ASUS vs. LiteON (esp. @ high speeds)

vbimport

what are the differences betwx these 2. i know they can both do SD2.51.xx but any other differences or similarities?

I know also that the liteon 40x (not Pcav)is 0.2x quicker, on average than the 40x ASUS.

One great advantange for LiteOn is… firmware update to Pcav and also Mt Rainer support. Asus has no news about it so far… also it’s a bit slower as in Cdrlabs.com’s review.

From the review, media compability of LiteOn is better than the Asus.

That’s all I know. :slight_smile:

oh ya… asus40x can only read cdrw media at 32x max. while liteon, 40x… and of course the asus drive looks much more better. liteon one looks too ‘plain’. i am also deciding between asus and liteon…

oh ya… asus40x can only read cdrw media at 32x max

Where did u come up?My Asus 40/12/48 reads cdrw at max speed no worries.

One great advantange for LiteOn is… firmware update to Pcav and also Mt Rainer support

Thats if they decide to release the fw update for the 40x.

what are the differences betwx these 2. i know they can both do SD2.51.xx but any other differences or similarities?

I know also that the liteon 40x (not Pcav)is 0.2x quicker, on average than the 40x ASUS.

There both great Cdrw’s,the only main diiference is that the Asus will read every thing(Safedisc,Libcript,SecuROM, LaserLock etc)as well as burn it where the lite-on can’t read every thing and requiers a partner reader ie lite-on dvd,toshiba etc.

Either way you shouldn’t have any problems with either burners.

Well, I got that piece of info from CDRLabs review…

Are you sure Asus40x can read CDRW media(not CDR) at max speed??? It could be a deciding factor for me on which drive to get!

they are practically the same drive, they use the same chipset

Well, I got that piece of info from CDRLabs review…

Are you sure Asus40x can read CDRW media(not CDR) at max speed??? It could be a deciding factor for me on which drive to get!

Well even if it’s only reading cdrw at 32x,big deal,at the end of the day your only talking about a few seconds difference and unless your mass producing cd’s does it really matter.

they are practically the same drive, they use the same chipset

True,true,you’ll find that most burners are running the same chip now.

From CDRinfo 40x burners roundup, it seems like Asus40x firmware is immature. Poor media compability… Which mean if you can’t find a suitable media for it, it won’t burn at 40x(Flextra Speed can’t be turned off, unlike LiteOn’s).

From CDRinfo 40x burners roundup, it seems like Asus40x firmware is immature. Poor media compability… Which mean if you can’t find a suitable media for it, it won’t burn at 40x(Flextra Speed can’t be turned off, unlike LiteOn’s).

First off,don’t believe every thing u read.

Second,if all u can do is find fault with the Asus,buy the Lite-on.

Originally posted by PaRaNoiD
There both great Cdrw’s,the only main diiference is that the Asus will read every thing(Safedisc,Libcript,SecuROM, LaserLock etc)as well as burn it where the lite-on can’t read every thing and requiers a partner reader ie lite-on dvd,toshiba etc.
Can the ASUS read K2A?

Can the ASUS read K2A?

I don’t know,I don’t have any music cd’s with K2A or CDS.

Originally posted by PaRaNoiD

I think your quote is wrong the LiteOn can read all of those, except I think K2A and CDS.

The main difference I see is as for quality, the LiteOn I got the casing of 24102B certainly feels cheap that’s one bad thing, looking at the ASUS in the shops it looks much more better casing.

Also, LiteOn has problems reading some Audio CDs of mine - get pops in the sound - maybe the CD was protected.

The main difference I see is as for quality, the LiteOn I got the casing of 24102B certainly feels cheap that’s one bad thing, looking at the ASUS in the shops it looks much more better casing.

There are more differences between the two than just the case.

I am always trying not to believe what I read about Asus drive because I LOVE the design of Asus’ and love its CloneCD read speed. I am more towards the Asus than LiteOn, but one thing good about LiteOn is the Mt Rainier support and also Pcav.

:wink:

LITE-ON: Cheap, does everything except protected audio. Not very ‘beautiful’ faceplate.
ASUS: Expensive, does everything except protected audio (?). Nicer faceplate.

<DISCLAIMER>
I don’t know if ASUS does CDS or K2A, so don’t blame me if it does… But same chipset would mean same abilities… :slight_smile:
</DISCLAIMER>

And I hate the damn tray on asus drives :mad:

It’s very hard to push to get it start to slide in and I can’t easily reach the eject button when the tray is open…

Beside that, yes the tray design is much better.

About immature firmware: yes, and asus do normally not release updated firmware versions either.

Want a good looking Lite-On? Why not buy the TDK Lite-On clone? Take a look here to find out what it looks like: http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/articles.hwz?cid=10&aid=426&page=2

Ooooh that’s one nice looking Lite-ON!

Me wants… Do TDK release updated firmwares…? :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Airhead
LITE-ON: Cheap, does everything except protected audio.
LITEONs can write everything, they only cant read CDS / K2A. U know that , righjt?

I’ve successfully ripped all music from the newest celine dion disc with a LTR-32123S XS0U firmware.

More to come :wink:

Originally posted by OC-Freak
[B]I’ve successfully ripped all music from the newest celine dion disc with a LTR-32123S XS0U firmware.

More to come :wink: [/B]

Note: you ripped a Key2audio v3 protected cd. My ltr-40125s (zsoa) is able to read Key2audio v3 but NOT Key2audio v2…

Maybe you need a Key2audio v2 cd (Shakira - Laundry service) too… sent me a pm if you need it!