ATA-100/133 optical drives

vbimport

Hello, are there any ATA optical drives (readers or writers) that run at ATA-100 or ATA-133? I’ve come across an old post in the recording forum which I’ve also replied to, mentioning an ASUS burner. I’m interested in such interfaces so I can connect a HD on the same channel as the optical drive without degrading its performance.

Hey there,
I am pritty sure that all (new) burners use ATA/66. I have heard talk of hacking the firmware to increase it but theres not much cos ATA/66 is fine for buring 4x-16x in the first place. Its the same for reader… 66mb/s is fine.

\\VH////
:slight_smile:

so I can connect a HD on the same channel as the optical drive without degrading its performance.

This is not the case. There’s no loss of performance accosiated with connecting an ATA33 drive on the same channel as a ATA133 drive. There are some issues related to having an optical drive sharing with a HD, but these are not related to the speed of the interface. Not since the days of ATA66 controllers have we seen any problems with mixing drives.

ANY 2 drives sharing a channel will conflict if you try to use them both at once.

For the DVD drive itself, even the UDMA ATA33 has no performance problems that you’ll notice. At 16X speed the transfer rate is about 22MBs, so there is no need for faster interface for the DVD drive alone. You can confirm this using Nero CD-DVD speed transfer rate test, that only reads the DVD.
Now, for full performance throughput of simultaneous read/write transfers to another IDE device a ATA66 and faster are plenty. You can confirm this by using Nero CD-DVD Speed test in Create data Disc. Assuming the DVD burner can handle the blank media at 16X, you’ll see a nice writing curve to max speed.

and it is highly unlikely any manufaturer is going to bring out ATA 100/133 optical drives since they are moving towards SATA interfaces.

[also my reply in the recording thread…]
Thanks for replies. Are you really sure about that, rdgrimes? I’ve been trying for a long time to find out the answer and from the warnings cited in a few ATA controller manuals to what I’ve been told, connecting an ATA-33 device on the same channel with a ATA-100 device will slow it down to ATA-33. This is because ATA doesn’t have a “disconnect” feature (unlike SCSI) to allow that from what I understand.

Basically, what I want to be convinced of, is if ATA doesn’t have disconnect, how are the different speeds negotiated?

While I haven’t the technical experience of some, I do have some direct experience. First, on the issue of the ATA66 connection, I have connected the same ROM drive to an Ultra ATA66 card, an ATA133 IDE connection, and a USB2 connection. When I rip, I get the same results on the IDE and the USB2 but I get an upper limit of 10X when I connect to the ATA66 card. Maybe the difference is that it is a PCI card but clearly it is slower with an optical drive.

Second, when I connect the same ROM drive to an IDE connection shared with a WD DMA 5 drive, I am constantly finding that the IDE connection is reverting to PIO. It is independant of whether the drives are used together; they are not. I have set everything up as DMA, turned off the computer, and come back the next day to find I was at PIO.

From here on out all my HDs will be SATA and I will keep optical drives on IDE for burning or USB2 for reading.

This is due to the fact that most PCI cards will lock optical drives in PIO, despite showing UDMA. Consult the IDE controller thread

Second, when I connect the same ROM drive to an IDE connection shared with a WD DMA 5 drive, I am constantly finding that the IDE connection is reverting to PIO. It is independant of whether the drives are used together; they are not. I have set everything up as DMA, turned off the computer, and come back the next day to find I was at PIO.

This a common Windows issue, well-documented in these forums.

From here on out all my HDs will be SATA and I will keep optical drives on IDE for burning or USB2 for reading.

Good idea for many reasons.

I don’t think that is the case here. When this drive is in PIO mode it is limited to a rip speed of 2.7X. With this card I am getting 8X.

Also I was not presenting the HD/optical drive conflict as new. I was adding evidence to the comments above, “Not since the days of ATA66 controllers have we seen any problems with mixing drives.” which could be taken to mean that there were no conflicts from mixing drives.

Delete