Asus to launch Raidr PCI Express SSDs in May - Two SF controllers in RAID 0

vbimport

I just posted the article Asus to launch Raidr PCI Express SSDs in May - Two SF controllers in RAID 0.

Asus will start the sales of the previously announced Raidr Express SSDs by half May.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/asus-to-launch-raidr-pci-express-ssds-in-may-two-sf-controllers-in-raid-0-66892/](http://www.myce.com/news/asus-to-launch-raidr-pci-express-ssds-in-may-two-sf-controllers-in-raid-0-66892/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Unfortunately these will degrade faster than a single drive because TRIM does not support Raid so this drive will stay dirty. Plus they are only available in 240gb as the biggest one. The price will most probably be exorbitant . Nice find though.

Raid zero. Twice as fast, twice as likely to die.

Having had three ssds die (four technically) out of 4 I’ve bought, pairing two of them doesn’t appeal to me.

Given that this is bolted straight to the pcie bus, and is two ssds in parallel, the performance seems rather bland.

Its almost like they’ve thrown two 2yr old ssds on a pcie card with a cheap sata controller and tweaked the firmware a tad.

[QUOTE=debro;2685077]Raid zero. Twice as fast, twice as likely to die.

Having had three ssds die (four technically) out of 4 I’ve bought, pairing two of them doesn’t appeal to me.

Given that this is bolted straight to the pcie bus, and is two ssds in parallel, the performance seems rather bland.

Its almost like they’ve thrown two 2yr old ssds on a pcie card with a cheap sata controller and tweaked the firmware a tad.[/QUOTE]
I have to admit, and maybe I am the lucky one, but I have never had a Sandforce drive die on me yet and I have had more than 15 of them.

Alan1476, afaik Sandrorce lifespan is 100k+ rewrites or 3 - 5 year/ intensive use. If you have that many drives then they will last longer then you… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=pinto2;2685081]Alan1476, afaik Sandrorce lifespan is 100k+ rewrites or 3 - 5 year/ intensive use. If you have that many drives then they will last longer then you… :)[/QUOTE]
They are not all installed and they span from Vertex 2s to Corsair Force GT and GS drives, with about a dozen other in between. But they all still work.

[QUOTE=pinto2;2685081]Alan1476, afaik Sandrorce lifespan is 100k+ rewrites or 3 - 5 year/ intensive use. If you have that many drives then they will last longer then you… :)[/QUOTE]
Given that three of mine were in white-box work PC’s, installed by “professional” PC assemblers … and the persons using them were … light users …I can only assume that the SSD’s were bored to death …

These would make an interesting Super-Large RAMDisk, though. Fill them with easily replicable data, such as matching incoming items with a warehouse’s orders and incoming item lists.

Or on our audio software, load up the 64-million tones and match those against any other signal for ‘de-composition’ matchings.

The fate of the data on the drives would be less meaningful, that way, because the base data would be replicable and only New Inputs would need to be re-run. (Of course, in a warehouse, that could mean 180,000 items per hour, too… hmmm. “Sorry folks, go pull everything off the shelves and let’s re-run this inventory… only 9 acres to go…”)

Still, I can’t imagine volatile data stored in RAID0. Have two of these devices - one for programs, and one for my Base Data Matching processes. Great fun!

I think 1 SSD with a 5 year life span might last longer than me. I am 71 and not getting any younger. I just want to live long enough to see a 1 Yottabyte SSD that’s all. ;):bigsmile:

Ha Ha

For those of you that don’t know (which included me before googling) 1 yottabyte = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Regds, JR

Yottabyte… lordy. Do you realize how many chiclet-keypad associations might be mistaken for a ‘Yb’ character-set? 14Yb. “Why be wot? Why be 14?” I can hardly wait. Yottabyte. I can hardly wait.

I do, however, have a great need for some 4Yb drives, by the way. RAID 5-6-10 those, and maybe I’d never have to crack another DVD case again!

[QUOTE=JReynolds;2685239]Ha Ha

For those of you that don’t know (which included me before googling) 1 yottabyte = 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Regds, JR[/QUOTE]
I’ll settle for a Zetabyte. LOL. :wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2685372]I’ll settle for a Zetabyte. LOL. ;)[/QUOTE]

A thousand times less (googled again) - you are so easily pleased

I don’t know what these smilies have got to do with anything - marloyd pointed me in the direction of his secret stash and I just wanted to use them :slight_smile:

Regds, JR :slight_smile: