At Wit's End on 811S (and an MSI CD-RW) write problem

vbimport

I’ve been spending most of my free time over the past month going through the threads in this forum looking for a solution to my 811S problem. This is a long message because I want to be sure I’ve accurately reported all the symptoms…

The Problem:
I’m using Nero 6.3.0.3 with the “Verify written Data” box enabled.
Nero reports sucessful burns at all speeds, but then it inevitably fails on the data verification. I’ve burned a dozen CDs’ and DVDs’ worth of Jpeg files, and every one of the files on the burned media that the Nero “written data” verification reports as not matching the source files do indeed have problems. (I.e., I could not read the files that Nero reported as being different from the original source files.)

The above problem occurs when I write to DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, DVD+RWs on my 811S AND when I write to CD-Rs on my MSI CDRW. I originally had both the 811S and my MSI CDRW drive on the same IDE chain, but I’ve also tried moving the 811 and the MSI drive to different IDE buses with the same write/write verification results above.

DVD Burns: KPROBE scans show relatively good scans; I’ve tried RICOHJPN R01 cd+rs, and I’ve also used RITEK R02s. The Riteks yielded slightly better results, but I’m still getting about around 5% of the files getting corrupted during the burns even with the Riteks. (I’ve attached ONE of the KPROBE scans from one of the bad disks below. Keep in mind that I can read the DVD; it’s just that SOME of the files that were burned are corrupted and cannot be read.)

(on the CD-R side, I’m getting around 1% of the files being corrupted; I’ve used Pioneer CDRs, Memorex CDRs, and others with the same lousy results)

I can read the original/source files on my hard drives just fine, so I know there’s not a problem with the source files. In addition, the files that are corrupted during the burns are not/not the same each time – it seems to be random.

What I have:
HARDWARE:

• Lite-On LDW-811S, firmware version HS0P (but I’ve also tried HS0E & HS0K with little difference);
    The 811 is the Master on the secondary IDE bus (but I’ve also tried it as the Master on the Primary IDE bus with no improvement);
    I’m using an ATA-66 cable; I’ve also switched the cable with an ATA-33 cable with no improvement in write quality.
  • MSI 52x CD-RW drive;
  • Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+ with dual AMD Athlon MP 2400s;
  • I’m using a Promise TX4000 raid card in one of the PCI slots. The hard drives are all running from the Promise card;

IDE drivers:

• AMD miniport drivers version 8.2.2 (I’ve also tried both AMD’s older drivers version 1.30 and Windows XP’s built-in drivers with the same problematic results)

ASPI:

• I’ve used both version 4.60 and the latest version 4.71.2 from Adaptec with the same corrupted file problem.

Any suggestions/comments/advice? Do you think it’s poor media?
I’ve already tried switching out the ATA/IDE cables as suggested by various people in other threads; I’ve also tried installing various versions of ASPI and different versions of the 811S firmware with little difference. HELP!!!
:sad:

Have you tried using a different applicaiton to verify the data is indeed ‘corrupted’? I’ve recently heard of a great looking little program called CDCheck that can do a binary compare to make sure every byte on the CD/DVD is the same as the original source.

Also, have you tried using a different application to burn the data yet?

try burning with something other than nero, also try this: How to Fix Liteon DVD Burner Problems

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]Have you tried using a different applicaiton to verify the data is indeed ‘corrupted’? I’ve recently heard of a great looking little program called CDCheck that can do a binary compare to make sure every byte on the CD/DVD is the same as the original source.

Also, have you tried using a different application to burn the data yet? [/B]

Ssseth,
Thanks for the quick response to my post.
I’ve taken your advice and downloaded a copy of CDCheck. It verifies that the same files on my burned DVD+Rs that Nero idenfies as being different from the original source files are indeed different from the source files on my hard drives. I’ve also downloaded a 30-day trial copy of Stomp’s RecordNow version 4.5; although RecordNow does yield better burn quality than Nero (2% of my files being corrupted instead of 10% being corrupted), I am still getting some bad files from burns made with RecordNow.

I’ve already checked out the “How to Fix Liteon DVD Burner Problems” url suggested by ccb056 (Thanks), and I’ve already tried EVERYTHING suggested in that post with no luck. (I.e., I’ve already tried changing the FIRMWARE in my 811; I’ve tried different versions of ASPI provided by Adaptec – including their latest version as well as version 4.60; I’ve tried both Microsoft’s IDE drivers that comes with Windows XP and old and new versions of the drivers provided by AMD for my chipset.)

I’m going to see if Roxio provides a trial version of their media creator software that I can try out. In the meantime, do you have any other advice or suggestions on troubleshooting?

RecordNow comes bundled with your burner (you didn’t need to try the 30 day trial).
If you were having problems finding it on the Sonic CD check here.

[B]Have you tried using a different applicaiton to verify the data is indeed ‘corrupted’? I’ve recently heard of a great looking little program called CDCheck that can do a binary compare to make sure every byte on the CD/DVD is the same as the original source.

Possibly someone apparently obsessed with penisses??
:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by debro
:stuck_out_tongue:

Uhhhhhh… what? Actually I don’t want to know.

PS- This isn’t the CD Freaks living room deb, you probably confused the hell outta this guy. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve tried CdCheck and I have to say that CdCheck gave me quite weird results. Every other app (CdSpeed2000, DVDInfoPro, even CRC progs) said OK but CDCheck found LOADS of errors. Really weird…:confused:

[B]Uhhhhhh… what? Actually I don’t want to know.

PS- This isn’t the CD Freaks living room deb, you probably confused the hell outta this guy. :stuck_out_tongue: [/B]

/me falls off my chair laughing.

thibouille have you tried a binary compare of the actual file contents?

Some of those proggies look like they just check the readabiliy of the dvd, vs actually confirming contents.

No, actually I didn’t… What tool should I use to do that ?

Originally posted by thibouille
No, actually I didn’t… What tool should I use to do that ?

Just use FC in the dos prompt.
It can do a binary compare.
Unfortunately it is a dos thing, meaning it amy not be easy to compare all the files :frowning:

Does anyone know if Discomp will actually work for anything other than floppy discs?

YAHOO!!! Finally figured out that the buit-in ATA adapter on my motherboard has somehow gotten slightly fried (just enough to cause bit errors now and then); I tried different firmwares and drivers from the motherboard and chipset manufacturers with no luck in solving my dvd+r burn problems. (Also tried different versions of software and 811 firmware with no luck.)

I finally installed a pci ata/133 card from SIIG and ran my 811S off the add-on card. (Got the idea from another user in one of the other threads.) I can now burn 4x RICOH dvd+r’s at 8x speed with zero errors – YEHAAAW!!!:bigsmile:

quote:

Originally posted by debro

:confused::iagree: Aren’t we all? I’m obsessed with mine :bigsmile:

Thanks for all the tips.