan controller… cant go wrong there!.. it is however 48dba…at full speed…but thats reasonable…for a true overclocker heatsink ehehhehe…:smiley: or the aero 7(sexy too)

but apart from all that…have you ever consider fan ducting??.. it is effective if you are getting cool air outside your case and into your heatsink it dropped my temprature to about 8-10deg!!!

so there are some pointers…hope that helps

Hi all. Im new to CPU fans. On top of my CPU is i assume, a heatsink… Its silver metal with fins. I guess i dont have a CPU fan on top of the HS. What situation calls for buying a CPU fan? Is that the first step in cooling your case, or is altering your case fan the first step? Thanx:cool:

@MaverickMitchell - sounds like a heatsink to me :slight_smile:

First, a few questions:
Is this a retail system? Did you buy it used? Am I correct to assume you did not install the processor & heatsink yourself?

Some processor/heatsink combinations can do without a fan. Usually such heatsinks are very large, and require good case ventilation. At least, this is the case with most modern processors (Athlon XP included).

Normal heatsinks (like those sold with retail cpus) would not be able to keep the cpu cool enough without a fan.

I would highly advise adding a fan. Depending on the heatsink & motherboard, you may need to remove it to attach a fan. It is also important to note that some fans should not be plugged into the motherboard fan headers, as they may draw to much power.

Proper heatsink installation is also VERY important to proper cooling - as it can result in overheating and damage to the cpu.

hope this is of some guidance

My 9th or 10th Athlon XP also didn’t require any fan to run safely.

I’m going to attend an “Athlon 64 seminar” in Seoul next week. I hope I can learn something interesting there.

Some system builders use fans seperated from the heatsink - saw it a lot on older machines, so I don’t know if it can provide enough cooling for modern CPUs.

Most cases will usually benefit from at least an additional intake fan at the front, and extraction at the rear - where two rear positions are provided, it’s preferable to fit quiet / low speed fans in both, to prevent a short loop air circulation back through the other grille.

For a a low to mid speed CPU - and the 1900+ is certainly not a high speed one, unless it’s overclocked heavily by FSB (yes, I’d be trying to run it at 333 FSB), any of the heatsinks with an 80mm fan would probably do - they cool as well or better than an average 60mm fanned heatsing, while also being quieter

I have a 2600+ (333 FBS) that runs @ 30c odd @ idle, then 38c during full load/game play

my temps never get above 45c

Case: Antec SLK3700
power: Antec SL400
2* 120mm fans one front, one rear
standard AMD heatsink and fan.

But my old mans athlon xp 1800+ runs at least 55c
I put 2 80mm fans in but it made no difference.
I think the older xp chips just run hotter. :confused:

edit: how old is this thread!!! :rolleyes:

In my old setup, my Athlon XP 1900 would top out at around 50c with idle around 43. I had a smaller (Thermalright) heatsink with a 60mm delta fan. That thing was loud!

When I replaced my (failing) epox board, I switched to a Thermaltake Volcano 12 (I think thats it, it has the adjustable fan speed dial). When set near the slowest setting, it is pretty quiet, and keeps my cpu at ~39c (near Idle). I turn it up only when I see temps start to climb (I use Motherboard Monitor). At mid speed, under light load, temp is ~36c.

I have 2 80mm intakes (panflo’s), 1 90mm in top back (not counting powersupply), and 2 hard drive coolers (PC Power & Cooling Bay Cool units - and they are still running after near 5 years of continuous use!!!) :bigsmile:

Good Luck!

It’s a refurbished eMachines with an AMD XP 2800+ CPU, bought from TigerDirect almost 3 months ago. I didn’t make any changes to the motherboard. I just looked at the CPU while putting in a new round 80-conductor ATA-133 cable. Thanx for the reply & info:cool:

That is typical of Zalman CPU coolers. That way, it’s easier to use even 120-mm fans running at 1K or 2K RPM which I once or twice did.

Speaking of fans, I ordered yesterday 10 80-mm fans. Hydro-Wave Bearing by Matsushita Panasonic.

66,500 Won including 10% VAT and shipping. About US$50 without shipping and tax. 3-year warranty. 3-pin converter cables.

I was thinking of case designs where the case intake fan blew directly on the CPU heatsink, but for modern ones, they’d need to duct it to get enough flow.

I was also thinking of a Tbred-core 1900+ which is very understressed for that core (overclockers dream!).

An old style Palomino core is tougher to cool, and not a great overclocking prospect either.

I have an old Thunderbird 1200, cooled by a Thermosonic 4210.

I think the cheapest of the rather wedge-shaped 800mm fan heatsinks are probably better than that one now.

NB. Fitting an 80mm fan on a 60mm reducing cone is often unsatisfactory, since the turbulent flow close to a fan cools better than a smoother flow as it’s seperated