ASUS "Q-Shield"

vbimport

Say, what’s your experiences with the ASUS “Q-Shield”??

Mine is horror! Maybe I didn’t get it and did something wrong. How do you exactly do the motherboard/Q-Shield installation?

I clipped in the Q-Shield in from the inside(!) of the case. Then I put the motherboard into the case above the mounting screws. I had to use incredible power (relative) to push the motherboard into the Q-Shield in order to be above the mounting screws with the mounting holes! Of course, the mounting screws scratch the motherboard’s back while doing so! :a

This can’t be normal, can it?? How is this thing to be used correctly? Do I have to put the motherboard into the case with the Q-Shield put on the motherboad instead? Or to clip in the Q-Shield from the outside of the case after motherboard installation?

Also see my thread by the way about solder bumps around the mounting holes at the back(!) side.

On mine, I clipped the q shield onto the case then inserted the motherboard into it, and then screwed the motherboard into the brass stand offs. Honestly, I never grounded my motherboard because I didn’t know how, but I was able to get the screw on a little too tight, which mashed the solder around the screw hole. It was terrible. I don’t think it had any effect on my system overall, though my q shield does fit the motherboard quite funky. It is actually kind of hard to attach usb devices on the back because the abnormality of how Asus designed the board/q shield. It’s very weird and doesn’t seem to fit right at all.

This sounds like more of a problem with your cases…

@Jusdafide:

Yeah, somehow it doesn’t, does it. Did you need to push the motherboard hardly into the Q-Shield to be over the brass standoffs? That would be really important for me to know. Many thanks!

And also: What chassis do you have? (see Bob’s post)

@Bob:

This is an interesting point. I had a hec COMPUCASE chassis, which isn’t a CHIEFTEC but isn’t crap on the hand as well.

Could you please describe how hard you needed to push the board into the Q-Shield to be above the brass standoffs, and what chassis this was done in? Many thanks!

Well, my Case is a Cooler Master Centurion 5

Here’s the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

I actually had to have my wife help me push the motherboard into the q-shield because it was being rather difficult. No offense Bob, but I don’t think it’s a case problem. It’s definitely the mobo or the q shield. Why would 2 different people with different cases have the same problem?

Even though mine is on there, after reading your post I think I might remove it and try to reinstall it because it doesn’t look right. It actually looks quite forced and probably needs to be fixed. It was a real pain to get it in the Q shield in the first place and my mobo didn’t seem to want to be placed into it.

EDIT: I have an ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard (w/o built in wifi)

(1) That’s it. As we all know, Centurion is a top quality case. No more doubts about the case question.

(2) With “had to have my wife help me push the motherboard into the q-shield because it was being rather difficult” you mean purely the power that was necessary and not aligning problems etc, correct? Because if so, then the case is clear. I pushed it alone and my arms shaked from pushing (I had no help). It was that hard.

I can’t wait to read how hard Bob had to push the board in.

(3) Jusdafide, I had the same thoughts and then I did take the board out and did put it in again (had to push like mad again). There was no way to make it better. Connecting USB cables through the shield still was a bit hard and still had that strange feel. And in the inside the board still looked forced into that second installation as well. So I doubt that it would change things to take the board out. Because of the design characterisitics of the Q-Shield the motherboard cannot hang or fit wrongly at any position.

Sorry I have to post No. 2 again, because I left out the most important word:

(2) With “had to have my wife help me push the motherboard into the q-shield because it was being rather difficult” you mean purely the power that was necessary and [B]NOT[/B] aligning problems etc, correct? Because if so, then the case is clear. I pushed it alone and my arms shaked from pushing (I had no help). It was that hard.

I think Asus needed to design the board a little better. The q-shield was really funky and didn’t want to fit the motherboard. I almost had to bend the q-shield just to make the motherboard fit and it was still awkward. The mobo didn’t want to go into the q-shield, almost like it was designed for another board altogether. As soon as I tightened the screws, I saw the solder come off. I quickly removed the screw and wiped off the pieces thinking, crap, I wonder if this will affect my warranty.

It really was unnecessary to put that solder around the screws. Also, my wife had to push on the board while I held the case and inserted the first couple of screws, after that she let go. Once the board is mounted to the case, or before, it just doesn’t want to line up with the q-shield. This results in a few of the usb’s being rather difficult to use. I have to push really hard with a usb cable and it almost makes a grinding noise as it scrapes against the q-shield.

This was my first build so I didn’t know what to expect, though I didn’t expect that. I don’t know if removing the screws will help considering the fact that I already have a Tuniq Tower mounted and it would be rather difficult to take out the top left corner mobo screw. I think I’ll just leave it alone now that it’s mounted as I don’t want to cause any problems with something that works “okay.” Better okay than not at all.

I hope this helps in your decision to keep the board, get rid of it, or not to buy this type again. I think my board is okay for now. As soon as my new ram comes in I’ll get this bad boy up and running again and enjoy the rest of the month on Crysis.

-PEACE-

Yes it absolutely did help me with a minimal chance of me buying an ASUS P5Q-E instead of a Foxconn P45A-S. But that almost for sure wouldn’t have been the case anyway. Many many thanks for reporting! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

P.S.: You also mentioned the solder. Here’s another thread I started.

[QUOTE=georgekellerman;2074528]I can’t wait to read how hard Bob had to push the board in.[/QUOTE]The shield, i had to use the butt end of a screwdriver to kind of tap/ lightly beat in the case. As far as mounting the board through the shield…no problems. I have a Thermaltake Armor case so maybe the size of it made a difference? My old build was about the same in an Ultra case. You can click on my build pics in my sig and see.

I’m not saying you not having any problems though :slight_smile:

Bob, the P5B Deluxe has no so-called ASUS Q-Shield. It’s a special design by ASUS and has no usual “fingers”, but a totally flat, thick cushioned aluminum wrapping instead.

That’s why you didn’t experience those problems. :slight_smile:

Sorry i thought you were talking about the I/O shield? Where is a pic of this Q-Shield?

Looking at the parts in this link > http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f10/asus-p5k-pro-oc-review-42048/#post164472

Guess i would have to see it in person…

No, I’M sorry for not making it clearer. Many thanks for helping. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=georgekellerman;2074739]No, I’M sorry for not making it clearer. Many thanks for helping. :slight_smile: :)[/QUOTE]I tried to help sorry :doh: :slight_smile:

Now i need to find out what a dang Asus Q-Shield looks like…

Edit:
ahhhh a Q-Shield is the I/O shield. See what this person has to say about it > http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5e3_premium/2.htm

And again i would have to put one of these boards in myself to see what the problem is.

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4=0&model=1930&modelmenu=1

When you scroll down, there’s a little description by ASUS.

You rarely have to use force rather some “wiggle” to get the connectors to fit into the I/O-shield but Compucase isnt really that good so I wouldnt be surprised if they have 1 mm off which may make it a lot harder to fit.
//Danne

Yeah, I’d have to say those fingers on the q-shield were the worst Idea ever…

I thought I had replied with another question but I’ll repeat it again. My new build is up and running. I have cables all over the place but I’m waiting to find out how to install my q-shield. My mobo is an ASUS P7P55D Pro; the case is a CoolerMaster HFA932.

From the earlier posting, I think I need to remove the mobo and then insert the q-shield. Looking at it I’m not sure how it mounts. Does it mount from the inside or outside? What holds it in place? Assuming I get the q-shield mounted, I then proceed to remount the mobo. I seems I’ll have to “wiggle” the mobo into the q-shield and then put the mounting screws in. Is this correct?

Thanks for your help