AT&T wants to retire land-line phone network

vbimport

I just posted the article AT&T wants to retire land-line phone network.

[quote][/quote]

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/att-wants-to-retire-land-line-phone-network-24316/](http://www.myce.com/news/att-wants-to-retire-land-line-phone-network-24316/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I live in Florida. We sometimes have hurricanes. When we do, the power usually goes out and cell towers sometimes don’t work. When power is out, cordless phones don’t work. You have to have at least an old-fashioned, powered-by-the-phone-company, hard-wired-into-the-phone-jack telephone or you risk being incommunicado for some unknown period of time.
I choose to not use the cable TV company’s VOIP phone service because I cannot keep my existing phone number with cable TV VOIP.
I could switch to Skype or some other VOIP service with my DSL service, but so far I am overcome by inertia.

well what phone companies have to do before they can even think of doing stuff like this is to add more broadband to areas. I have Verizon right now and I have been asking them about broadband or highspeed internet for years and years and years but to no avail. If they follow suit then I am screwed as far a communications and internet go. AT&T first get the bandwidth in place then you have my permission to go ahead.

[QUOTE=ferd;2480918]I choose to not use the cable TV company’s VOIP phone service because I cannot keep my existing phone number with cable TV VOIP.
I could switch to Skype or some other VOIP service with my DSL service, but so far I am overcome by inertia.[/QUOTE]
Why would you care what OUTGOING line phone number you have?

If you have to subscribe for a few $ a month, but save $100/month, wouldn’t you be better off with VOIP in addition to your existing service?
I can understand if you don’t make enough calls to warrant it.

That said, I’m VOIP all the way.
Cordless Phone, ATA adapter & ADSL Modem are on a UPS … which should keep them going for a few hours during a blackout/other.