Ata 100 dvd drives

vbimport

Is their any ata 100 drives outside the asus drive that used to be around. is the sony drive ata 100?

ATA100 optical drives are a hoax. Imagine writing a 700MB CD in 7 seconds. I don’t think so. What makes you think ATA100 optical drives are possible when you can’t even achive that speed w/ a pair of WD120JB in RAID 0? You’ll be hard pressed to find an optical drive that can transfer data at half of its ATA33 speed.:Z

Is their any ata 100 drives outside the asus drive that used to be around.

i’ve never heard of any asus drive capable of ata100. as Stoner said, ata100 for an optical drive is ludicrous. a cd being read at 52x tops out at 7.8 mb/sec, while a dvd being read at 16x tops out at 21.6 mb/sec.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life. But I too am looking for an ata-100/133 optical drive. It’s not for the performance of the optical drive itself, but rather to allow me to connect a hard drive on the same channel without degrading the performance of the HD.

What model is the ASUS drive mentioned here? Also, the only optical drive I’ve seen that’s greater than ATA-33 is a 16x BTC DVD-ROM drive at ATA-66 oddly.

p.s. I’ve also posted about this in the General Hardware Forum since it seems the forum for writers is seperated from readers.

The ASUS DVD-ROM drive supports UDMA5 (ATA100) but actually only gets 50MB/sec burst speed. But you don’t need more than ATA33, since even at 16x speed its only 22MB/sec. The Plextor 716 DVD+/-R drive supports UDMA4 (ATA66) but again its max 16x burning is 22MB/sec.

The performance of your HD will not degrade if you use a 80-ribbon cable
This cable (which you probably already use because of your HD) makes it possible to have different ATAspeed-devices without them influencing each other. You don’t need a quicker optical drive for that.

A least that’s what I’ve been told :slight_smile:

Thanks for replies. Well, from the warnings cited in a few ATA controller manuals to what I know, connecting an ATA-33 device on the same channel with a ATA-100 device will slow it down to ATA-33. This is because ATA doesn’t have a “disconnect” feature (unlike SCSI) to allow that from what I understand.

Not sure if they get round it completely, but “disconnect” can be emulated to a degree by good buffer management … not jamming a write buffer at full (the old “fill until busy” method left the channel waiting on the write buffer), and presumably the same could be achieved with read buffers (don’t fully empty).

There is a seperate issue of time occupancy, even with perfect control, an optical drive doing 22Mb/s (16x max DVD) at ATA/33 speed, will occupy 2/3 of the time, leaving an ATA/66 only capable of 22Mb/s, an ATA/100 with 33Mb/s, or an ATA/133 at 44Mb/s.

And that’s BEST CASE.

The general idea of ATA interface speeds, is that the interface speed should be at least double the sustained transfer rate, in order to minimize congestion - though the effectiveness depends on how intelligently the drives are handled by software, due to the lack of disconnect.

I have an Asus ATA-100 DVD-ROM as master and a NEC ATA-33 3520A DVD burner drive as slave on the same ATA-100 channel - both run at correct bus speeds, the Asus is slowed down to ATA-33 speeds. Modern IDE controllers can handle drives of different bus speeds on the same channel.