ASUS v Lite-On

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]it’s bloody fast on read and write, and can defeat CDS200. It can also write the new SecuROM * new * (NWN & WCIII) easily… the Liteys can’t :wink:

look here and here [/B]

I’m sorry, but I beg to differ. I have made working backups of Neverwinter and Warcraft 3 using both Liteons 32s and 40s. The problem with most people is the reader, and the Toshiba sdm1612 I have no probs even backing up new games like Ndfspd 2, sims unleashed, with the new versions of safedisc 2.8xx. Of course i used Clonny xxl (2006) to scan and Clone cd (4001) to write.

Originally posted by Sashow

…I have made working backups of Neverwinter and Warcraft 3 using both Liteons 32s and 40s. The problem with most people is the reader,

Yes that was my point; In the main, Lite-On units became ‘unreliable’ subs readers from WC3 onwards (SecuROM). Most can’t read and write WC3 onwards.

…I have no probs even backing up new games like … sims unleashed, with the new versions of safedisc 2.8xx.

There is not wide success with Lite-On + CloneCD + SD2.80.x; in fact I’d describe it as near fluke and due more to a bug in SafeDisc (which is not uncommon and confirmed by Elby testers). The ‘Error’ engine of CloneCD is being updated to overcome the problems associated with bad/weak sector reading & writing. None of my Lite-On units can do it. I had to use ASUS + DiscJuggler but there are other soft apps that can do it as well.

…Of course i used Clonny xxl (2006) to scan and Clone cd (4001) to write.

If you know the protection, then Clony is irrelevant. My tests show that it frequently passes the wrong settings to CloneCD, if it works for you, great.