ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L ATA Reading problem

vbimport

hey guy’s im new so sorry if i posted in the wrong section

My Grandmother purchased a HP a1530a PC and it has a ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L ATA drive in it i have been trying to back up some dvds using DVD Fab when reading it gets to 52% then the drive starts making a clicking noise and says reading failed i then tried it with anydvd and nero recode won’t even finish analyzing the disk and starts clicking again i then tried to rip them and i get a message saying I/O device error i am using windows vista and have upgraded the firmware to the latest on the hp website i know its not in the dvds as i have tried them in the home dvd and also in my pc and they work fine what could the problem be.

Thanks for any help

[QUOTE=hsv91ss;2024815]hey guy’s im new so sorry if i posted in the wrong section

My Grandmother purchased a HP a1530a PC and it has a ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L ATA drive in it i have been trying to back up some dvds using DVD Fab when reading it gets to 52% then the drive starts making a clicking noise and says reading failed i then tried it with anydvd and nero recode won’t even finish analyzing the disk and starts clicking again i then tried to rip them and i get a message saying I/O device error i am using windows vista and have upgraded the firmware to the latest on the hp website i know its not in the dvds as i have tried them in the home dvd and also in my pc and they work fine what could the problem be.

Thanks for any help[/QUOTE]

Clicking noise from the drive :eek: not good my friend,…open up the case and check all of the connections also while you have it open see if the drive is using 80 wire IDE cable not that this is the problem but it is better to use 80 wire over 40 wire.
If all connections are good try uninstalling the drive in Device Manager then reboot the system windows will reinstall it,…bur my guess would be time to use it has a door stop but who knows

I would not open the case just yet

first go int device manager & see if you are in DMA mode
if you are then open cd speed by nero & do a transfer rate test please post findings

16A1L is a SATA/LightScribe model.

Does it rip unencrypted DVD’s? Is the region code set?

i checked and DMA is enabled i got an error while using nero cd-dvd drive speed here is a screenshot

I then seen it meant i was using bad media so i tried 5 original dvds same error with every one

I tried to rip a disk with no encryption and no luck and yes the region code is set.

Have you installed the “NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller Update” yet?

that update wasen’t installed so i downloaded and installed it re tried and the exact same thing happened i contacted HP and they said to ring there tech support and they might send out a replacement drive though should i get them to replace it or should i just buy a better drive ? HP said it is a hardware malfunction if its clicking which it is.

[QUOTE=hsv91ss;2024950][B]i checked and DMA is enabled[/B] i got an error while using nero cd-dvd drive speed here is a screenshot

I then seen it meant i was using bad media so i tried 5 original dvds same error with every one

I tried to rip a disk with no encryption and no luck and yes the region code is set.[/QUOTE]

which DMA mode?

Get better media and the problems should disappear.

Also, you have AnyDVD, so why bother about copy-protections??

The problem has gotten worse it now won’t even read keeps telling me that all my dvds are blank yet there all original dvd movies and it scratches them

I think the drive is almost dead

Thanks for all the help

Time to RMA the drive.

Rang HP and told them the errors i was getting so they are sending out a technician to replace the drive thought it was the best way so i didn’t have to open and void the warranty but ill go and buy a 2nd drive tomorrow and get him to install it as well just incase.

hanks for all the help guys