At risk?

vbimport

what does this mean, is it fixable/important?

Doesn’t sound good to me!

Healthy (At Risk)

The Healthy (At Risk) status occurs when a dynamic volume is experiencing I/O errors caused by bad sectors on the physical disk. The disk remaps the bad sectors by using sectors reserved exclusively for remapping. If the errors are transient, you can use the Reactivate Disk command in Disk Management to return the volume to the Healthy status. If the At Risk status persists, your disk might be failing. Back up the data and replace the disk as soon as possible.

Source

Yeah that cant be good, I would suggest that any information you want to save on that hard drive you save it asap !!!

Then you could try a couple of things, try as it says in the quote from dee to re-activate the disk using disk managment, but I would say perhaps even try formatting it and see if that will help you to correct the problems.

it’s a disk that hasn’t been used too!
I used it about a year ago briefly then it was just left in the PC but not used at all.
I’m trying to format it now, fortunately little was on it as I only reactivated yesterday.
Last attempt seemed to get stuck at 52% :frowning:

mmm, seems to not want to get past 51-53%, any ideas?

absolutely brilliant Mr. Brownstone!!

Yo-

LOL - You gotta love it!

Mike

Boat Anchor!!!

ok, oddly it wouldn’t format as a “dynamic disk” it just got to around 53-54% and stuck. I read through the microsoft link and changed it to basic disk instead.

It formatted ok as a basic disc and now appears to be healthy. Scanning for errors shows nothing. Took a while but it seems to be ok?? :eek:

What software did you use to scan the disk for errors?

Why? Because there is no good software that co do errror scanning without erasing the disk. Good scanning software writes different patterns to the disk, reads it back and tests that for failures. Did you use such software?

ah :frowning: just used the microsoft stuff as that had picked up errors in the first place.
What woud you recommend?

Most harddrive manufacturers offer such a tool on their website. I’d advice to try one of those.

If you want a really thorough test, I’d advice you to fire up a Linux Live disc (if I remember correct, you fooled around with SuSe for some time?) and either use the mke2fs or e2fsck command (use the -c -c option to do thorough error testing; it takes a really long time, but it’s pretty darn good).