ASUS revs their hardware again! v. 24B1ST i

So i just ordered a ASUS 24B1ST last week from Newegg and received a ASUS 24B1ST i manufactured July 2013. Who is the OEM of this drive? From the looks of the housing I’m guessing it’s an Optiarc descendant. It’s got a 1.00 firmware.

Short of opening it up and voiding the warranty, is there any way to confirm?

Download and run Liggy’s Binflash to see whether the Drive is found or not.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700241]Download and run Liggy’s Binflash to see whether the Drive is found or not.[/QUOTE]The drive is not found. I tried that already.

Could you show screenshots of the eeprom utility and flash utility with the drive selected? Thanks.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700243]Could you show screenshots of the eeprom utility and flash utility with the drive selected? Thanks.[/QUOTE]Here you go:

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2700245]Here you go:[/QUOTE]

Does the Drive support Disc Quality Test and report jitter ? What is the buffer size of the Drive? Thanks.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700246]Does the Drive support Disc Quality Test and report jitter ? What is the buffer size of the Drive? Thanks.[/QUOTE]768k according to ODC. I’ll check on the scanning once the burn I’m working on is done.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2700247]768k according to ODC. I’ll check on the scanning once the burn I’m working on is done.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700246]Does the Drive support Disc Quality Test and report jitter ?[/QUOTE]Seems to though it doesn’t show jitter quite like my iHBS112 2 does.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2700252]Seems to though it doesn’t show jitter quite like my iHBS112 2 does.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ! Please upload the eeprom back up if eeprom utility can do so.

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700253]Thanks ! Please upload the eeprom back up if eeprom utility can do so.[/QUOTE]Doesn’t work.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2700254]Doesn’t work.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Till now I can only confirm the Drive is not a clone of Liteon iHASX24 C/D/W, Pioneer DVR-221L, LG GH24NS95/B0, Samsung SH224BB/DB, Optiarc AD-7280. I guess it is a clone of new Liteon Drive which has a MT1882N chipset on board.

Who needs a warranty anyhow!

[QUOTE=anywhere;2700256]I guess it is a clone of new Liteon Drive which has a MT1882N chipset on board.[/QUOTE]You have quite the crystal ball there. What Lite-On Drive has the MT1882N chipset?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2700265]Who needs a warranty anyhow!
You have quite the crystal ball there. What Lite-On Drive has the MT1882N chipset?[/QUOTE]

Just guess Liteon will release soon.

Asus has been known to use LG as an OEM supplier, how do you know it’s not a GH24NS95/96, since that has a MT1882N chipset with a 768-KB buffer size?

[QUOTE=KTL;2700267]Asus has been known to use LG as an OEM supplier, how do you know if it’s not a GH24NS95/96, since that has a MT1882N chipset with a 768-KB buffer size?[/QUOTE]Well, I have a GH24NS95. The metal housing of the GH24NS95 is very different from the 24B1ST i. The metal housing of the 24B1ST i closely resembles the last few Optiarc drives I have (726xS / 5280S). The top looks identical. The bottom is a little different with on 2 screws instead of 4 and slightly different inset areas.

[QUOTE=KTL;2700267]Asus has been known to use LG as an OEM supplier, how do you know it’s not a GH24NS95/96, since that has a MT1882N chipset with a 768-KB buffer size?[/QUOTE]

report jitter and information from flash
utility

I see. The DRW-24D3ST has been known as a GH24NS95/96 clone, so it would be rather redundant to have another LG clone. It seems like Asus likes to regurgitate the 24B1ST naming model over-and-over again for the USA market, with the addition of an extra letter afterwards to note the difference.

So what forum am I supposed to start the results / discussion thread in, or is this thread it pending a mod renaming it?

FWIW, with my burning so far the drive seems to be a pretty crappy burner.

Since it’s identified as an Asus, keep it here with a new thread.