Atapi dvd dual 4xmax ( cd rom )

vbimport

Hi there , My first post . Is it possible to burn the movies i have downloaded from the internet on to a disc using the above hardware

Maybe. You should give us more details…

Maybe. You should give us more details… Hi Chef , Ive asked a question …told you the hardware i have .

What else do you need !! …waist size ?
show size ?
or MAYBE you should learn how to communicate with people…I found your post a bit forward …as if your laboured to help anyone …if you dont want to help then dont …

chef is correct in that you haven’t given us the information we need to determine the capabilities of your drive.

Download ImgBurn. (a free burning program) www.imgburn.com
Install it, start the program and click on Discovery. That will bring up the main window in ImgBurn. Now, click on Tools–>Drive–>Capabilities. This will show the types of disks that your drive can burn. Take a screenshot of that window and put it into your thread here.

To put an image in your reply, click on Go Advanced, then Manage Attachments.

Thanks kerry , i think ive done it right …cant get the jpg onto this page dont know how but when i click on attachments its there , pl advise regards rs

Hi,

your drive supports writing to blank DVD media.
The bad thing is, it has no writing strategies for the media you can buy these days, so the results might be questionable since the drive has to use some generic write method (for unknown media).

Michael

Hmm. no DL read capabilities as well… methinks this is a very old DVD writer.

So in amongst all the technical jargon …Is it possible to burn the movies i have downloaded from the internet on to a disc using the above hardware ?

Thanks Belvedere…But i knew that …it was me that bought it in 2004 !

[QUOTE=royalscot;2503420]So in amongst all the technical jargon …Is it possible to burn the movies i have downloaded from the internet on to a disc using the above hardware ?[/QUOTE]The definitive answer can only be given by yourself. Just try it and you’ll know :wink:

The definitive answer can only be given by yourself. Just try it and you’ll know

Now why didnt i think of that …deary me how silly of me …and this answer came from a moderator …what a marvellous site this is …pht

Another marvellous Mod already told you that your device can’t use the best writing
strategy as it doesn’t “know” the media you can buy these days.
So as long as no one here owns the same burner model (& uses the same media)
as you we simply can’t give a definitive answer.

P.S.: i can’t help it if you’re reading something cynical into my statement.

If you will take a second and try to understand the answers you’ve been given, you will have a better grasp on the problem facing you. Gratuitous sarcasm will net you very little.

DVD drives have a type of built-in software…it is called firmware in the drive and is contained in a rom chip. The firmware determines how the drive recognizes blank media, and sets the burning strategy for each type of disk. Media that has been introduced since your drive’s firmware was released will not be recognized properly, and thus the drive will resort to using a generic burning strategy, and most likely will give you poor results, or even failed burns with newer media.

Your best course of action, if you want to use this particular drive, would be to obtain some Taiyo Yuden 8x blank disks. These are the closest thing to universally accepted disks that are available. If you are in the US, you can buy them online at sites like Rima.com or Supermediastore.com. If you are in Europe, they are not as easily found.

I would advise trying to update the firmware, but your drive is so old, this would be pointless. Firmware updates usually stop within a year or so of manufacture.

The other options would be to try Verbatim 8x (if you can find it), or Verbatim 16x disks. Verbatim makes good quality media, but the 16x media would still be a crapshoot with a drive this old.

You can also simply get a newer drive. DVD burners are relatively inexpensive these days. Once you have compatible media for whichever drive you use, you can burn video onto a dvd. If the format is not supported by your stand alone dvd player, you might have to convert it however. Some players can handle avi files encoded with xvid or divx, many cannot. All will be able to play dvd-video, so that is a safe choice as a conversion target.

AVStoDVD is a free conversion program that gives excellent results, if it turns out you need to convert your videos.

Another marvellous Mod already told you that your device can’t use the best writing
strategy as it doesn’t “know” the media you can buy these days…Not got a clue what this means ??

So as long as no one here owns the same burner model (& uses the same media)
as you we simply can’t give a definitive answer…At last an answer i can understand : )

Terramex …please understand …When people ask a question about a certain subject it does help when its answered in a reasonably simple way …Your definitive answer was ridiculous to say the least … The only positive answer i have been given… told me that my dvd writer was old !! ( i never asked if you could tell me if it was old or not because i already knew that )

@ royalscot

You sound like a real wingnut. These guys are trying to help you. If you don’t understand their answers then ask NICELY for clarification. Blank DVDs are 25 cents each, so it won’t kill you to give the following a go.

1. If you downloaded a movie from the internet (torrent site?) then it’s probably an Xvid file or maybe x264. You need ConvertXtoDVD. It’s the program most of us on this site use. Go find and install.

Here is the manufacturer’s site:
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/
Looks like they give you a demo version. Try that first.

1. Use ConvertXtoDVD to convert. I believe it has a burning engine, so you can burn the result to a blank DVD.

2. If it works, great. If not then see if there’s a firmware update from the DVD drive’s maufacturer. This might help.

If you have more questions or need clarification then ask me NICELY and I will do my best to get you burning movies. Keep in mind that a new DVD drive is about $30. It might just be worth your while to buy one, especially if you plan on burning lots of DVDs. Personally, I like Pioneer. Let us know how you make out.

[QUOTE=royalscot;2503189]Maybe. You should give us more details… Hi Chef , Ive asked a question …told you the hardware i have .

What else do you need !! …waist size ?
show size ?
or MAYBE you should learn how to communicate with people…I found your post a bit forward …as if your laboured to help anyone …if you dont want to help then dont …[/QUOTE]

LOL, your reply sounds ignorant. :bigsmile:

But its getting worse, you are not even able to quote someone’s post…

And to top that all, you want to dictate your thoughts over respectable moderators here on cdfreaks/myce…

To add something from the forum rules, you wont get help here if your downloaded movies are “warez” from the net.

Could you all, including the original poster, stop making each other angry?

[QUOTE=royalscot;2503422]Thanks Belvedere…But i knew that …it was me that bought it in 2004 ![/QUOTE]

Speaking in computer time, your dvd writer is quite ancient. :slight_smile: It does not have compatibility with a lot of writing strategies and formats.

Writing strategies

Every brand of disc is different and can handle different speeds (2x, 4x, 8x, etc). In order to know these kinds of speeds for each brand, the dvd writer has an internal list inside. This list is a part of the drives’ firmware. I.E.: Verbatim 4x : “write like this and this and you shall have a nice good disc!”.

Your drive, does not have a single writing strategy for todays available discs. Therefore, the outcoming result of a disc write is unknown.

If a drive does not recognize the disc, it will usually revert to very slow basic writing speeds for optimal compatility. This is usually 2 speed writing. Very slow, but it will get the job done.

Nevertheless, you should be able to download and burn anything on that device, taken into care that it fits on the 4.5 Gigabytes that is available per dvd (re)writable disc.

I would like to suggest that you buy a 5-pack of the cheapest dvd+r you can find or a single dvd+rw disk (whichever is cheaper) and start testing your writer.

You can basically write using one of the following strategies:

• DVD Data disc: Just a bunch of files
  • From ISO to DVD : Just write a 4.5 GB ISO file onto the disc.
  • DVD Video: Special format to play dvd video movies onto standalone dvd players. These can be recognized by the standard AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS maps on the disc, containing a bunch of VOB files.