ASUS Woes

:slight_smile: What has anybody heard about the ASUS CRW-4816A other than it’s seek times. Are they identical besides that?

Thx

The reason for my previous post was I can’t seem to figure out what is going on with my ASUS CRW-4816A.
I does not seem to copy anything with ANY kind of protection.
I’m running WinXP SP1, ASPI 4.60. I’ve used almost every copy program and tried it in multiple drives. I’m out of ideas.

any help would be great.
do I have a pooched burner?

i had that problem to with xp (sp1) and aspi installed.
the asus couldn’t even read back his own burned cd’s
after a clean install (was planning a clean install anyway) with NO aspi installed, just the standard xp drivers it works perfectly.

btw
running windows 2k sp3 now
better SCSI performance.

Now do I has to format, or can I use killaspi to get rid of tha layer? I just finished reinstalling a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks

@ zak2k2: you can use killaspi or you can remove the four files manually.

after reading this and this review it seems to me that the 52 speed asus offers better writing quality.

the asus 48 speed have some problems with the writing quality (C2 error’s) that the asus 52 has not.

Originally posted by Maelstrom

the asus 48 speed have some problems with the writing quality (C2 error’s) that the asus 52 has not.

I agree. I recommend the 40x over the 48x and the 52x over the 48x - so it’s 40x or 52x and there’s little difference in speed. 52x has MtR support.

Originally posted by FutureProof
I agree. I recommend the 40x over the 48x and the 52x over the 48x - so it’s 40x or 52x and there’s little difference in speed. 52x has MtR support.

and that’s why i swapped my Asus 48 speed for an Asus 52 speed today. :slight_smile:
the asus 52 speed is just perfect