ATER - ADER Testing: Discussion & Results

One of the features of KProbe2 tool is ADER testing. (It existed in the old KProbe, but it didn’t work. So this is our first chance to play with this.)

To quote rdgrimes in the KProbe2 thread…

This set of tests is not new, but has also not been used to date. It’s my hope that further discussions of these tests will follow, and we will learn to use this to further identify problems with hardware or media.

To put it simply, this test helps identify problems with laser focus and servo accuracy. It tells us what percentage of bits are written to their correct address.

There have already been some posts in the KProbe2 thread about this and what it means and whatnot… but it’s probably best if all this went into a thread of its own…

Here’s a Ricoh JPNR00 burned at 8x in the ADER test.

That’s a pretty low error level, but here’s the same disc. now scanned for PI/PO

RICOHJPNR01 burned with 812s at 8x in the ADER test.

Edit:
Here is the PI/PO scan of the ADER-write.
Looks like the infamous “4x to finish” kicked in.

Here is the same RICOHJPNR01 in ADER read

ADER-write at 8x (RITEKR01 overspeed)

ADER-read of the same ADER-written disc as above (scanned at 4x because when I scanned this, I didn’t know that I should’ve been using Max… will rescan at Max later)

PI/PO of the same disc above…

ADER-write at 4x (RITEKR01 overspeed)

ADER-read of the same ADER-written disc as above (scanned at 4x because when I scanned this, I didn’t know that I should’ve been using Max… will rescan at Max later…)

PI/PO scan of the same disc above…

since this is a write then read test its my understanding that this will only work on Liteon burners? is this more a test of the media quality than the burner? ie im gonna get alot more pi and po errors writing with my liteon compared to my nec does that affect this test at all?

Originally posted by Jamos
since this is a write then read test its my understanding that this will only work on Liteon burners? is this more a test of the media quality than the burner? ie im gonna get alot more pi and po errors writing with my liteon compared to my nec does that affect this test at all?

Well, presumably, you can do an ADER-read of a disc burned using some other method (like another burner)… For example, this is an ADER-read of a disc burned a while back…

Originally posted by code65536
Well, presumably, you can do an ADER-read of a disc burned using some other method (like another burner)… For example, this is an ADER-read of a disc burned a while back…

ok im getting it now so we do a read test and the total should be less than 8% of what? how do i interpet the raw numbers? and the read should be done at max speed correct?

Originally posted by Jamos
ok im getting it now so we do a read test and the total should be less than 8% of what? how do i interpet the raw numbers? and the read should be done at max speed correct?

Yes, rdgrimes says max. All my scans posted are done at 4x because I didn’t know about needing to set the speed to max when I made these scans yesterday. I’ll get corrected scans of these discs as soon as I get around to it…

I was told that the test speed probably does not affect the results in the same way that it does with read-errors.

I was also told that the read test may not have much value. I see an awfull lot of PUH-slipped messages and have also seen program freezes. (often an indicator of reading issues).

Somewhere I also was told that scanning PI/PO on the test disc is not helpful, although I don’t know why. What we need is a hardware guru to shed some light in here. :cool:

Has anyone else tried the read test using SPTI driver?

Originally posted by rdgrimes
[B]I was told that the test speed probably does not affect the results in the same way that it does with read-errors.

I was also told that the read test may not have much value. I see an awfull lot of PUH-slipped messages and have also seen program freezes. (often an indicator of reading issues).

Somewhere I also was told that scanning PI/PO on the test disc is not helpful, although I don’t know why. What we need is a hardware guru to shed some light in here. :cool:

Has anyone else tried the read test using SPTI driver? [/B]

ive tried it using the SPTI driver it works somewhat but seems to stop around 17%…not sure why.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

Has anyone else tried the read test using SPTI driver?

Yep, my compu “freezes” and gets “locked”. No response to “Ctrl+Alt-Del” and end task. :confused:

This tested on Win2kPro SP4, aspi layer 4.60.

BTW, reads ATER/ADER works OK with ASPI “driver”.

So is this “test” more about the media or the drive?

Originally posted by pchilson
So is this “test” more about the media or the drive?

Unfortunately, there’s no way to separate the media from the drive in any test. In order to get good results, the media must be as accurately made as the drive must be. Media contains a “pre-groove” that must be tracked, and the media must also spin evenly, etc. My best answer to the question is “50/50”.