Asus vs. Lite-On

vbimport

Well?

Things I'm concerned about:

DCR bit set to 1: Lite-On doesn't support this. What about Asus?

The number of errors when blackchecks "efmgame" is burned, and then read with a drive that is very tough for reading SD2 copies. I don't know for either drive.

Speed when reading (Already know the answer to this :wink: ).

Well?

Note: I will personally flame to a crisp anyone who just says "Lite-On Rulez" or "Asus Rulez".

Asus Rulez

lite-on rulez;)

hehe

such an effective debate.

But im going to go with slayerking and vote for litey!

My 40 hasn’t given me any problems

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]such an effective debate.

My 40 hasn’t given me any problems [/B]

Yes, but that doesn’t really tell me anything. They both have the same “credentials” as far as backing up games, but I’m only interested in the items listed above.

Originally posted by Bloodstar007
[B]such an effective debate.

My 40 hasn’t given me any problems [/B]
Well, it seemed like a challenge. I love a challenge. I have no idea what a DCR bit is either :wink:

Well if it was something like a Motherboard i would say

Asus :slight_smile:

“Asus Rulez”

• SirDavidGuy. :bigsmile:

And not look any further - but its not.

Try e-mailing the the manufactures and see what they say - if anything.

The Asus spec says that the drive supports ATA 100. Liteon is UDMA 33. Wouldn’t this make a difference?

What is a DCR bit, anyway?

ATA 100 is nonsense for CD drives. U33 is enough

ATA 100 is nonsense for CD drives. U33 is enough

I agree with you there, alexnoe

ATA100? Is it even possible? I haven’t seen or heard of any CD drives above 75x and that’s only a maximum of 11.2 MB/s. What’s the point of using ATA100 when you can’t even get close to 20MB/s? It seems Asus is puting pointless feature on their drives to make it cooler.

U33 allows about 25 MB/s (checked it with a WD 800 BB by connection it to my onboard U33 controller).

So the slowest drive that should use U66 instead of U33 is a 20x DVD-ROM.

DVD-ROMs and CD-ROMs are different. A 1x CD-ROM can transfer a maximum of 150k of data and a 1x DVD-ROM is like 1MB (Not sure how much data it can read at 1x but I’m sure it’s more than 150k for DVDs.)

Joninator - Please cut down you stupidly long signature. It is just a nuisance having to scroll through pages of someones signature - if you want to show off your hardware post it in a thread, so people only have to look at it once, if they want to. Not repeatedly in your signature where ever you go and post :wink:

See here if Futureproof, a mod can do it so can you… :slight_smile: his sig used to be over 30 lines long, saying simillar things to yours.

BTW Aopen claim their X16 DVD rom can transfer at up to 22160 KB/sec and sony claim theirs will do 21,632KB/sec Max, so i am guessing that X1 DVD read is ment to be about 1500KB/sec -> X10 as fast as a X1 CD read of 150KB/sec :rolleyes:

Although http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci214118,00.html quotes X1 DVD as 1.25MB/sec -> 1280KB/sec in my book

Some ne correct me if i am wrong.

1x DVD is 1380 kB/s (this is what Nero says when burning a dvd). That’s why I said that a 20x DVD-ROM should use U66.

nb-

I have changed my sig. Is this short enough? Sorry about the long sig.

Well that still doesn’t tell us what this DCR business is all about… Won’t you tell us? You got my curiosity piqued…

Originally posted by SirDavidGuy

DCR bit set to 1: Lite-On doesn’t support this. What about Asus?

Originally posted by Joninator
[B]nb-

I have changed my sig. Is this short enough? Sorry about the long sig. [/B]

Much better :slight_smile:

Originally posted by nb-
[B]

Much better :slight_smile: [/B]

could you stay on topic please ?

The Asus spec says that the drive supports ATA 100. Liteon is UDMA 33. Wouldn’t this make a difference?

The Asus will support UDMA 33,Ultra DMA 2, multi-word DMA mode 2, and PIO Mode 4.

Where did you see it say ATA 100?