ASUS SLIM EXT. DVD-RW firmware

Hi, I bought this Asus slim external burner but it does seem to have any specific model number or rather the model number is a description instead of a code. First I need help identifying if this burner has a real model number, second thing is whether there are any mod firmwares for it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi,

is there no information on the sticker of the drive? How is it identified in Device Manager or CD/DVD burning software?

In general, firmware support for slim drives is mediocre at best. This applies even to official firmware updates.

Michael

In device manager the name shows up as follows: “Slimtype DVD A DS8A4S USB Device”.

The sticker on the device has 3 things, a model number, a long serial number and a longer part number.
The Model number typed on the sticker is “SLIM EXT. DVD-RW/BK”.
The part number and serial number are extremely long to type out but I doubt they would be of any use. Let me know.

One thing I am wondering is if this is an actual Asus drive or just a rebranded drive. I want to have an idea of the quality of the drive.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Darkseid001;2544256]One thing I am wondering is if this is an actual Asus drive or just a rebranded drive.[/QUOTE]

It’s a rebranded PLDS (Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions) drive.

[QUOTE=pepst;2544264]It’s a rebranded PLDS (Philips & Lite-On Digital Solutions) drive.[/QUOTE]Is that good or bad?
I am familiar with the firmware mods for Lite-on desktop internal drives as I am using the firmware mods by c0deking on all my desktop burners. Are there any enhanced or modified firmwares for this drive?

[QUOTE=Darkseid001;2544256]In device manager the name shows up as follows: “Slimtype DVD A DS8A4S USB Device”.
[/QUOTE]

Can you create a firmware dump using CK’s Flash Utility and let us have a copy of the firmware please?

Thanks! :flower:

[QUOTE=cvs;2544470]Can you create a firmware dump using CK’s Flash Utility and let us have a copy of the firmware please?

Thanks! :flower:[/QUOTE]Sure.
http://www.multiupload.com/NBUKZ5XTTF
Let me know if that is what you want.

[QUOTE=Darkseid001;2544481]Sure.
http://www.multiupload.com/NBUKZ5XTTF
Let me know if that is what you want.[/QUOTE]

That’s great, thank you! :flower:

The only other OEM firmware I’m aware of for this drive model is the DS-8A4S JD12 from DELL. Now we have two! :bigsmile:

You should be able to use the traditional LiteON tools to make the drive RPC1 and possibly enable bitsetting I would think. Other than doing the above to enhance the capabilities of the drive, there are no CK enhanced/moded firmwares available for slim drives …